Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 12:43 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times

Advertisements

What is a good folding knife that wont fold back and cut off my fingers after a hard/heavy use?

Lets say I need to poke through something kind of tough like rubber, or sheet rock.

I have used some folding multi-tools on wood and have had it accidently fold on me, and cut me. Not fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 02:07 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,483,397 times
Buck 110.folder.

Old 07-05-2019, 06:32 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,637,093 times
Hard to go wrong with any folder incorporating an Axis Lock.

The Incredible AXIS Lock

Old 07-05-2019, 08:44 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,595,331 times
I use a fixed blade knife, not a folder, for hard tasks. A Mora in Stainless is my favorite—inexpensive and indestructable.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:43 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,310,989 times
Well, the gold standard for cutting things like sheet rubber or drywall is the Stanley utility knife with retractable blade. Go get one of those and use the correct tool for the job. Just like you wouldn't use a utility knife to carry round in your pocket everyday to open letters and packages and sharpen your pencil with.

Same thing with cutting wood (you don't explain what it is that you were using a multi-tool for, working in wood). There are a host of properly designed tools for working in wood that do their jobs correctly.

The purpose of carrying the multi-tool is for times when you can't carry a proper kit of tools and you need something that will kind of do the job halfway and get you through an immediate need, till you can fix whatever it is properly. So, for example, you have something whose screw is about to fall out and get lost in the grass, and you're out in the middle of nowhere. So you use the multi-tool to put the screw back in and kind of halfway tighten it (you can't really bear down on those things, because they'll twist off the blade). But if you need to tighten 50 screws, and you need to really get them damn tight, you use a proper screwdriver with a properly sized handle and a blade made out of good steel that properly fits the screw.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:47 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I use a fixed blade knife, not a folder, for hard tasks. A Mora in Stainless is my favorite—inexpensive and indestructable.
If one was on the run they would want the folding blade or good fixed blade. But if your setting up a camp the bow saw, like these: https://woodworkingtoolkit.com/best-bow-saw-reviews/, are the best option. You can cut a lot of wood and most of them are fairly light weight; plus they are reasonably priced. Extra blades for those saws are also very light to carry.

I just think it is a matter of picking the right tool for the right job. Of course , if I had access to fuel and oil and did not worry about noise; I'd take a chainsaw over any of them! But the OP has to be a little more precise on what they expect to cut with their folding knife.

Old 07-05-2019, 01:49 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,344,024 times
I have several folding knives I use here on the farm but by far my favorite is a Schrade 293. A bit too large to carry in a dress suit but just right for blue jeans.

I believe Buck also still makes some pretty dependable folding knives.

Old 07-05-2019, 05:27 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,673,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
If one was on the run they would want the folding blade or good fixed blade. But if your setting up a camp the bow saw, like these: https://woodworkingtoolkit.com/best-bow-saw-reviews/, are the best option. You can cut a lot of wood and most of them are fairly light weight; plus they are reasonably priced. Extra blades for those saws are also very light to carry.

I just think it is a matter of picking the right tool for the right job. Of course , if I had access to fuel and oil and did not worry about noise; I'd take a chainsaw over any of them! But the OP has to be a little more precise on what they expect to cut with their folding knife.
You can make your own bow saw frame out of scrap wood. A quick google found one that is a takedown model that would be easier to pack than a steel frame saw. In addition to an extra blade or two, I think spare cord for the tensioner would be a good idea. The rest of it you could whittle with a good lock blade knife.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/5044807...BoCy2EQAvD_BwE

Old 07-05-2019, 08:09 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What is a good folding knife that wont fold back and cut off my fingers after a hard/heavy use?

Lets say I need to poke through something kind of tough like rubber, or sheet rock.

I have used some folding multi-tools on wood and have had it accidently fold on me, and cut me. Not fun.
I had a Benchmade but I broke it. I use a Gerber multitool these days

Old 07-05-2019, 08:11 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,961,779 times
spyderco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness