Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 07:11 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
"In a world where people call 911 when their order isn't right at McDonald's, well, this kind of behavior is why there are projections of a 90%+ die off in the event of a significant disaster."

Poll: Is this person a prepper or not?!

[youtube...
She will do well in some ganglord's stable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2019, 03:05 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times
We may be the land of fruits and nuts, but that lady isn't one of ours.

In a long term outage, we're toast. You're talking about 39M people that already look out for numero uno in place where it doesn't rain for 9 months of the year.

Old 11-15-2019, 04:07 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
We may be the land of fruits and nuts, but that lady isn't one of ours.

In a long term outage, we're toast. You're talking about 39M people that already look out for numero uno in place where it doesn't rain for 9 months of the year.
She's a perfect member of your society. She worries about her favorite fast food—not fire suppression. There are currently operable systems. However, I seem to be the only one here who is thinking about it or—heaven forbid—doing something about it. People in Maine have little to worry about, but plenty of others, particularly residents of the dry western states, do. People love to prepare for the most unlikely situations but never for common occurrences. They know that the government will save them from those—or at least give it a try.

Old 11-21-2019, 01:41 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,274,703 times
We were able to send text messages after Hurricane katrina - until the tower fell over. It had been damaged during the storm!

Long live short wave radio!

Old 11-21-2019, 02:21 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
We were able to send text messages after Hurricane katrina - until the tower fell over. It had been damaged during the storm!

(Get a Ham license, and learn to string your own dipole.)

Old 11-24-2019, 02:58 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
(Get a Ham license, and learn to string your own dipole.)
And use it in between events. When something bad happens you can operate.

Old 11-25-2019, 04:28 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
They whine and complain in California, but most do nothing. They'll be fortunate if their only loss is electric power. I know what I'd do—move.

They don't even prepare for the inevitable. Their last minute buying will solve nothing.

https://trib.com/news/national/milli...e3f27346a3e334
Go ahead....try it. Try moving after you have a good job, a house, investments, family and kids settled in school, friends, maybe a business etc. see how easy it is to just pack up and move. It’s easy to say just move. For me to move it would literally cost me hundreds of thousands of dollars in commissions, taxes and other costs if I just up and moved. Forget losing a great well paying job, great medical coverage which my wife needs, retirement etc. It’s not as easy as just move.

The only time moving is easy is if all your earthly possessions fit inside a vehicle and you have a McJob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
California passed a law that all new construction has to include solar panels. The irony is that the vast majority of people have grid tie systems which means their solar-equipped homes have zero electricity when the grid is down.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/09/b...lar-power.html
Easily remedied with a back up supply like a Tesla powerwall or equivalent.

Old 11-25-2019, 06:59 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Go ahead....try it. Try moving after you have a good job, a house, investments, family and kids settled in school, friends, maybe a business etc. see how easy it is to just pack up and move. It’s easy to say just move. For me to move it would literally cost me hundreds of thousands of dollars in commissions, taxes and other costs if I just up and moved. Forget losing a great well paying job, great medical coverage which my wife needs, retirement etc. It’s not as easy as just move.

The only time moving is easy is if all your earthly possessions fit inside a vehicle and you have a McJob.

Easily remedied with a back up supply like a Tesla powerwall or equivalent.
I have done it. Got sick of hurricanes and the situation in south Florida and left. One of the smartest moves I've made - and I've made many.

Medical coverage though, I completely understand. There is a national failure on that which goes beyond the topics acceptable for this forum.

Old 11-26-2019, 04:43 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
I moved too.
I left the security of a high paying job with full benefits, bought a small ranch. I retired but I'm far from Medicare age or drawing my full retirement pension.

So I found a job for pocket money, it also has full benefits even though the wages aren't great, the area I moved to is a much, MUCH cheaper place to live. Between the money from my investments, income from ranch production and the new job, I'm in better shape cashwise than I was working for higher wages.

It can be done, but it takes some work and some planning.

Old 11-26-2019, 10:47 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Definitely ironic... Couldn't you install some sort of transfer switch on a grid tie system to make it work when the grid is down? Granted you wouldn't have batteries, but while the sun is shining? Anyways a grid tie system is dumb IMO, go big or go home .
I would assume you could. My house and my next door neighbor have switches to remove us from the grid if there's a power outage and we want to run the generators. Otherwise the generator powers the whole neighborhood.

Anyone that has a whole-house generator has to remove themselves from the grid before powering on the generator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness