Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 12:16 PM

508 posts, read 527,617 times

Advertisements

Does Grocery chain get Oxygen Absorbers?
===============================

Thanks for weighing in.

I am trying to find Oxygen Absorbers preserve foods (only need few of them) . I am not able to find those in local retail stores. It shows up on on-line only.

When Grocery/retail get Oxygen Absorbers in their big pallets (food/grocery) to protect their foods?

I did check with local grocery manager. He said, that they are not getting those ?

Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2019, 03:21 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Most grocery/retail stores get theirs prepacked with the goods. Since the fresh nonpackaged products seldom remain on the shelves long enough to need an oxygen absorbed before the sale, stores have no real need to have them on hand. The vast majority of items in the retail market comes prepackaged at a commissary or packing location where oxygen absorbers are inserted before shipment to retail outlets. They buy them in bulk as they go through thousands a day. As for inclusion in bulk packages to stores, they are generally part of the container so are discarded with the container or the same as any protective covering.

Old 12-30-2019, 06:17 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Most grocery/retail stores get theirs prepacked with the goods. Since the fresh nonpackaged products seldom remain on the shelves long enough to need an oxygen absorbed before the sale, stores have no real need to have them on hand. The vast majority of items in the retail market comes prepackaged at a commissary or packing location where oxygen absorbers are inserted before shipment to retail outlets. They buy them in bulk as they go through thousands a day. As for inclusion in bulk packages to stores, they are generally part of the container so are discarded with the container or the same as any protective covering.
This. You are not going to find them for sale in a grocery store. A farm and feed store might have some, but I don't know for sure. I'd just buy them off the internet.

Old 12-31-2019, 11:21 AM

37,469 posts, read 61,415,702 times
My Dw cans a lot of food each year. She also dehydrates a lot, freezes a lot, and she has recently gotten into Freeze-Drying food.

Every September I like to buy a few tons of corn, oats and barley. I store them in stell drums with desiccant.

We have seen issues with mold, which desiccant fixes nicely.

O2 absorbers only work on oil and fats, if they are susceptible to O2.

I render lard every year, and I have lard that has been sealed in jars for 5 or 10 years. It does not go bad when it is kept sealed.

I do not have any O2 absorbers, I do not think I have any need for them. I am curious about what oils or fats are you storing? Such that you need O2 absorbers?

Old 12-31-2019, 06:59 PM

Thanks for weighing in.

I am looking for O2 absorbers for storing wheat/rice/grains.

I was told to place these items in air tight container with O2 absorbers to protect from weevils infestation .

I learned that O2 absorbers reduce Oxygen and fill with Nitrogen (due to chemical reaction) that keep away weevils.

Thanks for sharing.

Old 12-31-2019, 07:14 PM

O2 absorbers help preserve fats and oils.

I store grains every year. Grains are susceptible to mold, mold is stopped with desiccant.

Old 12-31-2019, 07:25 PM

Thanks for your sharing.

Will desiccant STOP weevils infestation of grains?

Where can I find desiccant ?

How much quantity of desiccant required for 5 gallon storage?

Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-02-2020, 01:14 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,906,711 times
Most O2 absorbers contain iron filings and clay. The clay is packed moist so that the iron filings can oxidize (rust) if there isn't enough moisture in the contents you are trying to protect to cause the iron to rust.

For that reason you don't want to mix O2 absorbers with desiccant. The desiccant will absorb the moisture, the iron won't rust, the O2 absorbers won't work.

Old 01-02-2020, 02:02 PM

My understanding is that to control weevils you need to freeze the grain, and then re-package it with bay leaves.

I have never dealt with a weevil infestation myself.

I have read many times that you can not combine O2 absorbers with desiccant.

Old 01-04-2020, 04:48 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times
Oxygen absorbers will not "replace" the oxygen, they will leave the package with a slight vacuum.

One of the rare times Happy in Wyoming posted something that I found useful was here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/self-...nto-beans.html

Post number 6 is about nitrogen bottles.

First make sure you don't have excessive moisture, though, or you may give rise to botulism.
(Those who don't remove oxygen don't have to worry about botulism.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness