Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2020, 10:03 AM

9,881 posts, read 4,650,430 times

Advertisements

I'd learn to do as much as you can physically and more importantly actually do physical things including simple repairs around the house and/or on equipment. Not only might save money but might learn a few tricks if you have to make do with limited resources or time. Learning and loading up on supplies etc is onething but being able to actually utilize them is another. There isn't an on switch in the brain that says apocalypse and courses and books will not all the sudden come to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2020, 10:05 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times
Everyone should have a basic knowledge of building, plumbing and automotive skills. Electronics and electricity are good to know also, along with radio knowledge. Apocolypse or not. Having basic life and handy skills are important.

Sadly few urban people have much knowledge of these things. For rural folks it's more a way of life.

Old 01-12-2020, 11:28 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
Match your skill set to the environment. No need to know how to work on a tractor if you live in NYC. By the same token, living in a rural environment (as I do), I do not need to know how to navigate the urban environment and what to watch out for.

Certainly there are many disciplines that cross over.

Effective communication is one of those skills... and knowing what that is.

Old 01-14-2020, 10:18 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times
That's me.
I do everything myself.
Over the years I worked in many trades and learned alot. Really helped because I was broke most of my life. Couldn't afford to hire a contractor to do the roof or plumber to fix heating system. Whatever I didn't know I figured out. And yeah of course there was a learing curve over the years lol.
I've totally renovated every house I've owned by myself, all of it, electric, plumbing, rock, trim, paint, cabinets, everything.

I definitely saved a ton of money and more importantly became self sufficient.
I do not have to depend on anyone.
Now that I'm older and have a few bucks to spare, sometimes I pick and choose my battles depending on what it is and what mood I'm in.

This year for example, I hired a a tree guy. I just wasn't feeling like climbing and pruning 80 foot trees. Just didn't feel like doing it myself this year. I got a good deal and the guy left me all the cuts for firewood. Even cut it up into manageable pieces and stacked it for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness