Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 10:24 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillinICT View Post
The economic situation could change within a few days, or not. Is it nearing time to pull cash reserves out of the bank accounts yet? I mean, in an instant funds could get frozen.

Are we approaching that point? Could we wake up on morning and its there?
Why would there be a run on the banks?

My savings account is federally insured. No worries. What would I do...have them send me a check, which I'd cash & stuff my mattress? Then lose it when the house is burned down or floods or gets burglarized? No thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2020, 10:26 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times
OP: Have you heard of the FDIC? Why would your accounts be frozen?

Old 03-18-2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
After all the banks locked their doors in 1931, they still required mortgage holders to make their mortgage payments. Anyone who did not have enough cash to cover their mortgage, was foreclosed on.

My paternal grandparents went through that, and my maternal grandparents went through it as well.

They lock you out from access to your savings, and then they foreclose on your farm.
That was before federal insurance on savings, which was started in the 1930s as a result of the Great Depression.

Old 03-18-2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im not sure what makes someone say something like this. nobody here is going to trigger or prevent a run on banks or toilet paper. we can only prepare for it. so the decision is, do you want to be someone with dollars and toilet paper or do you want to be someone complaining that you have no dollars or toilet paper?
Or do you want to be someone who had dollars, but lost them, or they were stolen or burned or flooded?
Or do you want to be someone who has a federally insured stash in your savings account?

Lots of choices.

I don't see why anyone is worried about his savings account. Unless everyone tries to take his money out of the bank. It's not there. It was used to go to Vern's mortgage, or Paul's new patio. Didn't you see It's A Wonderful Life?

Old 03-19-2020, 02:47 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
That was before federal insurance on savings, which was started in the 1930s as a result of the Great Depression.
The thin, flexible defense known as the FDIC has held so far,
but a few years back, we came withing hours of a global banking
failure that would have rendered FDIC moot.

It wasn't a bolt out of the blue, it had been brewing for weeks,
but as the elites dithered over what to do, and people began
going bankrupt by the hundreds, most of the average Joe's
didn't even know it went on. Many still don't know.

Old 03-19-2020, 05:15 AM

7,260 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Why would there be a run on the banks?

My savings account is federally insured. No worries.....

Are naïve people really happier?

If they can take away your rights to travel or yours guns etc etc, they can take away your money too. Remember, Obamacare was deemed constitutional on the basis of it being a tax...The day may soon come when all bank accounts will be "taxed" and transferred en masse into the Fed Treasury.

The Feds really want to stop issuing currency-- that'll make all transactions, made via "plastic," easy to trace. That's also why they insist on direct deposits for SS payments-- ready access to our bank accounts

BigBrother is already watching.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:24 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Are naïve people really happier?
Only until they get mugged.

Quote:
BigBrother is already watching.
This message has been added to your dossier

Old 03-19-2020, 07:13 AM

5,168 posts, read 3,088,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
I don't really care...My status is so bad with the bank, they called the other day. They want their calendar back.
Thanks for that laugh, it made my day! I imagine Rodney Dangerfield using that joke!

Old 03-19-2020, 08:22 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillinICT View Post
The economic situation could change within a few days, or not. Is it nearing time to pull cash reserves out of the bank accounts yet? I mean, in an instant funds could get frozen.

Are we approaching that point? Could we wake up on morning and its there?
You people crack me up.

Old 03-19-2020, 08:46 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
Three weeks ago, I pulled 2K cash out (in small bills). During Isobel, a hurricane that hit the mid-Atlantic, our home took an 80 foot oak tree thru the roof of the home. Had we not had the cash, we would not have been successful flagging down 2 guys and a chainsaw (they were tree workers by profession) the day after. We caught them just as they were heading out to make some money. We were without power for a week and that cash came in handy to get things right. Neighbors took turns heading into town to get groceries and supplies. We learned small bills were critical, a $20 or a tip here and there for the kids to walk dogs, help with debris, and not in $100 bills.

Get a small cash stash........just in case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness