Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 04:30 AM

822 posts, read 2,203,726 times

Advertisements

Hello, my fellow CD self-sufficient peoples.

I hope all of you are doing well.

I'm about to graduate from my program to be a high school teacher. I will be teaching physical science which could include geoscience, chemistry, or physics.

Although I will have to mainly focus on my state's objectives, I want to throw in some Life 101 preparedness skills here and there to my students. Although the students wouldn't be practicing the skills over and over, I would at least like to give them some exposure to some of the skills we frequently discuss in the prepper/survivalist forums.

I'm going to plan to teach them the following few things, but I wanted to ask what are some other skills I could teach them in a classroom/science lab setting that you all would recommend?

Thank you,

List so far:

How to grow vegetables and microgreens (indoor/outdoor garden basics) (Geoscience lab, the interaction of Earth systems)

How to jump a car along w/ a basic car emergency kit setup (Physics electricity lab)

How to desalinate saltwater using this basic kit (https://youtu.be/PT6cjp_zThw) (Chemistry Lab)

Basic hiking essentials/preparedness (Geoscience outdoor labs preparedness)

Emergency food/H20 supplies and storage (We can do a long term lab on "does water go bad?")
https://www.livescience.com/32636-wh...iration-dates-

Basic firearm identification & uses, pistol, shotgun, rifle, revolver, etc... This goes w/ physics projectile lessons. I wouldn't be able to go into a lot of depth, but at least they would know the basic difference between these and the types of projectiles they fire along with the basic uses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2020, 07:04 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,732,353 times
need a home EC class that includes food preservation..............I wouldn't waste time on desalination to many water filtration products / methods to go after seawater...

Old 06-29-2020, 12:20 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,586,145 times
Life sciences can also include botany. Identifying plants and their uses as food and medicine.
I'd also include fire making since there are so many methods including friction, chemical reaction, reflecting light or concentrating it through a lens including through water or ice, and using superheated air compression to ignite tinder.
Or the rapid oxidation of steel when shaved off a block known as a spark.

With fire, you have warmth, light, a way to distill and purify water, and a weapon.

That alone has chemistry, physics and geoscience especially in identifying stones to use with steel to make fire.

Old 06-29-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
need a home EC class that includes food preservation..............I wouldn't waste time on desalination to many water filtration products / methods to go after seawater...
I understand what you are saying, but the lab component of it would be the critical part of teaching them the process and meeting the state standards for science education. However; going w/ your comment I didn't think about teaching them about basic water filtration via items they may have on their person or teaching them about simple water filters that are available. I will now add this to my lessons. Thank you

Old 06-29-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Life sciences can also include botany. Identifying plants and their uses as food and medicine.
I'd also include fire making since there are so many methods including friction, chemical reaction, reflecting light or concentrating it through a lens including through water or ice, and using superheated air compression to ignite tinder.
Or the rapid oxidation of steel when shaved off a block known as a spark.

With fire, you have warmth, light, a way to distill and purify water, and a weapon.

That alone has chemistry, physics and geoscience especially in identifying stones to use with steel to make fire.
Excellent suggestions. Thank you, I will for sure put these on my list of ideas and see what I can come up with. I could actually use the bow drill to teach them about friction and thermal energy in physics.

Old 06-30-2020, 01:18 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,956,572 times
I doubt your district or the parents will let you teach firearm related topics in a science class.

And you'd probably have a short career if you did like MY high school chemistry teacher who was like, "Good morning kids - what should we blow up today?"

We learned all about dry ice bombs, and how to make thermite, how to blow stumps with gunpowder and electric blasting caps, and a bunch of chemical reactions that I forgot. That stuff was legal back 50 years ago. Teaching that today would get you 50 years in prison for explosive devices or something. How far our country has fallen.

I wish I knew more about edible plants in high school. I've always been more into it than most, and in recent years living in the desert I've been learning to use cactus and snakes and other desert flora.

Fire making for sure. There are so many ways. I can't start one with a bow or rubbing a stick to save my life. I know it's easy once you know the tricks, but never had anyone who knew too teach me - including my Marine survival instructor friend, he can't even do it. He's like, "dump a cup of gas from your jerry can and flick a bic!"

Water and filtration too - and this can have commercial application in future employment in waste water reclamation and water management careers. Everyone should know the basics of how to make sand and charcoal filters.

I think it's great that you are thinking of this.

Old 06-30-2020, 01:25 AM

440 posts, read 240,508 times
Each topic you mentioned sound more like graduate school full year topics. You talking about high school kids? If you gonna be a HS teacher you better get a grip.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:52 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,622,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
Hello, my fellow CD self-sufficient peoples.

I hope all of you are doing well.

I'm about to graduate from my program to be a high school teacher. I will be teaching physical science which could include geoscience, chemistry, or physics.

Although I will have to mainly focus on my state's objectives, I want to throw in some Life 101 preparedness skills here and there to my students. Although the students wouldn't be practicing the skills over and over, I would at least like to give them some exposure to some of the skills we frequently discuss in the prepper/survivalist forums.

I'm going to plan to teach them the following few things, but I wanted to ask what are some other skills I could teach them in a classroom/science lab setting that you all would recommend?

Thank you,

List so far:

How to grow vegetables and microgreens (indoor/outdoor garden basics) (Geoscience lab, the interaction of Earth systems)

How to jump a car along w/ a basic car emergency kit setup (Physics electricity lab)

How to desalinate saltwater using this basic kit (https://youtu.be/PT6cjp_zThw) (Chemistry Lab)

Basic hiking essentials/preparedness (Geoscience outdoor labs preparedness)

Emergency food/H20 supplies and storage (We can do a long term lab on "does water go bad?")
https://www.livescience.com/32636-wh...iration-dates-

Basic firearm identification & uses, pistol, shotgun, rifle, revolver, etc... This goes w/ physics projectile lessons. I wouldn't be able to go into a lot of depth, but at least they would know the basic difference between these and the types of projectiles they fire along with the basic uses.
My first instinct is to say be VERY CAREFUL, as you might be risking not only your job, but possibly your career.
The public school system has been infiltrated with liberals/leftists, most of which are anti-gun, and look at preppers as conservative kooks.
So IF you were to try and teach some of that stuff to kids (some of it seems harmless enough), never go on a prepper lecture or indicate any ideology/politics along with it.

As to firearms, I wouldn't touch that with a extended barrel shotgun.

Just my thoughts to help you protect your career before it even gets started. A prep if you will against the forces that would be aligned against you.

`

Old 07-01-2020, 02:31 AM

483 posts, read 354,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
My first instinct is to say be VERY CAREFUL, as you might be risking not only your job, but possibly your career.
The public school system has been infiltrated with liberals/leftists, most of which are anti-gun, and look at preppers as conservative kooks.
So IF you were to try and teach some of that stuff to kids (some of it seems harmless enough), never go on a prepper lecture or indicate any ideology/politics along with it.

As to firearms, I wouldn't touch that with a extended barrel shotgun.

Just my thoughts to help you protect your career before it even gets started. A prep if you will against the forces that would be aligned against you.

`
Or you could say the pro-gun lobby has been infiltrated with lunatics who view more guns and military grade weapons as the solution to every problem. If the 2nd amendment is under pressure it will be just as much due to how far away from most people's perception of acceptable weapon ownership and usage the NRA has gotten.

I would be a lot more concerned about alienating the students than the school district. Kids are generally much more anti-gun these days than they used to be. That's pretty understandable given the number of school shootings that have happened.

Old 07-01-2020, 04:55 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,586,145 times
Or it could be said that since the schools have moved from a moral and responsibility based curriculum to an agenda driven one that the students have been indoctrinated by a politically based objective to meet the goals of those that would take away those rights guaranteed by the Constitution.
School shootings are a byproduct of removing morality from the school curriculum.

On a practical note, ballistics could be used as an example of physics. The effect of gravity and air resistance on a moving object. How energy transferred to a bullet or baseball or any missile is drained over distance based on ballistic coefficient, energy and mass vs resistance of the atmosphere based on the density of the atmosphere by elevation, effects of wind, rain and temperature causing fluctuations in trajectory and retained energy at point of impact.

One of my favorite teachers in junior high was a physics teacher who also coached the school rifle team in indoor small bore competition.
Back when personal responsibility was also taught by teachers in conjunction with parents as a life skill and becoming a productive citizen and member of society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness