Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 02:39 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,130,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
The only gold worth having in SHTF is real actual gold in hand. The paper gold ownership certificate would be great as a fire starter. I have a few liver coins and a bit of gold. You can use jewelry, earrings rings etc. you don’t need gold bullion.
Bullion is nice because you know exactly how much it is. Ounce. Half ounce etc.

I guess you could weigh the jewelry etc.

Its just nice to have hundreds of silver 1 ounce coins
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2020, 04:42 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,708,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
I look back at the fall of Richmond in April 1865. The only thing that had value was food and liquor. If the dollar collapses, unless you have gold bullion, how are you going to access it if there is a societal collapse? And gold coins are not easy to carry around. Stick to beans, pork and whiskey.
Gold is hard to spend. In Medieval times, travelers would carry gold chains with small links, but even a 1 gram link would be worth over $70 at current prices. Plus, nobody really wants the stuff. You can't walk into a grocery store and try to pay with a couple grams of gold.

Gold was not a bad investment for those who bought when it was $1300/toz, maybe not so great at $2000/toz. The dollar has only lost 10% in the last 5 months.

As you say, the best bet is to stick with things that are useful, though I would look around for items that would get rare or expensive, like primers, lead, and powder. You can pay kids to go pick up brass, or people can bring their own, but a selection of sizing dies would be good. People can recycle brass, but they can't recycle primers. Maybe a hand tumbler for the brass if electricity gets chancy. Canning lids will probably get rare. Stick with consumables that are hard to make by hand.

Money will continue to change hands because of the convenience, but barter will become a much larger part of the economy. Lots of small, cheap items are more useful in a barter economy than a few expensive items.

Old 09-07-2020, 06:34 PM

15,510 posts, read 7,546,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Keep stacking. Silver has been suppressed by banks for too long. Im hoping one day their house of cards collapses
How have banks been suppressing silver?

Quote:
When you have 5000 5.56 and 4500 9mm its always a bonus to stack a couple hundred ounces of silver
5,000 rounds is about 1/20th of what you need, along with 25,000 rounds of .22lr, and 25,000 rounds of .45 ACP.

Quote:
This is the same attitude I have come across people who haven't lifted a finger to prepare any food water etc.

"I'll just go steal people's food during shtf"

1. Terrible plan. You'll get into a gun fight within a few hours. You think people are just going to give you their food without a fight?

There's 500 million guns behind doors. How will you know what house doesnt have any?

2. Immoral and crappy thing to do. Do you really want to be robbing people during this type of event. Do you have a soul?
IN a crisis situation, with starvation, souls are far less important.

There aren't 500 million firearms in the US, more like 200 million.

Ammunition will be far more useful than gold when it comes to bartering. So will tools, iron, etc. You can't make anything useful out of gold.

Old 09-07-2020, 07:33 PM

4,570 posts, read 5,683,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The best estimate is 393M privately held modern firearms in the USA, but that's a thread for another forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I do not own gold but I have been hearing it is good to have in case of the collapse of the dollar. I am confused why gold is a better investment. I would imagine that if one invests in gold, you don’t get gold in your hands you may get a statement. But if the economy collapses and we have a SHTF situation, what good is that paper statement? Am I wrong to think this way?
If you focus on preparing for the extremely unlikely worst-case scenario, you may find that you are accumulating assets which will not serve you well if instead we face the much higher probability scenario of a slow decline of the dollar without total societal collapse.

Old 09-07-2020, 08:36 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,594,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
After all, with lead, one can acquire gold...
Good luck. You might lose your life over it. In fact I guarantee it.

The best thing to stick with is tangible useful things. Food, fruit, meat, ammo, toothpaste tooth buyes, alcohol, disinfect, medical supplies, guns, fuel, light bulbs, generators, clothes shoes. If SHTF goes on long enough ALL those things will be worth more than gold.

As far as morality here is my take. We can sit here comfortably set in a house with running water, electricity sewer system fridge full of food. Push comes to shove I have absolutely no illusion that people will turn into rabid animals to take care of themselves and or their families.

Old 09-07-2020, 10:11 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,857,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
That's good advice, and after reading that, I just picked up 20 rounds. Will probably get another 20 or so next month, and perhaps moving forward keep trying to increase my holdings each month.
Why would anyone want to pay a 10% premium for a privately minted coin?

Old 09-07-2020, 11:44 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,708,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Handling costs. If it has $28 worth of silver in it, why would anybody want to sell it to you for $28? Somebody has to pay for manufacturing, shipping and handling. That somebody is you.

Old 09-08-2020, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
How have banks been suppressing silver?

5,000 rounds is about 1/20th of what you need, along with 25,000 rounds of .22lr, and 25,000 rounds of .45 ACP.

IN a crisis situation, with starvation, souls are far less important.

Ammunition will be far more useful than gold when it comes to bartering. So will tools, iron, etc. You can't make anything useful out of gold.
JPmorgans paper scam. Do some research.

You have 100k 5.56? I don't need 45 cal I stocked 9mm. I have about 8,000 22LR. I have more ammo than probably 99% of the population

You're wayyyy off no one really knows how many guns but it's estimated to between 400 and 600 million.

I don't own gold.

Go ahead and attempt to rob people that are also starving. You'll be killed

Old 09-08-2020, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
You don't have any bullion do you?

Old 09-08-2020, 12:20 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,390,911 times
View these assets in a light of the state of civilization. Paper gold will tend to be functional in money printing. Loss of confidence in the political system puts psychical gold on the table. If the state of affairs falls further then gold is not as good for minor transactions, hence silver. If its just survival then naturally there is no financial system at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness