Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 07:00 PM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I guess it depends on the storage location. If you have a secure, climate controlled pantry/larder that's safe from rodents then beans are probably fine in their original sacks. When I stored my bulk beans my storage was in a garage, so I kept everything in 3gal plastic buckets (5gal too heavy to lift).

I had a neighbor once who stored dry goods in galvanized metal trash cans out in the barn to protect them from mice.
I have found the solution to rodents is to have a pride of cats that you only feed on alternate weeks. Freefed cats lack a strong motivation to hunt.

Our primary hurdle for long-term storage of dry goods is humidity.

I want to buy 2 tons of barley, 2 tons oats, and 2 tons corn, every Autumn for our livestock. Left on its own it molds. I put grain in 55-gallon steel drums with a cup of desiccant. Once a week I replace the old desiccant with freshly re-charged desiccant, and after a month that usually will have removed most of the moisture, enough to prevent mold.

We do not have 'climate-controlled' anything. We heat with woodstoves, so our interior temps vary a lot in winter. In summer it depends more on the outdoor temps, with windows open and a few fans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2024, 10:10 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times
Just out of curiosity, how many barrels does it take to hold 2 tons of grain? Do you use silica desiccant?

We have the same problem (probably worse) here in the tropics, so far we haven't really found a viable solution.

Old 02-14-2024, 10:26 PM

2,050 posts, read 993,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have found the solution to rodents is to have a pride of cats that you only feed on alternate weeks. Freefed cats lack a strong motivation to hunt.
Interesting. I know this is way off topic, but is that your experience with cats? It sounds somewhat cruel to alternate weeks of 'free' food...I guess they figure it out?

I lived off grid for several years and went through a few cats. They were all given kibble 2x a day and all of them ate it. Two of my cats, despite regular kibble feedings, routinely caught mice and mutilated them, but another of the cats wanted nothing to do with mice. A mouse could run across the room and he would just look at it and do nothing. I think some cats are 'mousers' and some aren't.

Old 02-15-2024, 07:06 AM

7,324 posts, read 4,118,369 times
Quote:
A mouse could run across the room and he would just look at it and do nothing. I think some cats are 'mousers' and some aren't.
My husband's cat tortured whatever mouse got into his NYC apartment. It was only one white mouse every year or every other year. He would break its back and toss it back and forth between his paws. We had another cat in Austin, Tx which hunted palmetto bugs and scorpions. I would find a body in a corner of a room while its legs were scattered across the floor.

Yeah, it turns out cats learn to mouse from their mothers. If the mothers can't mouse or if the kitten is separated from they mothers too soon, they don't learn it.

Old 02-15-2024, 07:10 AM

8,920 posts, read 4,636,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Our primary hurdle for long-term storage of dry goods is humidity.

...[grains]... Left on its own it molds. I put grain in 55-gallon steel drums with a cup of desiccant. Once a week I replace the old desiccant with freshly re-charged desiccant, and after a month ...

We do not have 'climate-controlled' anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Just out of curiosity, how many barrels does it take to hold 2 tons of grain? Do you use silica desiccant?

We have the same problem (probably worse) here in the tropics, so far we haven't really found a viable solution.
We should probably have a thread on desiccant.
In fact, give me a couple minutes, and I will start one.

Old 02-15-2024, 07:24 AM

Quote:

Mathematical SWAG:

30lbs -33lbs fits in a five gallon bucket.

200lbs should fit in 32 gallon barrel (old English standard measure).

350lbs should fit in a 55 barrel (standard oil drum sized),
or 53 gallon standard Midwestern whisky barrel.

So, 7 to 10 barrels, depending on what kind of barrel.

Old 02-15-2024, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Interesting. I know this is way off topic, but is that your experience with cats? It sounds somewhat cruel to alternate weeks of 'free' food...I guess they figure it out?

I lived off grid for several years and went through a few cats. They were all given kibble 2x a day and all of them ate it. Two of my cats, despite regular kibble feedings, routinely caught mice and mutilated them, but another of the cats wanted nothing to do with mice. A mouse could run across the room and he would just look at it and do nothing. I think some cats are 'mousers' and some aren't.
You sound like a friend of mine, whose chickens grow old and are buried when they reach the end of their natural life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
My husband's cat tortured whatever mouse got into his NYC apartment. It was only one white mouse every year or every other year. He would break its back and toss it back and forth between his paws. We had another cat in Austin, Tx which hunted palmetto bugs and scorpions. I would find a body in a corner of a room while its legs were scattered across the floor.

Yeah, it turns out cats learn to mouse from their mothers. If the mothers can't mouse or if the kitten is separated from they mothers too soon, they don't learn it.
You are quite correct.
Cats are the very definition of cruel, but most "civilized" people don't seem to understand that.

I call them "God's cutest little killing machines."
Because that is what He created them for.

It is all a part of God's naturally intended, self regulating, cycle.
Number of rodents rises, number of cats rises.
Cats kill off most of the rodents,
excess cats starve to death.
Number of cats falls, rodent population begins to rise, again,
and the cycle repeats.

Until man interferes.

Or, as Submariner seems to have found, man regulates. In Genesis 1, God told us to take dominion and subdue nature. Submariner found a way to subdue the natural rise and fall of the population, so there would never be too many or too few cats, and therefore no need for starvation cycles.

Old 02-15-2024, 07:35 AM

I got the Desiccant Thread started.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/self...nt-thread.html

Old 02-15-2024, 08:17 AM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, how many barrels does it take to hold 2 tons of grain?
Corn is the heaviest, one drum per ton. The others will take up to three drums per ton.

Quote:
... Do you use silica desiccant?
Yes, I found some that turn pink when it is dry, and some that turn blue when it is saturated. I mix them.

So I know at a glance if it needs to be baked dry again.

Old 02-15-2024, 05:22 PM

2,708 posts, read 2,209,968 times
My wife checked for navy and baby limas at Walmart and they had none.

We can them being they are faster and easier to prep to eat than pressure cooking them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness