Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 11:57 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times

Advertisements

How are the Doom and Gloomers (D&Gs) being treated in the real world?

I'm a D&G and I can tell you that people look at me like I've lost my mind. I've been laughed at, ignored, and even told to stop talking.

The main difference between me and the non-D&Gs is that I read everything constantly and they only read a few mainstream media stories.

The non-D&Gs also generally believe that we are in a down-cycle of an automatically self-correcting business cycle. And they are still out spending money and living as usual.

I would like to hear from other D&Gs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 12:04 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,510,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
How are the Doom and Gloomers (D&Gs) being treated in the real world?

I'm a D&G and I can tell you that people look at me like I've lost my mind. I've been laughed at, ignored, and even told to stop talking.

The main difference between me and the non-D&Gs is that I read everything constantly and they only read a few mainstream media stories.

The non-D&Gs also generally believe that we are in a down-cycle of an automatically self-correcting business cycle. And they are still out spending money and living as usual.

I would like to hear from other D&Gs.

Honestly I could care less. People can believe what they want. But if they end up losing. I'll tell them to stop there B!!chin about it.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:07 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
WWW, I am not a D&G, but totally respect your art form.

I look at you all as Subject Matter Experts of the Worst Case Scenario.

If we create models and methods that can survive the D&G concerns, we will have created truly robust designs.

I now view D&G's as important as Safety Officers on a project site, or lifeboats and vests on a ship.

DOOM ON, Sir!

Old 10-13-2008, 12:10 PM

Thank you, Philip. We D&Gs are generally a well-read, thoughtful bunch, and we appreciate your support.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:11 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
How do you define "doom and gloom". I think everyone realized this is a serious economic period. Some people do think it's self correcting, others agree with the enormous infusion of government funds and government correction.

But the problem I have is with the doom and gloom crowd that think it's the end of the world as we know it - collapsed governments, chaos, riots in the street, the dead rising from the grave, that sort of stuff. Their have been posts like this - OK the web attracts the lunatic fringe. But you can't expect not too post stuff like that and not get mocked.

Some aren't that extreme. But you got a few that are really carried away and make it hard to take the rest seriously.

It's also disheartening that alot of the current wallstreet madness is pychological at this point. It's called "consumer confidence" and not based on any corporate profit figures, not at this point anyways, with so many stocks trading at below the P/E ratio. It's self defeating. You get enough doom and gloomers and they will cause their own failure.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:16 PM

76 posts, read 133,382 times
Those who continually bring up the "Crying Wolf " point ALWAYS fail to acknowledge that the one time the boy was right the Un-believers died.

If one is warned that the " Sky Is Falling " and then gets nailed as a result of not listening and gloing and checking out the info, I say they got what they asked for.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:17 PM

378 posts, read 1,063,698 times
My Parents are doom and gloomers. I had to move 500 miles away just to escape the constant draining mindset. And it is a TOTAL relief. I'm a medical professional and have seen people who really have a right to gloom and doom. As long as you can breathe, pee/poop, and get around on your own you bascially have got it good and have no reason to worry about crap that's out of your control anyway. Life is too short to gloom and doom. So people spend their money, you can always make more. Worse case scenario is having to live out in the woods and catch your own food and make your own shelter. Still not the end of the world.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:19 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
I like the more positive term for us - GIs, or Get it. The rest of the world are DGIs, Don't Get It.

I don't usually say much of anything about prepping to the DGIs, except recently when the world situation soured in an undeniable way.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:19 PM

Dd714,

I think it is possible that things could get very bad. There is that potential.

I believe we are headed into a first class depression. How bad will things get? Only time will tell.

However, it's more than that. The coming situation is going to weaken our country considerably. We have been running a trade deficit. And I don't know how much longer countries like China are going to want to stay on the dollar standard to pay for our wars and bailouts.

I think our days of being a world power are over.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:24 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runrgirl View Post
My Parents are doom and gloomers. I had to move 500 miles away just to escape the constant draining mindset. And it is a TOTAL relief. I'm a medical professional and have seen people who really have a right to gloom and doom. As long as you can breathe, pee/poop, and get around on your own you bascially have got it good and have no reason to worry about crap that's out of your control anyway. Life is too short to gloom and doom. So people spend their money, you can always make more. Worse case scenario is having to live out in the woods and catch your own food and make your own shelter. Still not the end of the world.
I'm not really gloomy or depressed about the possibility of doom. Civilizations have crashed before, but this one will recover faster than previously because we have so much more knowledge, and that won't be lost. (by the way, I'm not at all convinced that this particular economic downturn is going to be the end of the world as we know it.)

It's simply common sense to be prepared for longterm emergencies. My ancestors had to do that every year to get through the long winters, so the instinct is deep in me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness