Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 08:01 PM

860 posts, read 2,056,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
So, you gonna go 24 hours without washing your hands, using the toilet, etc.?

Some areas do ahve real water shortages...Atlanta, GA, for example, and areas out West are facing serious water issues.

Standing in line all day for a bottle of water and MRE doesn't sound good to me.

And help didn't arrive to some areas for weeks.

Ya might as well give it up, arctic. This is one of those idiots who will be pounding on your door demanding the supplies you sacraficed for and saved when the crisis hits. oooo, I'm so glad I live up here in the boonies.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:07 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
So, you gonna go 24 hours without washing your hands, using the toilet, etc.?
Hmm....yes? This is not a big deal. Simply put trash bags in the toilets (or dig a hole in the backyard) and wash your hands with the water in your toilet's water tank.

Quote:
Some areas do ahve real water shortages...Atlanta, GA, for example, and areas out West are facing serious water issues.
No, not in any real sense of the word. There is absolutely no shortage of drinking water, water to bath with or any other important function. There is just at times shortages that require people to conserve a bit. But Americans are so wasteful with water in the first place, so its the difference between being able to water your lawn or not. Oh no! Some people can't water their lawns? The world is going to end!

Quote:
Standing in line all day for a bottle of water and MRE doesn't sound good to me.
Yeah, natural disasters usually don't involve a lot of good.

But really, what exactly is the point of your comments? Being snowed in, having a water main break, having a natural disaster in your area, etc are not "meltdowns". People should plan for events that have a reasonable probability of occurring, salivating and dreaming of some meltdown of society is a different matter entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
I'm so glad I live up here in the boonies.
That makes two of us.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:34 PM

37,469 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Plentiful potable water is a serious issue even now in many parts of the US. The majority of the regions of the US are regions which are subject to drought. There are only a few regions where these shortages have not occurred.

1- seasonal droughts [Every summer and fall, every year, again and again the land dries up, the water table lowers and wells go dry, again and again. Maybe there is a pattern to it];

2- cyclic droughts [every few years it forgets to rain enough to replenish the water table for a couple years. Then the cycle goes to the other side and there will be a few years with plenty of rain];

3- water shortages due to a lack of zoning and city planning which has allowed more people than the water table can provide water for [Really poor planners who prefer to accept bribes rather than limit housing in their cities].

Right now the fact that nobody has been suffering noticeably has been because there is has been a major meltdown. If anything disturbs the functioning of the municipal utilities, then all of these very real drought conditions would be felt by everyone in those regions.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:14 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
These things are extremely plentiful in this country....the idea that US society is going to break down to this point is just silly. Of course, someone people for whatever reason get a excited thinking about the possibility. It is fairly sick really...
Good God.

I thought you were merely arrogant or half-cocked.

You cannot really be this dumb?

Educate yourself. Really.

Ready.gov: Get A Kit (http://www.ready.gov/america/getakit/ - broken link)

Old 01-19-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Educate yourself. Really.

Ready.gov: Get A Kit (http://www.ready.gov/america/getakit/ - broken link)
I love how you guys yap about the end of the world, but then when someone suggests that its silly you come back with this emergency prep stuff.

To say it once again, preparing for common emergencies and preparing for "the meltdown" is two rather different things.

Please stop conflating these two issues. I have far more than what is listed on ready.gov in terms of emergency supplies. After all, I'm living in a major earthquake area. Yet, I think planning for "the meltdown" is just silly.

But what should you expect from people that salivate over the destruction of society...

Old 01-19-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Plentiful potable water is a serious issue even now in many parts of the US. The majority of the regions of the US are regions which are subject to drought. There are only a few regions where these shortages have not occurred.
When people start draining their millions of pools in Southern California I will start to take talk about water shortages seriously.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:36 AM

29 posts, read 46,485 times
The "meltdown" might not happend today, tomorrow or even in the next 10 years, but if you look back over history (history is strongly NOT my strong point btw) even the most advanced civilizations eventually toppled- for myriad reasons.

I don't think anyone would argue that the great majority of Americans have no idea where their food comes from when they blithely zoom through their local Walmart, Publix, Trader Joe's etc... load up a buggy full of generally perishable goods then drive home to put them in an electric freezer.

What will they do when any one of the steps above have been erradicated? What if there was electro magnetic pulses or solar flares strong enough to disable most modern electric conveniences? What if one of the major volcanoes erupted and threw the world into extended winter? What if some pissy little nation decides to start chunking nuclear weapons around?

Call it "omg the sky is falling" panic if you want, but the whole key in being "prepared for the unknown" is that it is just that U N K N O W N when or where it will strike. Knowledge needed to survive cannot be gained from a quick, cursory read of a survivor manual when you're already scared/shocked/hurting or whatever, but should be reaped now when the need is optional not mandatory.

When I took emergency medical classes, I had no immediate need of them. BUT, when people in my small town had heart attacks, went into early labor when home alone, or was having anaphylactic shock from fire ant stings .... THEN I needed my volunteer EMR training... scenario practices... and the epi pen that had ridden around unneeded in my EMR bag.
Hmmmm, good thing I didn't waste my time on something which I had absolutely no immediate need.
Survival training is as much a state of mind and determination as much as it specific knowledge. Prepare. Adapt. Improvise. Overcome. Survive. Thrive.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurvivorGirlAL View Post
The "meltdown" might not happend today, tomorrow or even in the next 10 years, but if you look back over history (history is strongly NOT my strong point btw) even the most advanced civilizations eventually toppled- for myriad reasons.
What looks like a rapid "collapse" or "meltdown" in history is usually a long draw out transformation of a culture/society. For example, when the western roman empire finally collapsed it was not like everyone was starving the next day. The event was many years in the making and society slowly transformed after the fact.

In complex societies people depend on each other, and there is really now way around that. A society of "survivorists" would represent an extreme reduction in standard of living with conditions not seen for thousands of years.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:54 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurvivorGirlAL View Post
Ellie,
All it would take to throw mod civilization into chaos would be the crippling of our communication system. The rest would topple like dominos shortly thereafter as it all depends on the communication to be put into effect.

Hope we never see it, but our hair may indeed flame one of these days
Yep, it is as easy as an EMP. Most folks think of Hiroshima whn they think about Iran or N. Korea launching a nuke against us but an EMP could cause a real mess.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:23 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
People should plan for events that have a reasonable probability of occurring, salivating and dreaming of some meltdown of society is a different matter entirely
I tend to agree. I "prepare" for natural disasters: flood, tornado, fire, earthquake, mudslide, hurricane, drought, icestorm, blizzard. I've moved around enough now that I have experienced each.

The one sort of "meltdown" that I think could possibly occur would be the dreaded Peak Oil, but even then I am somewhat optimistic. Human beings are fundamentaly, I believe, a pack animal. We are also amazingly resourceful and clever. I've recommended this book in the past:
Amazon.com: The Transition Handbook: From Oil Dependency to Local Resilience (Transition Guides) (9781900322188): Rob Hopkins, Richard Heinberg: Books

In the case of an all-out Apocalypse, end of the world scenario (what was the Will Smith movie? I Am Legend) then I just want a case of Champagne, some heroin, a gun and a couple of bullets. Last human on the planet? Seriously? Who would want to live that way???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness