Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 07:08 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,456,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
Mormons have been preparing for emergencies and the fulfillment of last days prophecies for decades. And they've learned a lot!

Here's a link to a large website (free - browse anonymously) filled with information about the many varied aspects of family preparedness including food storage, fitness, gardening, pandemic, etc:

Provident Living Home
Thank you very much for the link. I think it is very wise and practical to prepare for any emergencies that we can. Too bad everyone doesn't see this. It is not going overboard to think about and take care of you and your family.

I especially like the part about saving. Many Americans could have used that piece of advice. People ignored the "save for a rainy day" motto and look what happened, right?

Old 10-31-2009, 11:15 AM

595 posts, read 1,260,796 times
Default Grown up Girl Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
Uhh yeah,
the've been planning for decades and it has not happened.
So for tens of years, hundreds of thousands of days, they have been wrong.
No offense meant, but I beg to differ. I'd rather be prepared and rotate my stuff than be unprepared when it's needed.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:14 PM

595 posts, read 1,260,796 times
Default My landlady says she's going to get my stuff if/when

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
We have thought about getting a generator but only problem one has to worry about is they are loud and God forbid things get realllly bad, will it make someone more of a target for someone to steal it; will be bad enough trying to protect food/water supply.
anything drastic happens. Her house is clean and bare. If they aren't using it, it's in the trash. They only buy enough food til next payday. When the weather warms up, coats are gone. Same with swimsuits and shorts when fall comes. Everything they buy is cheap, because nothing lasts more than a few months. They do have the latest electronics, not sure of the quality. Not judging them for that, just stating how they live. I truly worry if this stuff is ever needed that she won't strong arm me if my husband is not around...

Old 10-31-2009, 03:44 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,466,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkElephant View Post
anything drastic happens. Her house is clean and bare. If they aren't using it, it's in the trash. They only buy enough food til next payday. When the weather warms up, coats are gone. Same with swimsuits and shorts when fall comes. Everything they buy is cheap, because nothing lasts more than a few months. They do have the latest electronics, not sure of the quality. Not judging them for that, just stating how they live. I truly worry if this stuff is ever needed that she won't strong arm me if my husband is not around...
your landlady sounds like a loon. how does she propose to "get your stuff?" don't let her walk all over you; if it comes down to it, move somewhere else. if it comes down to a physical confrontation that she starts, a baseball bat to the teeth, or even just the threat of such an act, will do wonders to clear up someone's thinking.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:32 PM

26,110 posts, read 19,053,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
a baseball bat to the teeth ... will do wonders to clear up someone's thinking.
Did you read that Stephen King novel too?

Old 10-31-2009, 11:33 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,466,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Did you read that Stephen King novel too?
i've actually been meaning to read a stephen king novel or two. never had, but like some of his movies, so i might as well.

back to the topic though, i'm not expecting to see massive emergency situations out here in the mountains of utah. i doubt that i will ever *need* to hunt in order to feed my family, or *need* to find spring water in order to provide water for a drought-thirsty family, but it is nice to know that i have that option should i need it. along those same lines, it is nice to know that the same food supply and spending habits that have already gotten my family through hard times in this economy will be there to help us out again should we need them.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:00 PM

37,550 posts, read 61,623,322 times
I know a few LDS, and I do respect their notion of stocking.

Considering the LDS history it makes sense, they have seen a lot of cultural prosecution.

We have also checked out a local warehouse that focuses largely on LDS supplies. Though so far we have cheaper sources available to us.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:09 PM

720 posts, read 708,210 times
Three of us have studied this theory for years and what we have found is disturbing.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:12 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,840,259 times
We live reasonably close to Amish. I have a feeling they will be teaching many of us the skills our grandparents knew and how to live simply is the world ever does change.

It does not matter who is what religion. Preparedness and lack of reliance on ultra-technology is never a bad thing. You just have to know what you have and how to use it to the best advantage.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:32 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,079,215 times
Not the point

We were talking about what the Mormons believe will happen.

As for criticism of their religion. Nope.
Mormon's are one of the few religions that haven't gone off killing other people in the name of their God.

I like Mormons, they understand the "Thou shalt not kill" thing.

Last edited by Tenzo; 11-02-2009 at 08:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness