Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 08:40 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,379,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistoftime View Post
Three of us have studied this theory for years and what we have found is disturbing.
I don't know what "theory" you are referring to but ok, you've piqued my curiousity, if it's on topic tell me more, thanks.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:15 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,461,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
Not the point

We were talking about what the Mormons believe will happen.

As for criticism of their religion. Nope.
Mormon's are one of the few religions that haven't gone off killing other people in the name of their God.

I like Mormons, they understand the "Thou shalt not kill" thing.
as a group, sure. as individuals, there are as many bad mormons as there are any other group.

but back to the point, i am mormon, and i am telling you that the church's encouragement to be self reliant and prepared for emergencies has very little to do with end-time rapture situations, and a lot more to do with the basic level of chaos and societal breakdown that routinely happens throughout history.

when we talk about food storage in our church meetings, i have yet to hear anyone say something along the lines of "being ready for the second coming," and a lot more along the lines of what we have all been debunking your earlier post with: job loss, medical emergency, natural disaster, social disaster, etc.

either way, whether armageddon comes tomorrow or not, if i am saving against a rainy day, it won't matter whether it is just another rainy day, or the last rainy day––i'll still be preparing for it.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:08 PM

36,668 posts, read 67,634,704 times
I have a small room in my garage that is basically where I keep all the food storage and emergency supplies.

Some of that stuff will last years. Others I donate to charity when it nears the end of its shelf life.

Oh, and Im Mormon btw.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:14 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,828,219 times
Anyone with the common sense to be prepared for an emergency deserves credt. I don't care if they are Mormon or athiest or anything else.

While I am not Mormon, I do value the common sense of being prepared. I simply mentioned the Amish near us as they have not embraced the technology some of us cannot live with..... and will likely be knowledgable as to living without technology with hardly any adapting. I consider that common sense preparedness as well.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:25 PM

32 posts, read 56,554 times
Noah prepared and built that ark for a long, long time...many people laughed at him too...

Old 11-04-2009, 12:01 AM

651 posts, read 1,418,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
Yep, that's just what I thought when I saw that this is a new forum! Let's share what we have learned about our food storage. I have several foil pouches of dehydrated beans stored under my bed, in my pantry, etc. I also have several cans of potato pearls (yummy). But I have to stock up on water. I read somewhere where you can get a barrel to store water in. 55 Gallon Water Barrel Package (http://www.alwaysbeprepared.com/site/558697/product/WA133 - broken link) Found the site
Also we are saving up to be a generator. We also have quite a bit of canned food and our 72 hour emergency backpacks.
You can get less expensive barrels from other places. The best deal on new 55 gallon food grade barrels (with the accessories) that I've found is at :

55 Gallon Water Barrel Combo.

This site has flat rate shipping. You might find barrels that appear less expensive at other sites but the shipping will usually be high. I'm not sure if this coupon still works or not but about two months ago I put in the code 'outdoors' and it saved some money.

You can also get used barrels here:

www.reusablebarrels.com

I've ordered from them and found that they are a good company; you just have to be willing to put in a little elbow grease to clean up the barrels.

Another option to consider is a water bob. They are inexpensive at around $25. If you know in advance that your water may go out, you can place one of these in your bathtub and get around 100 gallons of water stored.

www.waterbob.com

Old 11-04-2009, 12:45 PM

61 posts, read 100,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
Uhh yeah,
the've been planning for decades and it has not happened.
So for tens of years, hundreds of thousands of days, they have been wrong.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:20 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,338,028 times
I am not Mormon, not even Christian, but as I have the space now I have gradually been building a stockpile of non-perishable foods and water. I am not paranoid and I do not think the "end" is coming, but it is always a good idea to be prepared for natural disasters. In Texas when the weather knocks out power or water, it can sometimes take weeks to have service restored. That would be unusual in an urban area like where I live, but why chance it? I also have a few hundred dollars in cash in small bills in a very safe place. If the power goes out even for a day or so, you can kiss credit card transactions goodbye!

I also have a small stockpile of ammunition for my shotgun and handgun. It does you no good to build a stockpile of food and water if someone comes and takes it from you at gunpoint.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:33 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,848,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
...Thanks to my grandma and my LDS friends and neighbors, I know how to can and preserve food...
Me and my friends learned a learn a lot from the LDS back in the 60's.

Oh, wait a minute, that was LSD.

I learned how to can and preserve food from reading the brochure in the box of canning jars.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:41 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,991,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
But I have to stock up on water. I read somewhere where you can get a barrel to store water in. 55 Gallon Water Barrel Package (http://www.alwaysbeprepared.com/site/558697/product/WA133 - broken link) Found the site
You can buy the barrels for a lot less off Craigslist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness