Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 09:07 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,344,038 times

Advertisements

We will all survive 2012 just like we survived Y2K. R-E-{LAX] Like California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 08:36 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,863,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
Ahhh, a sane person when it comes to 2012. refreshing.

Y2K Loved it! Made a lot of money setting up generators and transfer switches for people. Even after I told them that it was foolish to put in a system because a simple date change, but smart for weather related incidences; tons of people just knew power was going out at Midnight.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:40 AM

484 posts, read 1,217,185 times
Interestingly, I just read an article about how the Mayans don't even believe the hype. It seems that he ancient Mayans' emphasis on 2012 was misinterpreted. They never believed that it would signal the end of the world.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:59 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,863,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmaingr View Post
Interestingly, I just read an article about how the Mayans don't even believe the hype. It seems that he ancient Mayans' emphasis on 2012 was misinterpreted. They never believed that it would signal the end of the world.
My thoughts as well. It would be like a somebody making a calender and filling it out for the next 500 years, at some point they are going to think "Forget this, let them figure it out for themselves!" Then the civilization crashes and there isn't the ancestors to fill in past the mark where G-G-G-G-G-G-G- Grandpa left off.

OK so there is a LOT of personal and modern day thinking in that scenario, but you get my drift.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:51 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
There's more likely dangers than 2012, as I see it, to be prepared in case of.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:46 AM

7,788 posts, read 8,032,105 times
cant remember where but i read that in 2012 thier calander justs started over. kinda like our january 1st.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:56 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,465,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmaingr View Post
The Mayans didn't write it---Space travelrs did. the Mayans just run arond on what the space dudes left here. they know nothin of any of it.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:12 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post

you know, nothing might happen, but storing food and other supplies is like having an insurance policy, you might or might not need it, but it is good to have in case of something does happen.

people like you and many others are the type that says nothing will happen, and when something does happen, you either scream for the goverment to come save you, or you go to the people you tried to talk out of storing food.

in other words, your type is a taker and not a producer in a emergency.

look at all the sheep and all the welfare takers in the USA when an emergency happens, they are not even willing to put something back in case of something happening, they would rather ask the federal goverment to come and save you.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:24 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
you know, nothing might happen, but storing food and other supplies is like having an insurance policy, you might or might not need it, but it is good to have in case of something does happen.

people like you and many others are the type that says nothing will happen, and when something does happen, you either scream for the goverment to come save you, or you go to the people you tried to talk out of storing food.

in other words, your type is a taker and not a producer in a emergency.

look at all the sheep and all the welfare takers in the USA when an emergency happens, they are not even willing to put something back in case of something happening, they would rather ask the federal goverment to come and save you.
Yes lets stock up food for the end of the world; even though we're going to die..........

Old 11-02-2009, 12:24 PM

533 posts, read 1,462,375 times
The OP is addressing the "doomsday" predictions, not general preparedness. Let's try to understand the point without nitpicking the details, eh? Of course it's good to have supplies on hand for emergencies, be they natural, economic or cosmic (though in the latter case I'm pretty sure we'd all be toast anyway). But to lend credence to the 2012 hysteria doesn't make sense. If the world's going to end then there's nothing that can be done, right? It's preordained by some ancient shaman(s)? I'm sure Nostradamus says something about it too, right? Well, anyway. It's somewhat weak to give in to the fear. Just be practical about things, get yourself ready for emergencies of more plausible sorts and if the supremely implausible occurs, then I guess you'll be a step ahead of the vast majority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness