Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 07:36 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,530,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I am checking out the Britelyt, never heard of it before. Thanks for that Forest, you are as usual way ahead of the curve on "redneck tech"!

I have a bunch of antique Dietz and etc. regular kerosene lanters, and a couple of Aladdins - the Aladdin is an un-pressurized mantle type kerosene lamp, decent light output but it's kind of "fiddly" - you have to trim the wick square, and to get near-max light output you have to fiddle with it or it will build up soot on the mantle at least in places.
Aladdins are nice, and a bit finicky. It takes practice to be able to light one and have no problems getting it up to burning at full brightness with no adjusting for hours.

I've found the earlier ones (model 11's and before) are less finicky (model 12's and B's are also good but I find the lox on mantle design caused more problems than it solved and made them more finicky to light), but a bit slower to start, and of course, parts are more expensive (those kone kap mantles are really expensive, a dozen of them cost more than many of my actual lamps...). The earliest ones do have some drawbacks though, mainly weaker wick raising mechanisms more prone to stripping out (never turn the knob if the wick is gummed in). But at the same time the finer gearing lets the light be fine tuned for maximum output easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 09:02 AM

37,502 posts, read 61,508,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
If you use one of these pressurized multi-fuel lanterns indoors, during a power outage for instance, how much ventilation is required to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning?
I have a CO detector, it has never gone off.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:06 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,469,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
The BriteLyt Petromax Multi-Fuel Lantern is the top of the line lantern.

We have one and we love it.

Petromax Lanterns- Britelyt Lanterns- Britelyt Multifuel Products
thanks those do look good and solid. during our last outage, during and after Ike, heat was a problem. And people didn't stock enough Fuel. It was in the summer. So I have also collected me some of those solar sidewalk lights, as I find them on sale. (very cheap I might add) One in every room, gives good moving around light, but not enough to read by.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:00 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,531,364 times
I have several Deitz #90 D-Lite Cold Blast Lanterns. Very happy with them, the design has been around for about 80 years so they must be doing something right.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:44 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,213,942 times
I am glad to hear the newer kerosene lanterns are very good.

We didn't have electricity til I was 13 years old, and those old kerosene lamps ( house) and lanterns ( barn) sure didn't produce much light.

I remember the first day coming home from school and the power company had turned on the electricity to our newly wired farm buildings and house.

When evening came, I was totally amazed !

Unlike every other kid in my school who was born with elctricity in their house, I am very thankfull for something that all my classmates took for granted.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:00 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,469,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I am glad to hear the newer kerosene lanterns are very good.

We didn't have electricity til I was 13 years old, and those old kerosene lamps ( house) and lanterns ( barn) sure didn't produce much light.

I remember the first day coming home from school and the power company had turned on the electricity to our newly wired farm buildings and house.

When evening came, I was totally amazed !

Unlike every other kid in my school who was born with elctricity in their house, I am very thankfull for something that all my classmates took for granted.
Man I sure hear ya. Our first "Home Lights" where when we moved to Houston. also my first running water in the house, with a tub. . I couldn't get enough of it. I thought I was in Heaven. When we do loose power, it all comes back to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness