Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 10:51 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,309,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
Man sorry to hear that. Hang in ther.---I thought of opening a Hunting camp for folks in chairs. Drive em out to their stands in the morning, and put them up with a fork lift. I know guys miss gettin out there in it.

In NM if you are disabled you can hunt from the comfort of your truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 11:02 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Just a word from a non expert on shotguns. If they are for home defense, I pump has the ability to discourage an intruder, just by the sound of it being racked. there is no mistaking that sound, and it will make a grown man think twice, and then split. save you from actually having do do anyone harm. I have seen peoples minds change more than once with that method.

Another point: A person can only shoot as semi-auto shotgun as fast as it will cycle. However, one can shoot a pump shotgun as fast as he/she can cycle it. A person highly proficient with a pump shotgun can cycle it faster than a semi-auto can cycle itself.

My advice, stay away from the "Express" line of the Remington 870. The Wingmaster is better built and someone with a careful eye can find them used, at gunshows for a decent price. Stocks can always be cut down to the proper Length of Pull.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:21 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Just a word from a non expert on shotguns. If they are for home defense, I pump has the ability to discourage an intruder, just by the sound of it being racked. there is no mistaking that sound, and it will make a grown man think twice, and then split. save you from actually having do do anyone harm. I have seen peoples minds change more than once with that method.
The Mossberg 930 has a sound that is similar when you chamber a shell. Here is a video giving you an idea of the sound. Typically I store my gun with the bolt closed and the tube loaded. All you have to do to chamber a shell is bring it back and let go. Basically the same sound if that is what you are after...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db0jefBr5eA

Last edited by wheelsup; 12-03-2009 at 08:59 AM..

Old 12-03-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Another point: A person can only shoot as semi-auto shotgun as fast as it will cycle. However, one can shoot a pump shotgun as fast as he/she can cycle it. A person highly proficient with a pump shotgun can cycle it faster than a semi-auto can cycle itself.

My advice, stay away from the "Express" line of the Remington 870. The Wingmaster is better built and someone with a careful eye can find them used, at gunshows for a decent price. Stocks can always be cut down to the proper Length of Pull.
I'm not saying it's not possible but I disagree. A Mossberg 930 will shoot 7 rounds in under 1.5 seconds. That's two tenths of a second per round. I highly doubt most people firing a pump can come close to that and stay on target.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-_tcNaWpdc

Not to mention, IIRC the world record shooting hand tossed clays with a pump is 6 clays, with an autoloader it's 10. Autos are significantly faster and you have less to worry about, and they are easier to shoot as they have less recoil.

I'm not saying a pump can't be fast, but to say someone can cycle a pump faster than an autoloader, well, that seems a bit of a stretch.

If not properly cleaned any gun will have FTF and FTE, these Mossy 930's go thousands of rounds without any hiccups, even using light loads. Shooting 00 Buck you won't have any issues with it cycling. No o-rings like the 11-87, their auto system is very similar to the Beretta, which is a gun that costs 2x-3x as much.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:57 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
The Mossberg 930 has a sound that is similar when you chamber a shell. Here is a video giving you an idea of the sound. Typically I store my gun with the bolt closed and the tube loaded. All you have to do to chamber a shell is bring it back and let go. Basically the same sound if that is what you are after...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db0jefBr5eA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I'm not saying it's not possible but I disagree. A Mossberg 930 will shoot 7 rounds in under 1.5 seconds. That's two tenths of a second per round. I highly doubt most people firing a pump can come close to that and stay on target.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-_tcNaWpdc

Not to mention, IIRC the world record shooting hand tossed clays with a pump is 6 clays, with an autoloader it's 10. Autos are significantly faster and you have less to worry about, and they are easier to shoot as they have less recoil.

I'm not saying a pump can't be fast, but to say someone can cycle a pump faster than an autoloader, well, that seems a bit of a stretch.

If not properly cleaned any gun will have FTF and FTE, these Mossy 930's go thousands of rounds without any hiccups, even using light loads. Shooting 00 Buck you won't have any issues with it cycling. No o-rings like the 11-87, their auto system is very similar to the Beretta, which is a gun that costs 2x-3x as much.
These videos are interesting but I still prefer a pump that you can dunk and still shoot. Autos tend to hang when dunked in water/mud or dirt.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:30 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
These videos are interesting but I still prefer a pump that you can dunk and still shoot. Autos tend to hang when dunked in water/mud or dirt.

Tell that to Glock, who has video's of their pistols shooting underwater and shooting after being in sand and mud, or to Rock River Arms whose AR-15's have a torture test that has their AR-15's shooting after being immersed in mud.

Last edited by monkeywrenching; 12-03-2009 at 10:56 AM..

Old 12-03-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
A pump shotgun would probably cycle better if drop your guns in the mud, although I really don't know. That being said I've never dropped my 930 in the mud so I don't how it fares. Fortunately for me, I live in a mud-less house so I don't have to worry about it, and when taken outside I hold on to it so it doesn't get dropped in the mud.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:50 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,463,432 times
I try to keep my powder dry

Old 12-03-2009, 12:32 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,335,319 times
Quote:
I disagree.

If you pull a weapon, you should commence shooting and moving to cover so that you can reload and continue shooting until there is no threat.

Just my $.02.

Shotguns are a great tool, IMHO, and I do prefer a pump.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:38 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,463,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
I disagree.

If you pull a weapon, you should commence shooting and moving to cover so that you can reload and continue shooting until there is no threat.

Just my $.02.

Shotguns are a great tool, IMHO, and I do prefer a pump.
there have been times were weapons were drawn to end a potentially bad situation, and nobody got shot. Every encounter is not a battle to the death. Use only enough force to defuse the situation. ---You will know when you need to do more. trust your instincts, but don't get excited, and over react.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness