Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 02:25 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,693,075 times

Advertisements

I was just thinking about this last night after watching a post apoc type movie.

It seems in every movie where mass chaos breaks out, people load up their trucks and head to the grocery store to loot water, canned goods, fuel etc.

My question is, wouldnt the smart thing to do be to load up a truck and head to the local gun store? I would think in most situations after the looting is over with, the strong steal from the weak and unprotected.

So, load up a cache of weapons, find the people that looted the grocery store and rob them. Makes more sense to me. It may seem harsh but if its your or me, well its going to be me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 05:45 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,740,721 times
Heading to the grocery store to do some lootin' is just gonna run ya up against a whole lot of others with the same idea, many of them will be armed, and not in a mood to share with those that arent. Better have your guns, and be prepared to use 'em if your gonna wait til TSHTF to go do your shopping.

As far as heading to the gun shop, you better make damn certain you're the first one there, and in the door. Or the result will be pretty much the same as going to the grocery store.

There's an old saying..."Hope for the best, prepare for the worst". If you're gonna wait til SHTF to "prepare", you havent prepared, and you will likely be one of the first to go "extinct".

The smart thing to do, is prepare NOW. Avoid the crowds later.

YC.......

Old 04-20-2010, 08:10 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,588,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
I was just thinking about this last night after watching a post apoc type movie.

It seems in every movie where mass chaos breaks out, people load up their trucks and head to the grocery store to loot water, canned goods, fuel etc.

My question is, wouldnt the smart thing to do be to load up a truck and head to the local gun store? I would think in most situations after the looting is over with, the strong steal from the weak and unprotected.

So, load up a cache of weapons, find the people that looted the grocery store and rob them. Makes more sense to me. It may seem harsh but if its your or me, well its going to be me.
This isn't really a criticism but.... first the store owner is there and is probably shooting at the looters, second, a lot of people already have guns, so if you tried to steal from them they would probably shoot back, third, the gun store owner will probably be waiting for you when you try to loot it, and he will be shooting most of his inventory at you, fourth, if you don't know how to use a gun well enough to be efficient with it its basically a big stick that you can shake at someone, lastly I agree with the last person, if you think the S is gonna HTF then you need to prepare now. All I know is I am getting out of dodge cause this is a big city with a lot of wackos.

in a SHTF situation with martial law, looting is a capital offense.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:36 AM

25,915 posts, read 18,928,859 times
Wouldn't it be easier just to be prepared with your own supplies?

Old 04-21-2010, 04:13 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,702,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
in a SHTF situation with martial law, looting is a capital offense.
NORTHCOM is poised to implement martial law should our society collapse so take care if you want to use a gun to steal from others. Try it and your dead.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:24 PM

7 posts, read 27,589 times
Question Northcom

Who or what is Northcom?

Old 04-21-2010, 09:29 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,713,101 times
Well I don't believe we will have another Great Depression but rather a Great Deprivation. Just try cooking a pork chop and let the smell get out of the house when a few thousand hungry and armed souls are wandering the streets. What people did to survive the Great Depression will never happen with a techospoiled generation today. My 2¢

Old 04-21-2010, 10:42 PM

7 posts, read 27,589 times
Nomadicus-

I think you are right.

My grandfather's mechanical harvesting business failed due to the dust bowl and financial collapse. My grandfather brought his family west. They hand picked crops, dug ditches, worked in underground mines, babysat, cleaned houses, washed dishes, etc. Any and every kind of honest work was done in order to eat.

These days you see businesses (that pay low wages) looking for employees and nobody wants the job. We have to get most of our farm labor from Mexico. People have such a sense of entitlement. They think many jobs are beneath them.

I think those who are a little more humble will fair better in an emergency situation because they will be willing to work for food or barter, even if the job is cleaning up cow manure.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:11 AM

548 posts, read 2,099,276 times
After seeing the news films about the "looting" after Katrina and Haiti I would say chaos is not as chaotic as it sometimes seems.

First of all, I don't consider it criminal looting if a natural disaster on that scale occurs and people take what they must from the shops and groceries to try to survive and sustain themselves and their loved ones. Human life supercedes property rights.

Second, it usually appears the taking of supplies is somewhat controlled and orderly. There is a non-violent distribution of the looted supplies. Those who get too greedy or violent about it are dealt with harshly. Humanity supercedes inhumanity.

There are always great acts of courage and self sacrifice. The shear horror of the situation can bring out kindness and nobility in people, a great many people transcend selfish needs to put others above their own survival, most don't revert to the state of being brutal, dog-eat-dog barbarians.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:03 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,743,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
Heading to the grocery store to do some lootin' is just gonna run ya up against a whole lot of others with the same idea, many of them will be armed, and not in a mood to share with those that arent. Better have your guns, and be prepared to use 'em if your gonna wait til TSHTF to go do your shopping.

As far as heading to the gun shop, you better make damn certain you're the first one there, and in the door. Or the result will be pretty much the same as going to the grocery store.

There's an old saying..."Hope for the best, prepare for the worst". If you're gonna wait til SHTF to "prepare", you havent prepared, and you will likely be one of the first to go "extinct".

The smart thing to do, is prepare NOW. Avoid the crowds later.

YC.......
later is not better! Get your schiess together now! Plan on sending fire teams to the secure the local grocery for the entire GROUP. In the meanwhile your other teams will be securing access to your town, neighborhood, block, building, Get control of water, power, fuel supplys .......No more tips! opsec you know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness