Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 04:48 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,278,844 times

Advertisements

Buy a piece of pvc with the proper length and diameter to fit the implement. Seal one end, drop in your tool and fill with gear oil. Cap and seal the other end, bury. this is the best way to store it long term underground. As far as the brass cased hardware. it can be kept pretty much anywhere. If you don't want it around the house, maybe a small storage, or, shrink wrap the can and bury it alongside the implement. I recently purchased a case of brass hardware that sat in a warehouse in some former Eastern Block country since the 70s, only 1 misfire so far out of an estimated 100 used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 09:36 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,726,480 times
DO NOT use PVC pipe for this type of burial. PVC's chemical recipe contains things that are unstable by their nature and will break down over time, releasing ACIDS into the things you are trying to preserve......

Google "PVC pipe as time capsule" for more info..............

Yachtcare has spoken.......

Old 01-10-2010, 01:41 AM

3 posts, read 2,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I once had a business operation that I had to shut-down. So I stored a few things, in a trunk.

The metal things were oiled; and each item was placed within a ziplock bag.

The trunk was lined with oil-tarp, and once all items were in the trunk I folded the tarp over the top of the items.

Within the top fold of the tarp I stored a revolver. I poured a couple quarts of used motor oil on the tarp, and shut the lid.

I wrapped the trunk in another tarp, as I placed it in the ground, and I poured another quart of used motor oil on that; and then I filled in the hole.

I went back a decade later, someone had poured a concrete slab and built a garage on the spot.

Oh well.
Could you have dug in at an angle at night or consecutive nights without the dig being discovered, that is, from a far side of the garage? Probably not worth the effort, eh?

Old 04-02-2010, 07:38 PM

571 posts, read 1,317,873 times
Way back when I had a job that allowed daydreaming I had the same thoughts. "Where could I bury something that I would be able to come back to many years from now and find it undisturbed?"
I decided that the best place would be in the little pieces of land at highway interchanges. You know, like the circle of land in a highway cloverleaf or even the triangular land by a highway on/off ramp.
I figured that since they always have trees or ornamental plantings I could walk in there at night and dig a hole hidden by the evergreens and bushes (over a couple of nights) then later place a sealed container and backfill.
I used to live near a highway and would hike around the area. I found old beer and soda bottles from the construction crews of the 1950's and '60's. The grass was only trimmed around the edges and not between the evergreens.
I figured that once the highway was built it was most likely not going to be disturbed by newer construction.
Even during the day it was easy to cross the entrance ramp/service roads and explore the areas. At night it would be easy as most areas are lit.
Anyway, that is the type of area I came up with for burying something and expecting it to be there in the future.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:37 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,184,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
Here is what I want to do:
I have a valuable piece of machinery I have no need for now, but want to keep it for the future, however, not in my house.

Therefore, I want to prepare it for long-term storage underground, along with multiple brass-cased hardware.

I also want to bury it on public property, but want to make sure the site will not be disturbed for 10+ years.

Sorry, I thought I retired my tinfoil hat.

So, any ideas?

---" I want to bury it on public property "--

I , and every other poster, are just as much owners of public property as you are and I'll bet the vast majority would tell you to not do any digging and burial of your possessions on their/my land.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:47 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,864,597 times
I don't mind,go ahead and dig what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness