Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 03:35 PM

628 posts, read 1,933,345 times

Advertisements

I've successfully sold some things through Craig's list, but it seems every time I post an item for sale for several hundred dollars or more, someone responds with an attempt to scam me. Typically, the person claims to be out of country and solicits my name and address to mail me money. There usually is a claim that a third party will pick up the item. Don't respond to them, or they will attempt to lure you deeper. Here's a response I just got:

"Thanks for your prompt responds, However, i will need your name and
address for payment,As am only able to make payment by money order at
this time b/c i am away on assignment. It will be nice if you can send
me more pictures. It will take about 7days for payment to get to you.
As per pick-up, I will make arrangement for the pick-up after payment
has been received by you. I don't mind adding thirty dollars so you
can keep it in my favor.Please take the posting off Craigslist today
and consider it sold to me, Include your phone number.
Expecting to hear from you soon."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 04:32 PM

262 posts, read 582,401 times
I think most people are on to this scam by now. A lot of press about this. Its a same when people take something helpful, like Craigs List, and make it something that people are afraid to use. I guess money *is* the root of all evil!

Old 08-25-2010, 05:15 PM

648 posts, read 1,333,517 times
It has also made me scared to answer Craigslist ads for rooms to rent. I wonder how many of them intend to chop people up into little pieces?

I've emailed so many and hardly get any responses. I just think, "Welp! They found someone to kill instead of me!"

Old 08-25-2010, 06:17 PM

52 posts, read 240,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbreadgirl View Post
I guess money *is* the root of all evil!
Not exactly. The Scriptures say that the love of money is the root of all evil. Slight change; big difference.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:55 PM

262 posts, read 582,401 times
You're right, Blackonyx. But you gotta figure the people who try to take advantage of others must have that love of money. Or maybe they are just bad guys. I guess you can't be too careful these days.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:33 PM

743 posts, read 3,900,028 times
I get e-mails like that, and just ignore them. I even ignore the e-mails that are VERY general. (Like, "Is the item still for sale?")

I have sold many items on Craigslist... from a Ski boat, to an X-box wireles adapter, to a Laserdisk player... and everyone has been really nice and easy to work with.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:36 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,160,220 times
Since this thread isn't specific to Northern Virginia, I've moved it to the Shopping and Consumer Products forum.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:53 AM

717 posts, read 2,808,071 times
I get emails like that quite often when I post some items. I like to respond by telling them that I am a Voodoo High Priestess and they chose the wrong person to scam for I have just put a curse on them for their wicked deeds.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:13 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,165,026 times
The handful of times I've used Craigslist, I've never had a problem. I think you can tell which ones are just 'weird'....even when it comes to rental ads. It is a really great community resource. Too bad the crazies pop up out of the woodwork no matter what.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:46 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,184,209 times
My son has been trying to sell his timeshare.

Seems everty response he gets is a scam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products