Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 09:07 AM

23 posts, read 85,526 times

Advertisements

Yeah, it definately depends on your financial situation. If you can afford the better service buy it.
If not, get the cheapest one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 07:40 AM

9,802 posts, read 16,250,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Oh man.......back when I worked retail I walked away from people that asked stuff like that....I knew that the customer wasnt going to buy.
No offense to the person that posted what I am quoting, but salespeople get hammered like that all day long, and some folks can get quite nasty about it.
Why wouldn't a store give a better deal on cash ?

Paying with plastic means the store just lost about 3%.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:41 AM

23,405 posts, read 37,118,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Why wouldn't a store give a better deal on cash ?

Paying with plastic means the store just lost about 3%.
When a store signs a contract with a manufacturer (and this goes across the board, not just furniture) they agree to a pricing minimum. Go below the minimum, and one can have the product, or in the case of single-line furniture stores, the whole franchise can be yanked.
I spent many a year in retail, my parents owned a store, thats how it works.
Oh, and if you think for a second that the store absorbs that 3%, I have a bridge that I would LOVE to sell you.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
When a store signs a contract with a manufacturer (and this goes across the board, not just furniture) they agree to a pricing minimum. Go below the minimum, and one can have the product, or in the case of single-line furniture stores, the whole franchise can be yanked.
I spent many a year in retail, my parents owned a store, thats how it works.
Oh, and if you think for a second that the store absorbs that 3%, I have a bridge that I would LOVE to sell you.
I know many places that don't absorb the " platic fee"

They have posted----"3% discount for cash or check"

A major auto body shop near me has a huge sign in their office--------" Cash or check"

" 3% added to bill for plastic"

There is not a place around me that will sell a hunting or fishing license if you use plastic.

Go find someone else to sell that bridge to !

Old 09-14-2010, 10:09 AM

48,493 posts, read 97,096,001 times
Bascailly your talk the rareity o cah discoutns. But to get back on topic .I;d take the cheaper price.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I know many places that don't absorb the " platic fee"

They have posted----"3% discount for cash or check"

A major auto body shop near me has a huge sign in their office--------" Cash or check"

" 3% added to bill for plastic"

There is not a place around me that will sell a hunting or fishing license if you use plastic.

Go find someone else to sell that bridge to !
Um, I am talking retail establishments, havent noticed a sign like that at Dillards, Macys, or anyplace like that.
Florida takes plastic for hunting and fishing licenses, although what that has to do with the matter at hand, I am sure I dont know.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:00 AM

I didn't see the names of Dillards or Macys anywhere in the OP.

Your point is ?

Old 09-14-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I didn't see the names of Dillards or Macys anywhere in the OP.

Your point is ?
WTF is your problem?
You know exactly what I meant.
Stop hijacking the thread.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
In my situation, when I shop around, if the higher priced store doesn't budge, I ask for a price match. If they match it, I go for the jugular and ask 'How much of a discount if I pay cash?'.

But I never ask both questions at once.

You be amazed how much you can save with just the second question these days.
Yup.......I agree.

Good point about ---the second question

Old 09-14-2010, 02:15 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,195,992 times
I have worked in retail as well and I am a bargain hunter. I will ask for price comparisons. Sometimes I get my way, sometimes not. I had this very same dilemma last year. We needed an inexpensive sofa for our basement. I knew I could get a sofa at IKEA for 399. I went to some local discount furniture stores in town the cheapest I could find was 500. Both sofas were of equal quality but the closest IKEA store is 90 minutes away in Chicago. I decided to make the trip to IKEA to save myself money and make a day of it. What I forgot about was that Chicago's sales tax is considerably higher than this area and after gas, extra tax, lunch...well I spent more than 500 bucks. I do not regret the purchase and I did enjoy my day shopping but well my idea of saving a little money went out the window. So figure out gas and other things if you will be traveling far to purchase the cheaper sofa. Another thing to consider is, what if you have a problem with the sofa, who will be better to deal with in the long run?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products