Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 03:41 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,971,142 times

Advertisements

Since the reference was towards buying furniture...people do not realize the VERY high markup they have. Many stores will have only one salesperson and lets face it...how many sofas are they selling in one weeks time?. Other then the rent...overhead costs are low. Foot traffic would be low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 03:54 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,087,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Since the reference was towards buying furniture...people do not realize the VERY high markup they have. Many stores will have only one salesperson and lets face it...how many sofas are they selling in one weeks time?. Other then the rent...overhead costs are low. Foot traffic would be low.
Back when I was selling furniture I averaged between 15-20K a week, thats quite a few sofas!

Old 09-14-2010, 04:45 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,971,142 times
Well if you have a nice body and a terrific smile plus the 1000 % markup you must be a millionaire today based upon your numbers quoted.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:54 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,087,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Well if you have a nice body and a terrific smile plus the 1000 % markup you must be a millionaire today based upon your numbers quoted.
Furniture markup is more in the range of 400%.
I didnt own the biz, I was a salesperson. 5% commission on sales. Millionaire? Right.......

Old 09-17-2010, 09:59 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,758,587 times
As others said it would depend on how much it would cost - in $ and effort - to get the first one.

I tend to buy from the place that will be easier to deal with if I have a problem. But if the cost saving is significant I will go out of my way to save the extra $.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:18 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,382,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Yup.......I agree.

Good point about ---the second question
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
In my situation, when I shop around, if the higher priced store doesn't budge, I ask for a price match. If they match it, I go for the jugular and ask 'How much of a discount if I pay cash?'.

But I never ask both questions at once.

You be amazed how much you can save with just the second question these days.

If it's a small establishment, you could probably save quite a bit, since some of them pocket some or all of the cash.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:03 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,345,967 times
Default The outcome

Well...I decided not to buy this particular style of item which nixed the dilemma of which retailer to buy it from. But one consideration that was most important to me was maintaining a good ongoing relationship with the store that gave me great service because they're really connected in the industry and offer losts of other services. I feel like I established that. Also, I spent some more time with other retailers. I felt under less "obligation" just because the first place gave me great service. I got good service elsewhere, too, and hey, it's a competitive world. (BTW, it's not a sofa, but the price point is similar which is why I used that example.)

The other consideration, as some of you mentioned, is service and warranty after purchase. I never checked with the cheaper place, but had they had the same warranty and service terms, I would have probably gone with the cheaper place. They did a nice thing for me, too, during this shopping process.

The first place was convenient because it's closer and I happen to go that way every week. But the second place was only 20 minutes further, just not on my regular weekly routes.

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate the interesting variety of replies.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:05 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,698,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I know many places that don't absorb the " platic fee"

They have posted----"3% discount for cash or check"

A major auto body shop near me has a huge sign in their office--------" Cash or check"

" 3% added to bill for plastic"

There is not a place around me that will sell a hunting or fishing license if you use plastic.

Go find someone else to sell that bridge to !

Read your merchant contract with the credit card companies....you can NOT offer a discount for cash or charge a premium for credit...which, of course, is the same thing.

Sure, it's done all the time, but on the sly....only fools post signs, huge or otherwise. If Visa/MC finds out you're doing it, they will cut you off.

As for the topic....I gladly pay more for "service after the sale" on big stuff like appliances. That big fridge might be cheaper at Home Depot or Best Buy, but Gawd help you if it's defective....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products