Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 02:54 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,566,094 times

Advertisements

Does anywhere in the US have the devices on shopping trollys/carts that you have to put a dollar in to use them ??

This is quite common in the UK and everyone returns their trolly to a specific area to get the pound back... makes perfect sense.

One thing that drives me mad is that quite often a quarter of the parking spaces at the supermarket are blocked by the shopping trollies people are too lazy to return.
Today I turned into a parking space and had to get out of the car to remove a trolly before I could complete the maneuver. The woman who had clearly left didn't even bat an eyelid ... despite that I left my car half behind hers whilst I moved the trolly.....I seriously wanted to leave it behind her car so she would hit it whilst reversing... Is it just me that finds this really annoying...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 07:55 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,383,184 times
Aldi is the only place I know of.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:30 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Me too...
However, I would welcome the idea...

Old 05-05-2011, 08:49 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Some of the Shop Rites in the Northeast require putting a quarter in the release the cart. I don't shop there often, and it catches me unawares every time!

In the south, Publix bagboys wheel your cart to your car and load the groceries for you, taking the cart back to the store.

I usually shop at Kroger, and our local store has a cart corral down every parking aisle. As long as the store makes returning the cart convenient, people use it.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:00 PM

486 posts, read 654,411 times
If the stores would make dropping the carts more convenient more people would use them. We park in a handicapped spot (DH is disabled) and the nearest cart drop is halfway down the parking lot! Yet right by the handicapped spots is a row of trees...put a cart drop there. It's Florida, it's hot, and I'm not hiking a cart half a mile to drop it off. Don't blame me, blame the store (or the county for mandating the stupid trees) for not making it handier.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:25 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
I have discovered a truism - the further a cart is from the store, the better the wheels on it. I always park a little away from a store and then grab one of the loose carts. I get some strange looks, but then I'm the only person in the store with a cart that isn't going "Whiggitde Whiggitde Whiggitde" down the aisle and twisting to the left or right.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:37 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaHappy View Post
We park in a handicapped spot (DH is disabled) and the nearest cart drop is halfway down the parking lot! Yet right by the handicapped spots is a row of trees...put a cart drop there. It's Florida, it's hot, and I'm not hiking a cart half a mile to drop it off. Don't blame me, blame the store (or the county for mandating the stupid trees) for not making it handier.
I do blame you!
You are not handicapped.

If the cart return is too far - I doubt it is a half a mile - just take the cart back into the store.
Handicapped spaces are always the ones closest to the door.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:45 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
We don't have cart deposits here in the South, at least not at your typical shopping venues like Kroger/Publics/Wal-Mart/Target etc. That would aggrevate me because I don't typically carry cash or change.

There is typically several cart return areas throughout the parking lot so you don't have to go far to get the cart in the return. Wandering carts are still an issue but not a HUGE issue and I can't remember the last time I had to exit the car and move a cart out of the way before i could park.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:18 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,566,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I do blame you!
You are not handicapped.

If the cart return is too far - I doubt it is a half a mile - just take the cart back into the store.
Handicapped spaces are always the ones closest to the door.
I have to agree.
If people are disabled or old people can't return their carts then I think that the supermarket should be sending someone to help them get the cart to their car to unload because surely that is a problem too ?? In most supermarkets the disabled bays are the the closest to to entrance and dropping the cart there is probably as easy as dropping it in another bay...

I have even seen people push their trolly past the drop off line of other trolleys with only one of two bags of groceries... surely its easier to carry the shopping and leave the trolley at the store ?? wheeling those things is never easy anyway...

We have the cart return bays too... just people don't use them...and the store does employ a guy to collect the trolleys but he is not the brightest button and also gets called on to do all manner of other things, helping old people get their groceries to their cars etc so he is never quite on top of his game
Next time I go I'm gonna take pictures...

I drive a low convertible and quite often can't see around the larger cars to see if the space is empty of carts until I am starting to turn in and have gotten out on a number of occasions. Admittedly I tend to just use the cart that was abandoned and it saves me trying to find another parking space but it still winds me up.

I figured the coin thing would work better here because nearly everyone drives to the supermarket as apposed to the UK where lots of people will walk there, and I'm guessing most people have at least a couple of coins in the car for parking meters ??

Old 05-06-2011, 07:21 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I don't shop at Aldi or any other store requiring a deposit just for that reason. I rarely have a quarter on me, and the one time I tried it, the damn thing jammed and I had to go back into the store for my quarter. No thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaHappy View Post
If the stores would make dropping the carts more convenient more people would use them. We park in a handicapped spot (DH is disabled) and the nearest cart drop is halfway down the parking lot!
a) You're not handicapped; your husband is;
b) The handicapped spots are closer to the door than to the cart corrals halfway down the aisle; take the cart back to where you got it in the first place.

Problem solved!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products