Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 07:47 PM

22 posts, read 75,596 times

Advertisements

At a grocery checkout earlier today, I moved my stuff out of my shopping baskets (I had two) and put the shopping baskets on the floor next to the counter. The clerk said in a loud and really angry-sounding voice "could I have that basket?" I handed them to her and she did not say thank you but instead kept grumpily entering stuff in her machine. There was this awkward silence.

What's a good way to handle this kind of minor but still really annoying rude behavior when it's happening? I don't feel like ignoring such surliness and I'd like to call it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 07:49 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Don't sweat the small stuff (It's all small stuff....).
Life is too short to get worked up over something that rarely happens (Grocery people are the usually the nicest, most volunteering merchants around).

The woman was probably having a bad moment, just like you and I will have in the next day or two.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:18 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,873,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KP11 View Post
At a grocery checkout earlier today, I moved my stuff out of my shopping baskets (I had two) and put the shopping baskets on the floor next to the counter. The clerk said in a loud and really angry-sounding voice "could I have that basket?" I handed them to her and she did not say thank you but instead kept grumpily entering stuff in her machine. There was this awkward silence.

What's a good way to handle this kind of minor but still really annoying rude behavior when it's happening? I don't feel like ignoring such surliness and I'd like to call it out.
One way is to be upfront and honest with the cashier and tell her, in a firm manner, that you can hear her just fine and she doesn't have to yell.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:19 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,931,186 times
***** slap her.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:42 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,891,980 times
I experienced a day at the workplace when a fellow employee on the floor was very rude and abrupt when it was necessary for me to deal with her. I came very close to “calling her out” regarding her behavior.

Later in the afternoon while talking with another person in the area, I discovered that she (the original gal) had lost a family loved one just earlier that morning. Apparently she was getting her work affairs in order before leaving for the day and attending to personal issues.

I’ve learned that each of us have bad moments with some personal stressful issues. It’s not always easy to deal with each other but we need to remember that they are human and have problems from time to time.

I’d simply leave it alone unless it occurs more frequently on repeated interactions with them.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:43 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,627,821 times
Ignore and don't get back in her line again.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:59 PM

44,369 posts, read 20,073,157 times
I, too, would just let it go. It bugs me when I get unfriendly service, but I remind myself that we all have bad days, and we don't know what burdens other people bear.

If I get repeated unfriendly service from a person, I make it my goal to make that person smile! It becomes my mission. With each visit, I will find something nice to say to the person - a compliment on their hair, a comment about the weather or about a bargain I'd found, etc. Eventually they wear down and say something friendly in return! It's way more fun than reporting the person to management and getting them into trouble.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:04 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,331,418 times
I think it depends... for me personally. It is better to let it ride, but sometimes I report u... and sometimes give as good as I get...

Old 05-30-2011, 09:21 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,891,980 times
Smother them with kindness! They’ll get the idea sooner or later.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:29 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,331,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Smother them with kindness! They’ll get the idea sooner or later.
U r such a kind man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products