Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 11:14 PM

77 posts, read 281,551 times

Advertisements

Totally confuse, so many brands and price ranges...

Samsung, Whirlpool, Kenmore, Maytag, GE, LG, Fridgaire, Electrolux, Kitchenaid, Bosch.

Does it makes sense to buy extended warranty offered by all retailers ?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 11:30 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Interesting question, ga_sam.

There may be many Refrigerator Brand Names, however, there are only two or three Refrigerator, or appliance, Manufacturers.

While shopping for a new appliances about a year ago, I learned most have basically the same guts. Paying more over a certain point only adds luxury features . . . read: Bells and Whistles. If these features appeal to you or you feel you will take advantages of them, go for it. Keep in mind, most appliances last for ten or more years so an extra hundred dollars or so really isn't all that much over the long haul.

Good Luck

Old 07-06-2011, 11:49 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,518,367 times
I had a Frigidaire in my old house for 5 years. It came with the house and had already been in use for at least 10 yaers before I got it. Moved it with me to my current house and it lasted 10 more years before it finally gave up the ghost. I was pleased with it, so when it came time to replace it, I went with another Frigidaire. Nothing fancy, just the basics. I figure the more bells and whistles, the more that can go wrong, so I prefer not to get too fancy with my appliances.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:18 AM

267 posts, read 693,030 times
If you can get a hold of a Consumer Reports at the library, they just about a month ago covered a lot of home appliances in an article. We just got a couple of appliances a couple of weeks ago from Spencer's in Mesa (washer/dryer pair and dishwasher) with no problems.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:40 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,689,197 times
don't pay much for anything you buy, and try to haggle for an extended warranty into the deal if you must buy new. The "maytag" man is long dead - and "nothing sucks as well as electrolux" (customer service).

Google a brand name and "lemon" or "junk"... you'll be underwhelmed with the quality & durability of the appliances you can buy today. Whatever you do, be sure to put the purchase on a credit card, so if your house gets flooded by your new washing machine when it's a week old (it happened to my parents!) , you can at least get your money back.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:14 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Personally up front: I'd never buy a side by side again (unless it was one of those w/a separate freezer) - secondly, never will buy a GE again either. JMO

Old 07-07-2011, 08:19 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,566,841 times
I would never buy a Kenmore again. I currently have a Whirpool Gold French style and I love it.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:51 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I being 64 have witnessed alot of different brands. I am very mpressed with my mother laws Samsung. Not impressed with out Maytag after the same time.'repaur three times for bad defrost circuit board. In fact not impressed with all the maytag applaicne we bought;al have had problems.But then I ask our repairman we used for years and has 45 year experince what he would buy. He basically said they all use alot of the same basic parts. He also said the more complicated by electroics the more expensive to repair.But as he said when you can buy the same basic features for the same price as in the 60's something as to give.He said at one time Frigidair was the best;as Maytag was the best washers and dryers.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:22 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,029,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
If you can get a hold of a Consumer Reports at the library, they just about a month ago covered a lot of home appliances in an article. We just got a couple of appliances a couple of weeks ago from Spencer's in Mesa (washer/dryer pair and dishwasher) with no problems.
I have bought appliances from Spencers in the past and just bought a new fridge from them in April. I had an Amana 25 cu ft side by side that I had bought new back in 2000 and had no major problems but it was working really hard this year and I needed a bigger fridge so I researched for about 2 months. I went into several stores and looked at all the models. It came down to Samsung and LG. The LG won out because I had a very bad experience with Samsung customer service over a laser printer that took almost a year to finally get them to refund my money. I also saw a lot of complaints about their customer service in general when I was researching. So I ended up picking the LG 28 cu ft french door fridge and I love it! LG also had the longest manufacturers' warranty. Spencers pricing was right in line with any one else's online price and including their in-house 5 year extended service warranty and in home delivery and set up was still only about $100 more than the least expensive online price. Also it was peace of mind of purchasing from someone local who I have done business with before and dealing with a local warranty company if repairs are ever needed. They also have a 30 day price match guarantee and I did the whole thing over the phone and got next day delivery. Great experience as expected.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:14 AM

77 posts, read 281,551 times
Thanks, I am alos narrowing down to LG, Samsung or Bosch, Can u give some idea whether spencer's is a outlet store or new ?

How much did u paid for your LG fridge, I am also looking at somehting similar, But by budget is around $1500
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products