Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 02:12 PM

16,080 posts, read 21,192,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
IF (and note the capital IF) the guy was using his phone to find the price from the store's own website, then either the store had not updated their pricing OR the clerk had figured out a way to add to his paycheck. It happens all the time. Hide the display, look for customers unlikely to want a receipt, add $2 to the cost, ring it up as normal, then sometime later fish the $2 out of the till. As for the store doing it, some places are notorious for advertising one price and selling at another. I recently got tagged for about $10 that way and I was ticked.

Was the customer "rude"? Nope.
Not necessarily, our web prices are cheaper than our store prices for the exact same item. Gotta pay for someone to stock the shelves and also for the convenience of having the item in hand as opposed to having to wait for it to be shipped. Lots of fun explaining that to customers who go to our dotcom site and then want the same price in the store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 06:17 PM

23,615 posts, read 70,512,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Not necessarily, our web prices are cheaper than our store prices for the exact same item. Gotta pay for someone to stock the shelves and also for the convenience of having the item in hand as opposed to having to wait for it to be shipped. Lots of fun explaining that to customers who go to our dotcom site and then want the same price in the store.

Although I understand the logic, I disagree that it is cogent logic, and I am going to go out on a limb and say that is one of the DUMBEST policies I've run across in a while. That is not a personal attack, simply a reflection that it wisses customers off and makes you lose them, instead of engendering a good feeling. One ticked off customer tells a hundred people, you know the drill.

If there is a "benefit" from not stocking shelves (which within a single chain is pure BS) and the company considers that customers have to PAY for convenience of paying to drive their car and pick up an item, the company has a severe and possibly fatal recto-cranial disorder. If it wants to offer a discount for online sales, put it as a separate DISCOUNT. If the webguru can't do that, he is an idiot. Get another.

Back in the bad old days, stores used to have sliding cost scales. I am NOT making this up. If the store knew that Mary Jones was part of the elite, she got charged MORE than Jenny O'Conner, who was poor. It wasn't charity, it was charging what the buyer would put up with, and it got pretty bad at times. Woolworth and others put a stop to that nonsense.

The whole concept of modern merchandising is based on the idea of a FIXED price per store... with the exception that various stores within the chain had some manager input on pricing and there could be upcharges for expensive locations to cover real-estate and taxing authority costs.

Most state consumer rights laws OUTLAW advertising one price and then charging a higher one, and rightly so. If that price is a web price and you walk into a store and the price is higher, you have been played for a fool. Walking out and lodging a complaint with the state is not rude, it is a reaction to bait and switch pricing.

If you work for such a company, one that advertises one price online, and charges a higher price for a customer to have the privilege of picking it up in person, please give the name of that company. I want to avoid shopping there at all costs.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:06 PM

16,080 posts, read 21,192,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

If there is a "benefit" from not stocking shelves (which within a single chain is pure BS) and the company considers that customers have to PAY for convenience of paying to drive their car and pick up an item, the company has a severe and possibly fatal recto-cranial disorder. If it wants to offer a discount for online sales, put it as a separate DISCOUNT. If the webguru can't do that, he is an idiot. Get another.

If you work for such a company, one that advertises one price online, and charges a higher price for a customer to have the privilege of picking it up in person, please give the name of that company. I want to avoid shopping there at all costs.
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear, my apologies.
Not advertised online, as in this is our weekly instore ad that you can view online.
From the dotcom site you order from, a seperate entity from the brick and mortar stores.
The dotcom has just one price no matter if you live in NYC or in Nowheresville OK, whereas the brick and mortar stores have different pricing according to locale.

We offer a ton of products on our dotcom site that we don't offer in stores at all, but some of the products overlap. Sometimes the instore prices are higher than the online price, and the dotcom site specifically states the price is available only for online orders.
Yet we have customers come come to the store and get angry that A: we don't carry that product they saw online, or B: we have a price different than the ONLINE special.
They don't seem to grasp the difference between shopping online and shopping at the store, as if it's all the same.

And it's not just us. Last C'mas my daughter and I went to Best Buy to look at a hard drive she saw online for a really good price.
The store had it for about $30 more than the online price and they don't price match their online prices (most places don't from what I've seen) either.
So we took out her cellphone while we were in Best Buy and ordered the hard drive from the online site for instore delivery.
We went to lunch and finished our shopping and by the time we got done the hard drive was at the store and ready for us to pick up, $30 less than if we had just picked one up from the shelf and carried it to the register.
I won't argue that it makes much sense, but that is how a lot of stores do business now.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:16 PM
Status: " living in beautiful Charleston South Carolina" (set 17 hours ago)

8,819 posts, read 21,298,349 times
Most likely the guy looked up the wine on Google and found the cheapest price of $10 so obviously that's what every store in America should sell it for.

Good. So let him order it on Amazon, pay for shipping and get a broken bottle of wine in the mail.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 12-12-2011, 07:21 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,214,442 times
Sadly, some people are just pathetic losers who think they are somehow entitled to having their butts kissed everywhere they go. Fortunately this does not represent a very large portion of consumers.

Many under 30 consumers believe that they should get the lowest internet price everywhere they go. They have no concept of the costs involved in running a brick and mortar business. For as long as they can remember, Google and Amazon were life.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:33 PM

532 posts, read 1,466,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Most likely the guy looked up the wine on Google and found the cheapest price of $10 so obviously that's what every store in America should sell it for.

Good. So let him order it on Amazon, pay for shipping and get a broken bottle of wine in the mail.

I'm with you !!!

and the same people will wonder how come they can't find a small local Liquor store anymore.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:26 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,912,051 times
I've done that before. I don't see what the problem is.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:41 PM

16,399 posts, read 30,321,072 times
Quote:

Or until the guy orders the wine only to discover that it cannot be shipped to his state.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:41 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,175,722 times
Quote:

I've ordered liquor online several times. It's never arrived broken and is typically cheaper after shipping.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:08 PM

22,619 posts, read 47,758,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I've ordered liquor online several times. It's never arrived broken and is typically cheaper after shipping.
Nice you have that option... many of us don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products