Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 02:03 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times

Advertisements

When did they begin appearing in YOUR town? How do you like them in comparison to regular (manned) check-out lanes?

The first time I saw them here in Duluth was in 2010 at a local supermarket chain; now many stores, including Wal-Mart, have them. The wait is usually minimal and I use them if I have few items; if I have multiple items, the convenience of having somebody else scan your goods is worth the queue. The time of their arrival coincided with the beginning of the period when I was on food stamps, which was nice (although the shame that comes with an "Eat Better Today" card is only temporary).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 08:06 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
The lines are typically shorter but the cashiers are much faster than I am. So, given the choice, I'd rather have a cashier (especially if she is cute).

Old 03-26-2013, 09:19 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I think they are great. I find the cashiers to be trying too hard with their fake friendliness (with a few exceptions) and express lines are always long, while the self-serve is usually only 1-2 people ahead of me. Trader Joe's cashiers are fast and seem genuinely friendly, so I'm glad they don't have self checkouts.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:50 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
They've been around a good while here, maybe 8-10 years? I like them unless I have a large order or if I have a lot of produce to weigh.
Or unless I'm behind someone clueless and the wait for them to figure out what they're doing is longer than going to the regular lanes!

Old 03-27-2013, 02:40 AM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
They've been around here for quite a few years. Iuse them when I have only a few items and am rushed. Otherwise with a cart full of stuff I go through the regular checkout. And if you have coupons it seems faster in the regular checkout lane rather than waiting for a clerk to come get your coupons then go to their computer and enter them. Also liqour ID can slow things up in the self service too waiting for someone to check your ID out.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:42 AM

486 posts, read 863,578 times
I noticed them about 6 years ago (???) where I live. I do use them on occasion when I don't have a lot of
groceries. The check out is quicker but one reason I like it is that I can bag the items myself. The reason
for this is - there have been so many times (depending on the cashier) where things were bagged so bad that either
I couldn't lift them (they would put all the heavy things in one bag) or would crush things like bread, pretzels etc.,
because they would put cans on top of these.
Also, what people may not know is that the major stores time their cashiers. If they don't do it within a specific
time frame they get reprimanded.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:24 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,154,641 times
I started noticing them maybe 5 years ago or so. Could've been a little longer, but I'm not sure.

I like them, but only because I like to see each item as I ring it up to make sure the price is correct. I've asked cashiers before to wait to scan until I finish unloading the cart, but they say they can't (and I never ask if there is a line behind me so I don't get it). I've had prices ring up wrong that I didn't get to see until afterwards, so I had the annoyance of having to go wait in the customer service line to get it fixed.

So I just do self checkout now. If an item scans wrong, I call the girl over and continue to scan while I wait.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:44 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
I love them and almost always use them if they're available.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:58 AM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I So I just do self checkout now. If an item scans wrong, I call the girl over and continue to scan while I wait.
Interesting ^^^, here when an item scans wrong or there's a problem everything stops immediately until the person in charge comes over to fix it. They need to see what's wrong.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:12 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Can't recall when I first started seeing them... but I was thrilled... however, the novelty work off quickly based on locations.

I think BJ's Wholesale was one of the first that I recall... however, it was pretty much useless. You scan the item, then put it on the belt (which then moves it over to the end to be loaded onto the cart). However, the sensors weren't sensitive enough.. so more often than not, it didn't register the item being placed on the belt and balked at you. So you ended up having the person override the system.... again, and again...

Overall today - its good as you have 4-6 of them and it does take away from the cashiered lines. And it is faster on average (especially if you have only a few items). But if you run into any technical glitches...the wait can be a bit longer for a clerk to help out. Of course, when you have someone that can't figure it out... all bets are off.

I can't wait for the day where everything is RFID'd. And you can simply have everything rung up at the same time as you walk out the door - a la the IBM commercial from a few years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products