Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2013, 11:50 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times

Advertisements

Pasteurized process cheese product ...what is that
WHAT'S THAT STUFF? - Process Cheese

I know it's on fast food burgers and what not, and I like fast food burgers. Given that, I think I've eaten maybe 10 fast food burgers in the last 2 years. In the grocery, I'm looking at cheese and it's like a dollar more (or so) for the "real" cheese and then there is the fake cheese. I'd rather have the real cheese. Then again, I love a butter fried cheese sandwich made with Velveeta. Guess I'm a hypocrite. Mom used to always used Velveeta for fried cheese sandwiches when we were kids. To me, that's a (the best) cheese sandwich.

Real cheeses contains pasteurized milk, cheese cultures, enzymes, and salt. Whereas processed cheese is made with added emulsifiers such as calcium phosphate, sodium citrate and sodium phosphate.

When I was stationed in Japan, there was the Commissary milk, and you could also buy milk off base, although, it was more expensive. I left a glass of commissary milk on my desk one night. I woke up the next morning and it had separated into a base of white, calcium looking stuff and ... oil. ///////seriously//// oil. Like vegetable oil.

I never drank that crap again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 07:46 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Velveeta and American cheese are OK to add to macaroni and cheese but that's about it. We like to get Coastal Cheddar at Costco, imported from the UK, that has a little bite to it. For grilled cheese sandwiches, burgers, or sandwiches, domestic cheddar, swiss, havarti or provolone. We'll see what's on sale at the deli and grab it.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:22 AM

271 posts, read 600,651 times
I buy processed cheese sometimes for burgers and grilled cheese sandwiches. But I do prefer the cheddar from the deli section.

I read somewhere that if the first ingredient listed on the processed cheese is american cheese, it's better than the ones that list milk as the first ingredient. So I always check the labels now. I was surprised that the store brand (Shop Rite) has cheese listed first, and the more expensive brands Borden's and Kraft has milk listed first. And the Shop Rite one actually tastes much better.

What I avoid at all costs are some of the off brands that sell for .99 cents around here. My son purchased it once, it lists vegetable oil as the first ingredient, and wow it was tasted nasty.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:45 PM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,781 times
I always buy real cheese if at all possible - try to never buy processed "cheese food"

Old 04-08-2013, 09:50 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Back when the product was first introduced, the dairy industry wanted to force it to be called (true story) "embalmed cheese."

As for dairy products now - you do know that fruit juice can be added to milk and it is still legally "milk"?
Cottage cheese is thickened with guar gum
Heavy cream is thickened with guar or other gums
Unsalted butter has enzymes added back in for flavor

Now what was that about PURE dairy products???

Old 04-09-2013, 09:52 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
I only buy "real" cheese. I never buy the processed stuff at all, and don't even like it.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:19 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,774 times
After reading that pre-shredded cheese contains the equivalent of micro wood shavings to keep it from clumping, I buy my own fresh mozarella and cheddar and shred it myself. I also like the different flavors of feta, gruyere, mild swiss, etc. Call me a cheese snob....

Old 04-28-2013, 01:08 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
I just make sure it's not the oil based cheese that is actually made with hydrogenated oils rather than dairy.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:02 AM

61,720 posts, read 87,123,005 times
I don't buy processed cheese. Grated real cheese melts just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products