Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 05:42 AM

238 posts, read 1,144,549 times

Advertisements

I was walking through the local big Regional Shopping Mall in my hometown a few days ago and felt out of place. It has almost 300 stores. I had never felt so isolated and out of place before. I enjoyed the nice walk from one end to another and the people watching- but I had no interest in the merchandise. It all was orientated towards people in their 20s or people who like to buy alot of material goods that they really do not need.

I remember the stores back in the 60s and 70s were full of goods everyone needed and they had clothes for people of all age. I guess is for Sears and Walmart today. The big Regional Malls are full of over priced junk made at Third World Sweat Shops. I can not relate to most of the stores!

What do you think of the big Regional Malls selection of stores?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 07:39 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
I was walking through the local big Regional Shopping Mall in my hometown a few days ago and felt out of place. It has almost 300 stores. I had never felt so isolated and out of place before. I enjoyed the nice walk from one end to another and the people watching- but I had no interest in the merchandise. It all was orientated towards people in their 20s or people who like to buy alot of material goods that they really do not need.

I remember the stores back in the 60s and 70s were full of goods everyone needed and they had clothes for people of all age. I guess is for Sears and Walmart today. The big Regional Malls are full of over priced junk made at Third World Sweat Shops. I can not relate to most of the stores!

What do you think of the big Regional Malls selection of stores?
I'm not crazy about going to the mall; I rarely go for the reasons you stated, plus most of the stores that I want/need to go to either aren't in the mall or have locations outside of a mall.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:30 AM

786 posts, read 1,176,747 times
I have nothing against "overpriced junk made in Third World sweat shops". But I abhor crowds and having to walk a half-mile to get from one place to another - or just to park, for that matter. So I usually make an appearance at the mall... oh, perhaps once a year. And I know I have gone as long as a few years between visits, too. So I do a lot if internet buying.. including big-ticket items.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:20 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
I rarely visit malls, thanks to online shopping. I also prefer "mom & pop" boutique type stores. The mall was fun when I was younger, but now as a mom, they're an inconvenience since the stores don't really accomodate strollers.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:07 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,282,976 times
Could you describe what you mean by the local big Regional Shopping Mall . Is that just a regular mall ? Does it have different stores from every other mall? I don't think we have one on Long Island, then.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:47 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
Our local mega mall was recently found to been target in a "terrorist plot" recently. Though it never happened. Kinda scares me so I avoid it at holiday time.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:09 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Mall of America mall?

Too much, too much, too much. Went a few times with friends that do it every year. Three was one too many. God, what a drudge!

Old 11-16-2007, 08:16 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
There is one in this area called Concord Mills. I don't feel safe in this type mall. I prefer park in front of and walk a few steps type stores.

Oh, I forgot. I have been to this mall once. Once was enough.

Old 11-17-2007, 03:19 AM

531 posts, read 1,744,257 times
I visited Hanes mall in North Carolina this summer(I was traveling-on my way to South Carolina). Nice to see it,but a bit too big for me. I like to shop(when I can afford it) but don't like giant malls that much.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:55 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Personally, I LOVE the big Malls

Then again, I LOVE to shop!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products