Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 01:29 PM

3,527 posts, read 6,524,562 times

Advertisements

It's popular for crooks to steal an item from a store and then "return" them for the refund.

Aren't they required to have a paper receipt - wouldn't that cut down on this? Do some thieves make their own fake receipts?

Doesn't the bar code system make it harder for people to do this?

Question about bar codes: Does the bar code on an item, like a TV, have only the type of item, or does it have something unique for each TV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 04:48 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
When stores insist on a receipt, then they turn off people who receive a gift they can't use. Many companies tried to work around this by issuing a "gift receipt" (no price listed) to be included in the package, but that still requires to giver to make sure it's enclosed.

The bar codes are generic, not individual to each item sold.

Most stores will give a store credit without any receipt, but if the merchandise was stolen to begin with, they still lose money.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:55 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,736,872 times
What numerous stores are doing now is requesting drivers licenses and typing all the information into their computer systems. If its a chain store and it pops up that the person has done refunds before w/o receipts then they refuse it per company policy. If nothing pops up then usually a gift card is issued at the lowest price over the past 30 days. And even if they use the gift card and later try returning it again, all they will end up with is another gift card.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:10 PM

802 posts, read 1,681,746 times
I work in retail so hopefully my answer helps.

We will usually take back the item, but you will get the lowest price in the last 90 days and store credit. We must first input the information on your driver's license before processing the return.

Now, I think the following is more prevalent based on my experience; people will purchase things and then come back to the store another day. They will take the same items off the shelf at this time and try to return them with the receipt. Loss Prevention usually catches them via the cameras and tells me to decline the refund. In my experience, the person made an excuse to do something, and then they ended up not coming back lol.

In regards to the bar code, the UPC is only specific to the general product, not to each separate item. For some game systems, I have to scan a UPC and an additional SKU, but I'm not sure why and if that's a different case (maybe higher priced items are tracked on an individual level to avoid inventory problems as you suggest).

Old 11-30-2013, 11:49 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
In general, Universal Product Codes have each manufacturer assigned a part of the code and then the manufacturer sets the product (model # or whatever) code within their "domain," which makes most of the rest of the code. There are variations and there are things like checksum error checks and country codes, and other product variations. Food products generally use straight UPC, drugs has a special subset, clothing and electronics may use other codes as well.

I've not run into significant reports of thieves trying to make and fake receipts. A standard modern P.O.S. system reports date, time, cashier, and has a trackable bar code of its own on the receipt. A faked receipt would be immediately obvious as soon as that code was scanned for a refund, or the date/time/cashier info punched in. In many stores, the cashiers are constantly monitored and recorded as part of loss prevention. I expect systems to soon be able to bring back a video clip of any sale or refund transaction.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
.... I have to scan a UPC and an additional SKU, but I'm not sure why and if that's a different case (maybe higher priced items are tracked on an individual level to avoid inventory problems as you suggest).
Usually high price items like electronics have a serial number bar code and current cash registers scan those into the system also.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:29 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The bar codes are generic, not individual to each item sold.
Not any more. I recently returned a pair of jeans never worn to Costco due to having lost weight. They scanned the tag and found that I had bought them 2 years ago (still gave me cash refund). Their nventory control systems have become very sophisticated. When something has been stolen it will show up as not having been sold (=stolen). I expect other retailers to be upgrading their systems and eventually end this practice of steal/return, and send theives back to the flea markets and ebay.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Not any more. I recently returned a pair of jeans never worn to Costco due to having lost weight. They scanned the tag and found that I had bought them 2 years ago (still gave me cash refund). Their nventory control systems have become very sophisticated. When something has been stolen it will show up as not having been sold (=stolen). I expect other retailers to be upgrading their systems and eventually end this practice of steal/return, and send theives back to the flea markets and ebay.
Well not exactly. Most likely that UPC hasn't been sold in two years. Many companies, like Dillards, add a second UPC label to time stamp the sale of items which show a date range for the item being sold. Thus items missing those secondary labels are known to either not have been sold by them or was pulled off a shelf and a return was attempted.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:05 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,851,411 times
Quote:
When they scanned the UPC on your *old* jeans, they compared that item to what you bought in the past.
They noted that you did buy a pair *just like it*, and thus decided to give you credit for that item.

As was stated before, The UPC code only has the individual data of that item and does not have any links to who bought it,
unless you find the buyer first and then compare what he bought before.

Example.

My wife bought a new hearing aid (Costco).
It had different batteries compared to the old unit she had.
The Hearing Aid clerk told her to take the old unused batteries to the Service desk.
They pulled up the records of my wife and found the exact items on her data base.
They credited her credit card with the amount equal to the batteries she had left.
One battery blister-pak was 1/3 used.

We asked how they were able to do that, and they answered that all the unused batteries were given to the Hearing Aid Center, to be given to clients who needed batteries *on the fly*.
Costco apparently provides free batteries (when in need) free to customers ...
We found that out when she took ownership of the new hearing aid. Costco gave her 3 *full* blister-paks !!

Old 12-02-2013, 08:19 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
Quote:
I bet they also scanned your "membership card" which is how they matched the product to you. This is the same concept behind the "My Lowes card", no need for the receipts as they match the products to you which gives them the date, time, store, cashier, quantity, method of payment (thats how they know to ask for your Lowes card, Mastercard, amex, etc) and they probably even know how you filled out the customer satisfaction survey since all thats ties to your identity number. So, costco does not need your receipt since they can see everything (probably your mug shot as well) you ever bought and returned (or other linked family members) via your membership card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products