Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 06:54 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
Lots of good ideas in this thread, but personally I prefer to shop without a list/plan because I don't know what's going to be a good deal until I go in. If you plan what you're going to make that week and the ingredients are overpriced then what do you do?

That is the whole point of planning weekly menu around the sale flyer. If something pops up which is a good sale and it wasn't on the flyer then it is a nice surprize. But I sit with the wednesday flyer and my list of meals and grocery list. takes a few extra minutes but it's a good habit to get into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 07:04 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
its all relative- stop going out to eat ,,,stop with buying uneeded coffee's , cut the alcohol, tobacco, and useless entertainment

i buy in bulk, freeze cheap meats,,,,i buy mark downs,,,, i buy the whole pieces of primals and cut myself,,
i buy the loss leaders, cherry pick the specials,,i stopped buying organics and going to farmers markets,,,half of this hype isnt what we think it is..

Who doesn't need coffee? Not this gal..... Sometimes, being frugal can only go so far

Old 02-26-2014, 07:23 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
"don't use manufacturer coupons because most are for processed foods I wouldn't normally buy" thank you. I thought I was the only person who thinks that most coupons (clipped from sunday paper) are for new introductions and for things I never buy anyway. How is that saving us money?
If you have Aldi, shop there, cheapest prices around. AND they also carry alcohol which is very cheap and surprisingly good.
Also: if you can bake anything yourself, do it.
Get a freezer, we do not have one (small house, no place to put it and frequenty power outages in our area) but if we did I could save a boatload of money by stocking up.
If you like tomatoes, grow your own, seriously, tomatoes are very easy to grow and just one plant should get you a many tomatoes. Mine do well just in a patio pot.
In our house, coffee is a MUST. I also drink tea, and have to use a brand-name. I have tried other cheap teas and they taste awful.
Also, shop the ethnic food aisles in the stores. The Mexican, italian, indian, polish sections, etc. all have great selections at very cheap prices. Because you are not paying for advertising, you generally get more in the package at a cheaper cost. Esp. the pasta. I can regularly get a huge bag of mfg. In Italy pasta for 99 cents. AND its good. Cheap pasta tastes bland.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:37 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
That is the whole point of planning weekly menu around the sale flyer. If something pops up which is a good sale and it wasn't on the flyer then it is a nice surprize. But I sit with the wednesday flyer and my list of meals and grocery list. takes a few extra minutes but it's a good habit to get into.
That makes sense, but I usually shop at Costco and Meijer and I don't think they have weekly flyers, but I could be mistaken.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:41 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times
I don't skimp on food I just do away with unnecessary things like $400 smart phones with $150+plans every month. All that money saved buys me some real tasty food

Old 02-26-2014, 08:45 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Who doesn't need coffee? Not this gal..... Sometimes, being frugal can only go so far
now marylee, i know some people that spend 6-8 dollars a day just on coffe, 2 a day of hi test triple latte' cappicino, dark roast with whipped cream

its funny how self-indulgent money is different than grocery money...... its like someone complaning about a grocery item that went up by 10 cents, but a few hours later that same person is buying an 8 dollar drink in a restaurant..

but maybe they can afford that 8 dollar drink because they are frugal in other areas,,yeah, thats gotta be it..

Old 02-27-2014, 04:19 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Not only food — also drug store items. I swear the cost of toothpaste has doubled in ten years. Paper products are so expensive you'd think they were made of refined oil.

I like the Up and Up brands Target sells. I find them to be quite similar to brand-name products I prefer for much less. I buy in the off-season and in bulk. I use coupons and read the supermarket ads to comparison shop. I try to keep a neat pantry and linen closet so I can see what I have at hand and when I am low on something I keep an eye out for it on sale somewhere. I buy things online when I can get free shipping. And I always do a Google search for discounts before I place my order. There is almost always some discount one can apply to an online purchase for any company except Amazon.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:24 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
no smart phone here except one from DH's company
$7.00 emergency use only phone for me but I never know where it is so...
basic cable and free for 90 days with Showtime, netflix is a must have
no coffee and I'm probably the only person in the world who has never set foot in a starbucks,
no liquor except a bottle of red or white wine for cooking which lasts forever- usually less than $10 on sale
I can count on one hand I've been in a McDonalds, Burger King
If I'm gonna eat on the road I want to be reasonably sure my food is healthy and safely prepared
few if any paper products, have cloth napkins, washcloths at kitchen sink and loads of kitchen towels

but I do buy expensive -not at the grocery store- pet food. I would rather buy premium pet food to keep them healthy than have huge vet bills

Old 02-27-2014, 04:32 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Not only food — also drug store items. I swear the cost of toothpaste has doubled in ten years.
AIM is 99 cents a tube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Paper products are so expensive you'd think they were made of refined oil.
Easy solution, don't buy paper products. Buy some towels and wash them. A lot cheaper, and better for the environment.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:49 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
I don't skimp on food I just do away with unnecessary things like $400 smart phones with $150+plans every month. All that money saved buys me some real tasty food
I’m with you on this.

I may cut out some pure decadent or luxury food items, but I'm not going to get so worked up over rising food cost when there are hundreds of other non-essential budget items I can tweak.

Overall, my strategy is to make sure my financial compensation keeps pace with rising essential budget items. Everything is going up so I make sure my pay keeps going up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products