Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 10:30 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,417,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
With that green marker, you had the dime. Just sayin'.....

This thread has gotten very funny.

The store's employees either likely never noticed he was no longer coming in, or they are thankful he is no longer coming in, depending on what they had to put up with. Some behaviors are not worth putting up with - certainly not for $20 in profit per week, and CERTAINLY not risking losing a job over.
Peach you might want to go back and re read the topic title .
I'm sure there are places you go to on a regular basis,probably consider yourself a regular, talk to the employe/s, maybe one day you'll come up a dime short and discover your patronage to the business is worthless, at that point you may realize its not really about the dime per se

Last edited by jambo101; 12-06-2014 at 10:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 11:56 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,788,273 times
Regular or not your expectations are quite absurd. Yes it is only 10 cents to you, but what is it to the person behind the counter?

The cash drawer is off, perhaps the person working has gotten in trouble a few times for not having a balanced drawer. You are in essence expecting them to risk their job because you are entitled? Unbelievable.

Old 12-06-2014, 04:15 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,787,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Peach you might want to go back and re read the topic title .
I'm sure there are places you go to on a regular basis,probably consider yourself a regular, talk to the employe/s, maybe one day you'll come up a dime short and discover your patronage to the business is worthless, at that point you may realize its not really about the dime per se
Hmmmm, sure, there are stores I go to on a regular basis, but I do not know the employees' names, nor do they know mine. They are familiar faces, sure, but I do not consider them friends, nor do they consider me their friend. It is purely a business arrangement...they provide a service or product I am willing to pay for. I like it that way. I prefer it that way. I would NEVER expect any one of them to "front me" if I happened to be short. First of all, I ALWAYS have extra money in my vehicle, and second, I usually pay with a credit card, so an extra cost would be a non-issue anyway.

Old 12-06-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Regular or not your expectations are quite absurd. Yes it is only 10 cents to you, but what is it to the person behind the counter?

The cash drawer is off, perhaps the person working has gotten in trouble a few times for not having a balanced drawer. You are in essence expecting them to risk their job because you are entitled? Unbelievable.
He just does not seem to understand that an employee is not willing to risk his or her job for 10 cents.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
He just does not seem to understand that an employee is not willing to risk his or her job for 10 cents.
Unlike the USA where you can evidently be fired for a dime or in some cases no reason at all in Canada employees have rights under Canadas labor code,One of those rights is the ability for an employee to file a complaint with the labor board if they have in their opinion been unfairly terminated,whereupon an investigation will follow where the owner/boss will have to explain to the labor board the reason for the employees termination.
While the American corporate head office may have a policy about not letting small change slide if a customer comes up short its a virtually impossible policy to enforce in Canada as going to court and telling the adjudicator that the employee was terminated because her cash was a dime short would have the court reinstating the employee with full back pay and the owner/boss getting a stern rebuke for wasting the courts time.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
First of all, I ALWAYS have extra money in my vehicle, and second, I usually pay with a credit card, so an extra cost would be a non-issue anyway.
Looks good on paper peach but what if you used a service and when it came time to pay you realized you'd left your wallet in the car and you go out to find your car or wallet has been stolen.
Or you are relying on a credit card to pay for something and it doesnt work,
Or all that extra cash you thought you had turns out was in the other pair of pants.
Situations like this can happen and when they do its nice to have an understanding employee.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Looks good on paper peach but what if you used a service and when it came time to pay you realized you'd left your wallet in the car and you go out to find your car or wallet has been stolen.
Or you are relying on a credit card to pay for something and it doesnt work,
Or all that extra cash you thought you had turns out was in the other pair of pants.
Situations like this can happen and when they do its nice to have an understanding employee.
In the extremely unlikely event that any of your offered situations would occur, then I would expect to walk away from the store with NO PRODUCT! I do not expect ANYONE to cover for me!

Old 12-07-2014, 04:31 AM

Quote:
In the extremely unlikely event that any of your offered situations would occur, then I would expect to walk away from the store with NO PRODUCT! I do not expect ANYONE to cover for me!

And what if you've eaten that product?a restaurant meal perhaps
Or what if the product is irretrievable say a tank full of gas>?
Coming up short isnt something most people consciously set out to do and is usually the result of some unexpected occurrence,in this case an unexpected 10 cent rise in the price of coffee over the weekend.
I can count on one hand the times i've come up short in my 67 years,up till now i've had the good fortune to be trusted to resolve the situation by being allowed to leave and return with required funds.
IMO letting me slide for a day on the dime would have impacted no one and is the type of thing you do for your regular customers, however if your job is so precarious that you can lose it over a dime i'd say you wont be working at that place long as they'll find some other trivial issue to fire you.
I think these employees are unfamiliar with their Canadian rights and are just blindly observing an unenforceable American head office policy.
http://www.cwilson.com/resource/news...yment-law.html

Last edited by jambo101; 12-07-2014 at 04:56 AM..

Old 12-07-2014, 04:39 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,259,067 times
Quote:
however if your job is so precarious that you can lose it over a dime i'd say you wont be working at that place long as they'll find some other trivial issue to fire you.
But remember, the issue you presented doesn't mean the only option was shorting the register.
Some here have exaggerated your lack of preventative options and then they go ahead and the over-exaggerate the clerk's situation with 'what-ifs'.
I.E.....taking the one dime and multiplying it by many dimes a day over the course of the year.
And they accuse you of drama????

Old 12-07-2014, 10:18 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,666,402 times
Quote:
And what if you've eaten that product?a restaurant meal perhaps
Or what if the product is irretrievable say a tank full of gas>?
Coming up short isnt something most people consciously set out to do and is usually the result of some unexpected occurrence,in this case an unexpected 10 cent rise in the price of coffee over the weekend.
I can count on one hand the times i've come up short in my 67 years,up till now i've had the good fortune to be trusted to resolve the situation by being allowed to leave and return with required funds.
IMO letting me slide for a day on the dime would have impacted no one and is the type of thing you do for your regular customers, however if your job is so precarious that you can lose it over a dime i'd say you wont be working at that place long as they'll find some other trivial issue to fire you.
I think these employees are unfamiliar with their Canadian rights and are just blindly observing an unenforceable American head office policy.
Border Crossing: Differences Between Canadian and U.S. Employment Law | Work Place Post, April 2008 | Clark Wilson LLP
Can't buy gas anywhere here without prepaying or sliding your credit card in so that one is pointless.

How often do people go to restaurants without their wallet, cash, or credit card? Can't say I've ever done it. Then again, I never leave my house with only $2.

You've got more what if's than Carter's has pills! Just admit you screwed up by not having enough money. Geesh. What's the big deal? Here we are a week later and the world is still spinning. The world hasn't ended over a cup of coffee! Amazing!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products