Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 02:14 AM

7,639 posts, read 8,711,366 times

Advertisements

I know people who stopped shopping at a store/supermarket as the result of having a very bad experience with customer service, such as an argument, or whatever request not getting a satisfying resolution. The point is, the store/market used to be their favorite or main place to buy stuffs regularly. Then, like children fighting, they tell themselves "I will never have business with you again!" But I bet the store doesn't care if this was an isolated case. Whose loss is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 01:16 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
I have stopped shopping at stores if the customer service is really bad AND after bringing it to their attention, they fail to correct it. I will always make sure the management of the store or executives of the corporation are told the specific reasons and why I feel I can not and will not patronize their store anymore. It also helps if you can articulate your value to them otherwise they may just see you as a dime-a-dozen customer (or a whinny complaining pip) who they could care less if you stop shopping from them.

Disclaimer: I am, however, in a position in life where I don't have to play the low price game; so my situation is probably different than most consumer.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:20 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
No.

Bad service = I ain't going.

There is so much competition around here for everything, from grocery stores to car dealers to pet stores...

I am at the point of my life that customer service and a quality product is what matters to me most.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:33 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
In general, the three strike rule applies. Like people, retailers have bad days too.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:55 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
I'd only go back if it's something I really needed and couldn't get it anywhere else.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:19 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,518 times
I have only stopped shopping at a few places due to bad service, one which ran themselves under and got bought out (local gas station,) one which went completely under (Circuit City), and a local Mennonite store (still in business last I saw.) The gas station manager forced me to pay almost $3 for the little foam cup I used to fill the reusable cup that I had purchased from that store when the reusable cup did not fit properly in the new coffee machines. Circuit City attempted to make the friend I was with pay a 20% restocking fee on a $700 computer that had a defective modem in it and wouldn't waive the fee until they had a 15 minute argument with me. The Mennonite store I walked in, was the only person there in the store, and ordered 2 lbs of lunch meat, and 2 lbs of cheese. The employee saw fit to snap at me that I was ordering too much without calling in first, which I could understand if it was busy in there, but again I was the only customer at the time. All three times I let my money do the talking, and started shopping elsewhere.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:19 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
In 1970 I bought a Toyota Corona. It would literally get stuck on wet, flat, grass. It was the worse winter driving car I ever had and it would not start when cold outside. The dealer tried to tell me that I needed to buy a cold weather kit so that it would start - I asked him if all the others came with cold weather kits. Anyway; I kept it only one year and traded it in on another car at another dealer. It has been 44 years and I have never gone back to that dealer or ever bought another Toyota - even though I know that many buyers are very happy with their vehicles. I will go to my grave before I make a mistake a second time.

Once I had a tune-up and, while driving to work, a sparkplug blew out the hole. It was obvious that the service station had not properly torqued all the spark plugs. They refused to compensate me for the installation of a Heli-Coil to repair the damaged threads - they tried to tell me it was a defective sparkplug. I was a good customer of theirs before that. It has now been over 25 years since I was last there and I do not expect to go back.

I try to send a clear message that I am not going to be a fool a second time. I also tell everybody, that ask me, exactly what I think of these businesses that stole my money - they will never get my recommendation.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:50 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Plenty of people out there who use the old' the customer is always right' to justify their bad behavior or outrageous expectations and for those customers, we are generally happy to see them go. They can be a headache for someone else for a while (but in reality they usually come back sooner or later)

Old 01-16-2015, 07:12 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Plenty of people out there who use the old' the customer is always right' to justify their bad behavior or outrageous expectations and for those customers, we are generally happy to see them go. They can be a headache for someone else for a while (but in reality they usually come back sooner or later)
Yeah.
Jerky customers is a whole 'nudder issue.

We're talking about being treated crappily for no other reason.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:57 AM

614 posts, read 1,237,886 times
People seem to always say a store has bad customer service if they don't hear or get the resolution they want no matter what. That's what I've seen quite a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products