Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 03:42 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,725,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Jim,it is Sam's top competitor. Some sware they are superior to Sam's. We belonged to both when we lived in Texas, dropped Costco when we moved to NM. We didn't have the need for both and had belonged to Sam's longer. I really see very little differnce. I do think Costco stores are a little less cluttered and appear to be a little nicer, but price wise and quality wise they are the same.
If you ever buy meat you'd see the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 03:43 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,725,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
My Costco stopped carrying frozen scallops, another food item that I really miss!
Those seem to be hit or miss...they have them for a time...then stop...then get them again.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,023,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
If you ever buy meat you'd see the difference.
I happen to know quality meats: at least in our region, believe it or not, Sam's has very good meat. It isn't much difference in price than at the local markets, but it is about the same or better quality. Not to mention, who ever said, everything is better at one over the other? I simply was generalizing.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:36 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,833,019 times
I have never been to Costco but have a Sams membership...we go for the cases of V8 in the cans....such a better deal than stores, zip lock bags, frozen cod, cheese and whatever else we see...usually never get out of there under $300 but like others said, ours is also pretty far.....As meat goes, we love Sam's meat..just talking about this the other day with people.....I buy their $1.99 pork loins and we get about 4 meals out of one, just my husband and I....their steaks are really good...I wish it was closer..

The last time we went our car broke down with all our stuff in the back, it was like 85 degrees..had to walk on the interstate to buy a Styrofoam cooler at the gas station jam it in and ice and wait for a tow...5 hrs later we were home and our food was ok.....any longer we would have had to pitch the meat.....

The scallops.....The Sam's has them here in Knoxville all the time......but at $26.99lb we passed.....that's a hefty price.....

Old 06-29-2015, 07:49 AM

16,410 posts, read 30,371,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I happen to know quality meats: at least in our region, believe it or not, Sam's has very good meat. It isn't much difference in price than at the local markets, but it is about the same or better quality. Not to mention, who ever said, everything is better at one over the other? I simply was generalizing.

Agreed. I have been at both Costco and Sam's Club and both are generally carrying the same products from the same packing houses at similar prices. The ONLY exception is the USDA Prime beef that makes up perhaps 2-5% of Costco meats.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:53 AM

807 posts, read 1,036,989 times
-Milk is the best deal in the house. Still under $3/gallon.
-I find their meats and seafood very expensive, but the quality very good if you're willing to pay.
-Pistachio nuts are always a good deal.
-Kirkland plastic wrap is the best!
-Kirkland coffee is very good and the price is right.
-Our Costco stopped carrying Gabila's knishes. What a shame, love those knishes.
-Electronics come with double warranty, saved me when I purchases a plasma tv that died after 20 months. Would have been SOL if it wasn't for Costco's free extended warranty.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:17 PM

24,554 posts, read 26,111,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
I buy my husband the super sized Mach 3 refill razor cartridges at X mas and they last the whole year.
Me to.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:58 AM

35,328 posts, read 17,230,887 times
Milk, romaine, Vitamin D-3-2000, Jarlsberg and cheddar cheese.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,722 posts, read 81,625,646 times
We also dropped Sam’s Club because most items were the same, but Costco meat and produce was much better, and we have 2 in either direction 5 miles away. The nearest Sam’s was 20 miles away, and closed up in January.

At Costco we buy a lot of things, such as almost all of my clothes, toilet paper and paper towels, bread, tortillas, ground beef, sole, frozen battered cod, Mexican Blend cheese, ketchup, syrup, flour and sugar, and of course, the rotisserie chicken.

It’s really helpful to have a big upright freezer, and large pantry.

Old 07-07-2019, 09:41 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,321,484 times
toilet paper
paper towels
Kirkland laundry pods
dryer sheets
Kirkland K-cups
Pepperidge farm goldfish (individual packets)
kitchen trash bags
bottled purified water
Coke, but sometimes it's cheaper at the grocery store
ibuprofen
enteric coated aspirin
children's Claritin
Ziploc bags of varying sizes
paper plates
aluminum foil
Velveeta
V8
canned corn/green beans/black olives/Ro-Tel
pistachios
mixed nuts
beef jerky

I don't buy much perishable food there since it's just me and DH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products