Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 10:41 AM

19,776 posts, read 22,673,762 times

Advertisements

I have the Genesis E-330 equivalent, but my gas control knobs are located on the right upper shelf- which I detest. They are now front and center below the hood, which is where they should be.

You should be able to find one on sale somewhere within your range. I know they are spendy, but they do last and replacement parts are totally available. You can rebuild these things in an hour or two if you had too. I have not had to buy one replacement part for mine in 6 years. Not one. I just thoroughly cleaned it this past weekend, and the only concern I noted was a little warp on the lower casting, but it did not impact the grill at all.

It's really nice to be able to slide that catch pan out, clean it and slide it back in. So easy to maintain.

This is my first gas grill, and I've been grilling for over 30years. When we moved to Helena MT we decided to get a gas grill because we live in a forest transition zone outside of town, and we find ourselves in the midst of high fire danger risk (like now) during peak grilling season. Gas is easier to control than charcoal, and the wind can topple my Weber kettle when strong enough.

I still prefer my kettle over the Genesis (by far), but for simple grilling the Genesis is hard to beat. The seasoned iron grates and the flavor bars do work- there is no off taste with it. Temp control is very easy too, I can slow grill as low as 300 or high speed up to 500+.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 11:18 AM

698 posts, read 986,216 times
Weber Genesis. I have one that is now 21 years old. I rebuilt her once in 2008 (new grates, flavorizer bars and manifold). It's a well built grill that will give you years of enjoyment.

For those recommending ceramics, look at the Komodo Kamado, I've had one for about 7 years and it's the ultimate charcoal "grill".

Old 08-27-2015, 11:39 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,304,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
If you are going up to $800, why don't you just bite the bullet and get the Big Green Egg?

It has a lifetime guarantee. You'll never have to buy another grill ever again.

Being the elements that a Chicago Grill has to go through, it may be worth thinking about.

Otherwise, have you thought about getting someone to custom make you a grill?

Not sure about Chicago but this is very common in the south.
Last I checked GBE does not make a propane grill...

Old 08-27-2015, 11:42 AM

287 posts, read 327,140 times
There's another name for a propane grill- OVEN. Get a Weber Kettle Grill. You'll never regret it!

Old 08-27-2015, 11:50 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
Your proximity to salt water might have something to do with it .
I recommend that the next grill you install some zinc anodes like they use on boats, the zinc will eat away before the parent metal will.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:51 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times
I've had an MHP for well over a decade and have only had to replace the guts once.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:54 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I've owned a Weber Genesis for the past 6 and it's still going strong. Easy to maintain and clean, pretty effortless actually.
My Weber Genesis had the flavorizer bars rot away in 4 years and then the entire bottom shelf where propane sits completely ROT out in 5 years, I could not recommend a Weber grill as being of durable quality.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:58 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Your proximity to salt water might have something to do with it .
I recommend that the next grill you install some zinc anodes like they use on boats, the zinc will eat away before the parent metal will.
The OP says he's in Chicago.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:59 AM

19,776 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
My Weber Genesis had the flavorizer bars rot away in 4 years and then the entire bottom shelf where propane sits completely ROT out in 5 years, I could not recommend a Weber grill as being of durable quality.
Hope you took advantage of the Weber warranty-

Weber.com - Support - Help - Warranties

Quote:
Weber® Summit®, Genesis® and Spirit® SeriesWarranties

Cookbox10 years, no rust through/burn through (2 years on paint excludes fading or discoloration)

Lid Assembly10 years, no rust through/burn through (2 years on paint excludes fading or discoloration)

Stainless steel burner tubes10 years, no rust through/burn throughStainless steel cooking grates5 years, no rust through/burn through

Stainless steel flavorizer bars 5 years, no rust through/burn throughPorcelain-enameled cast iron cooking grates5 years, no rust through/burn through

All remaining parts 2 years
I had my fiirst Weber full size kettle when I was 19 years old and on my own. I used it all the time. It lasted me over 20 years. My replacement is now 8-9 years old. I bought a Weber smoker 2 years ago, and that unit is simply amazing as well.

You must've got a dud, cause evertything I've owned from Weber has been simply amazing.

Mmmmm... Marinated and rotisserie bird on the weber...

Last edited by Threerun; 08-27-2015 at 12:16 PM..

Old 08-27-2015, 12:34 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
[quote=Threerun;40983131]Hope you took advantage of the Weber warranty-

Weber.com - Support - Help - Warranties

None of the rusted / rotted frame was covered after 2 years and if the frame goes away what remains under warranty is not of any consequence as grill will already be disposed of! Frame components are not made of good quality steel, and therefore have the weakest part of the warranty coverage. The former Weber quality is no longer there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products