Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 09:40 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times

Advertisements

Does anybody else suffer from looking yourself up and finding out that you don't live at you're own address? We have been getting junk mail for years addressed to another individual/s. One is our next door neighbor and one is an individual that lives about ten miles away. According to 'whitepages' these individuals live at our address - even though we have lived here for forty years. We are also aware of the people that built our house and lived at this address for the five years before we bought.

I just want to know if anybody else has this problem? I think all of this mail we have received is junk mail. We have complained to the Post Office and they told us to just throw the mail away. But we don't like the idea that somebody else just uses our address. If the PO accepts the fact that somebody else lives at our address; would they also turn over our mail to the other individuals?

Whitepages sounds as if it is part of the problem. They do not accept phone calls if you try to correct any problem. They also have this line about how busy they are and cannot respond to your (our) complaints. If you just Google their name you get: "Whitepages is the largest and most trusted online directory with contact information for over 90% of US adults."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 06:50 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,827,945 times
Yea local phone company phone books were always a problem for disclosing #s!!!!!

One time in the 80s I remembered reading a GUY was so mad @ the phone company he had this some mean entry in the phone book..

I CANT BELIEVE THEY PUT IT IN!!!

I bet today they wouldnt!!

Old 10-21-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yea local phone company phone books were always a problem for disclosing #s!!!!!

One time in the 80s I remembered reading a GUY was so mad @ the phone company he had this some mean entry in the phone book..

I CANT BELIEVE THEY PUT IT IN!!!

I bet today they wouldnt!!
Thanks! It is hard to believe that "the largest and most trusted online directory" has two other individuals living at our address!

Old 10-21-2015, 07:02 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,011,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Does anybody else suffer from looking yourself up and finding out that you don't live at you're own address? We have been getting junk mail for years addressed to another individual/s. One is our next door neighbor and one is an individual that lives about ten miles away. According to 'whitepages' these individuals live at our address - even though we have lived here for forty years. We are also aware of the people that built our house and lived at this address for the five years before we bought.

I just want to know if anybody else has this problem? I think all of this mail we have received is junk mail. We have complained to the Post Office and they told us to just throw the mail away. But we don't like the idea that somebody else just uses our address. If the PO accepts the fact that somebody else lives at our address; would they also turn over our mail to the other individuals?

Whitepages sounds as if it is part of the problem. They do not accept phone calls if you try to correct any problem. They also have this line about how busy they are and cannot respond to your (our) complaints. If you just Google their name you get: "Whitepages is the largest and most trusted online directory with contact information for over 90% of US adults."
Suffer? No, getting other people's mail does not cause me any suffering. To me its the same as junk mail, and I just throw it all in the recycling.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:08 PM

61,650 posts, read 87,023,434 times
You can stop suffering by removing your listing:
https://support.whitepages.com/hc/en...om-Whitepages-

I stopped the junk mail madness by removing my outside mailbox, and renting a POBox instead. It costs a little, but is totally worth it. No junk mail anymore!!

Old 10-22-2015, 06:21 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
You can stop suffering by removing your listing:
https://support.whitepages.com/hc/en...om-Whitepages-

I stopped the junk mail madness by removing my outside mailbox, and renting a POBox instead. It costs a little, but is totally worth it. No junk mail anymore!!
And this does work, I saw my personal information on White Pages and submitted the request to have it removed, and it was.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
And this does work, I saw my personal information on White Pages and submitted the request to have it removed, and it was.
It might work; but how do I remove somebody's information from my address? There are at least two different individuals that have my address listed as theirs. Sure I can remove our names from our address; but that will not stop one of the paying or subscribing 'members' from using our address. As far as the internet; we are already not living at our own address - even though we have lived here for almost forty years.

Yes we could get the PO box at the PO. But there is something about loosing our identity to others for whatever reason. I called the one individual and they stated that it was the fault of the PO. We suspect that might not be the case. Some people have said for us to file a change of address form at the PO - but, again, we are not the individuals filling for the change of address.

We have all heard of the police breaking down the door of the wrong address. We do not want to be in that position. Or do we want to have somebody coming to us for money owed by another party - they do not live here; we do. We just find it frustrating that 'Whitepages' has no easy contact to remove this inaccurate information - one good (active) phone number could solve this problem. In the meantime we are waiting for an official response from the company by e-mail.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:44 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,065 times
Quote:
It might work; but how do I remove somebody's information from my address? There are at least two different individuals that have my address listed as theirs. Sure I can remove our names from our address; but that will not stop one of the paying or subscribing 'members' from using our address. As far as the internet; we are already not living at our own address - even though we have lived here for almost forty years.

Yes we could get the PO box at the PO. But there is something about loosing our identity to others for whatever reason. I called the one individual and they stated that it was the fault of the PO. We suspect that might not be the case. Some people have said for us to file a change of address form at the PO - but, again, we are not the individuals filling for the change of address.

We have all heard of the police breaking down the door of the wrong address. We do not want to be in that position. Or do we want to have somebody coming to us for money owed by another party - they do not live here; we do. We just find it frustrating that 'Whitepages' has no easy contact to remove this inaccurate information - one good (active) phone number could solve this problem. In the meantime we are waiting for an official response from the company by e-mail.
If I recall correctly, when I submitted my request to WP to remove my address, there was an option to remove anyone dissociated with me at the same time.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
If I recall correctly, when I submitted my request to WP to remove my address, there was an option to remove anyone dissociated with me at the same time.
So you can remove these other individuals and keep your own address?

Old 10-22-2015, 05:21 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,011,460 times
Quote:
We have all heard of the police breaking down the door of the wrong address. We do not want to be in that position
The police use the white pages?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products