Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2015, 12:55 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,572,418 times

Advertisements

We moved to a new neighborhood last year. Last Christmas, two of our neighbors gave us gifts, which was a nice surprise, as we didn't (and still don't) really know them. One gave us baked goods (which I sent to work with my husband) and the other some homemade Christmas-y potpourri.
I threw some brownies together, packaged them nicely, and gave them those in return.

I'd like to be more prepared this year, in case it happens again.
What are some nice, non-food gifts to give families with young kids?
I don't want to give baked goods again.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 02:40 AM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
We moved to a new neighborhood last year. Last Christmas, two of our neighbors gave us gifts, which was a nice surprise, as we didn't (and still don't) really know them. One gave us baked goods (which I sent to work with my husband) and the other some homemade Christmas-y potpourri.
I threw some brownies together, packaged them nicely, and gave them those in return.

Thanks.

Board games
Jigsaw puzzles
Movie passes
Christmas ornaments

Old 11-23-2015, 02:47 AM

61,726 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Anything that will bring them together. Also depends on your budget:
season passes (zoo, museum, aquarium, amusement park, movie theater, etc), jigsaw puzzles/ trivia games designed for families, gift certificate to a book store or photo website, photo frames, a portrait session with a photographer, DVD with family friendly movies, gaming system like Wii, Xbox or Play Station, lawn games like lawn darts, croquet, badminton...
You can donate your time ( like offer # of nights you are willing to baby-sit the kids), or a "date" afternoon with each child or both (doing something fun)...

More ideas here:
Gifts the Whole Family Will Enjoy

Old 11-23-2015, 11:14 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Board games
Jigsaw puzzles
Movie passes
Christmas ornaments
I'd be cautious on the Christmas ornament unless you know if they have a 'theme' tree and what it is. Some people can be pretty obsessive with their themes.
Personally I love food type gifts, though they needn't be baked goods. Fancy soup mixes or mulling spices or an assorment of teas, hot chocolates, or fancy candies from the candy 'shoppe' -> http://www.laurelwoodmemphis.com/ass...choc_house.jpg

Old 11-23-2015, 05:24 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
We gave gift cards to the local very popular steakhouse, neighbors couldn't thank us enough.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:21 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
some good jam or jelly or maple syrup from vermont also I love the really good honey.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:23 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,035,544 times
Buy a bunch of flashlights on line and keep the nice ones for yourself. Give the rest away as gifts.

Old 11-24-2015, 12:52 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Hmm...how about a couple of bottles of some nice wine, whiskey etc along with anything else you give. That would make me very happy.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:23 AM

94 posts, read 160,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post

Thanks.
Hey, According to me you could Give them the gift that keeps on giving, hour after hour something like Christmas tree or Wall clock, Toothpaste Tube Wringer, ressure Cooker/Slow Cooker, Staple-less Staplers or Any Electronic appliance that could be used in routine life, Electronic Gift might be costly, but you could get them from Black Friday or Cyber Monday else you could get discount code for your desired shopping, it may make your gift shopping very cheap rate.

Last edited by selina_miller; 12-01-2015 at 02:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products