Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 05:14 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laresistance View Post
They always give you weird looks. And they look super self-conscious, awkward and unsure of themselves. They don't know where they're going.
I've only been a couple of times. When I saw the prices, I didn't go back, even though at the time I had a good income & could technically afford it (but NO ONE can afford to waste money, IMO).

All I noticed was ordinary people iwth their carts filled to the brim. I wondered what those people did for a living to be able to afford to shop there, or if they had similar income to mine but didn't realize they were spending too much $ on groceries. I didn't get any weird looks, though.

Oh, and I caught the meat guy labeling the raw chicken wrong. I bought the chicken at a good sale price. He had to get it, wrap it and label it. After I took it and put it in my cart and went on my way, I checked it and saw he had labeled it with the full non-sale price. I took it back to get the sale price. He seemed embarrassed. This was years ago (I never went back). I read recently that Whole Foods has been under investigation for pricing things higher than they were supposed to. Which leads me to believe what they did was intentional, but most people don't double check the price they slap on it.

I've been getting things on sale for decades. It's very rare for a store worker to mislabel and put the regular price on it, when most of hte people getting that item that day are surely asking for the sales price. Whole Foods is not for me. Neither is Central Market, another place that's too pricey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 07:07 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Maybe they find it odd that you're so preoccupied with them rather than your shopping?

Old 02-07-2016, 08:10 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,528,145 times
I was going to pick up on the OP's disdain for Whole Foods and their clientele, but after some thought................ If you think about it, a lot of businesses cater to a particular demographic, if you're not part of that demographic you will probably be uncomfortable patronizing that business. Upper income, affluent, health conscious, millennial, is the demographic of Whole Foods, that's not me and I'm uncomfortable in the couple of times I've been in there. Whole Foods does a pretty good business I guess, they have a chain of stores and loyal customers, it's a successful business in a free country, go there or not. God Bless America.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:13 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
I was going to pick up on the OP's disdain for Whole Foods and their clientele, but after some thought................ If you think about it, a lot of businesses cater to a particular demographic, if you're not part of that demographic you will probably be uncomfortable patronizing that business. Upper income, affluent, health conscious, millennial, is the demographic of Whole Foods, that's not me and I'm uncomfortable in the couple of times I've been in there. Whole Foods does a pretty good business I guess, they have a chain of stores and loyal customers, it's a successful business in a free country, go there or not. God Bless America.
Can we leave the god thing out of the discussion and leave it over in the religious forums please?

Old 02-07-2016, 11:54 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,440,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laresistance View Post
They always give you weird looks. And they look super self-conscious, awkward and unsure of themselves. They don't know where they're going.
If you are in Whole Foods frequently enough to notice how "all" the shoppers are there, you too are a Whole Foods shopper. So I guess you're just as weird, huh?

Old 02-08-2016, 02:01 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
That's the "looking around" part of the OP's statement. It's not nervousness as much as it is "Gosh, I hope I run into someone I know, because I can brag about how much I shop/spend here." They will buy 1-2 items they actually need, but if they run into a person they want to impress, they will start loading all kinds of overpriced stuff into their cart in an effort to impress others and make them think they actually like that kale and quinoa-type fad food. Conspicuous consumption is alive and well at living on aisle 5.

....and of course this epic article from a few years ago helps things along (if you can get past the language)

https://thsppl.com/americas-angriest...9be#.fqz7oa405
That was funny as hell, thanks for posting it. The guy who wrote the article is a talented writer; I have to wonder if he made up his central incident just for the comedic effect but in any case it was a barrel of laughs.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:18 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,528,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Can we leave the god thing out of the discussion and leave it over in the religious forums please?
Chill out

Old 02-08-2016, 07:13 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,464,213 times
I only go to Whole Foods for a short list of items- their brand of Ginger Ale is awesome and they're the only store in Georgia that sells the kind of yogurt that I love. Their store-brand cereals are also my favorite. I spend about $30 at most when I go. Then I do my actual shopping at Publix or Kroger.

My cousin, who lives in the L.A. suburb of Woodland Hills, does all of her food shopping (or grocery shopping, as we say here in the South) at Whole Foods. With three teenage kids, she spends $400-$600 per week!!! That would pay my mortgage AND grocery bill!

Old 02-08-2016, 07:18 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,464,213 times
As an addendum to my previous post....

Regardless of their prices, I do admire their commitment to selling only foods that meet their high standards. They have an "Unacceptable Ingredients" list that disqualifies foods that most of us would think were genuinely healthy.

Their stores are also super-clean, which is always important to me in a store where I'm buying my food!

Old 02-08-2016, 08:03 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,111,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
The female shoppers in the Whole Foods by me provide good scenery while shopping.
Quoted for truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products