Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 11:44 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Want to bash something? Bash this; why is it my pack of boneless chicken breasts from Walmart at 3.99/lbs when boiled, has all this yellow foam floating up on top when the ones from whole foods at 5.99/lbs does not?
Higher fat content, not trimmed as well.

Quote:
Why is it when I bake the chicken, the Walmart ones lose about 25% of its weight while the Whole Foods ones lose about 10% of its weight? Why is it on the boneless chicken thighs from Walmart at 2.99/lbs, I am removing a ton of fat and still lose weight from cooking, while the ones from Whole Foods at 3.99/lbs has hardly any fat or loss of weight?
Pay attention to the labels on the WallyWorld stuff- I've noticed that some of them say "contains up to xx%" of a 'solution'- mostly (I presume) a solution of water and salt or something like that, unless you're getting the higher priced name brand stuff (maybe those too, but I can't recall at the moment).

Quote:
Why can I buy blueberries at Walmart and I better eat them within two days or they start to go bad, while ones from Whole Foods always without fail last much, much longer (add bananas and every other fruit and most veggies)
I rarely buy produce from WM unless I plan on using it immediately. I too have noticed that it goes bad sooner than stuff from a regular frocery store, in some cases, *very* quickly.

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that their buyers are bidding on lower quality, bottom-of-the-barrel stuff that's on its last legs when they get it, the stuff the more expensive stores have passed on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 11:53 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

Younger women who have too much silicon implanted.
What? Are they Borg??

Old 02-08-2016, 12:09 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
What? Are they Borg??

Well, most of them are connected to the Collective while they're shopping. Which is also true at Safeway.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:27 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
I think the atmosphere depends very much on the Whole Foods you go to. The one in Princeton, NJ tended to have a very mixed crowd as it is close to some lower-income housing and they made a strong effort to cater to different ethnicities. The prices were not terrible if you knew how to shop. I'd go out of my way to shop there.

The stores I've been to in Colorado are significantly less a mix of incomes. The one in the Cherry Creek area is freakin' terrifying - I felt underdressed in a t-shirt and jeans. And yeah, it's way pricier.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:30 PM

781 posts, read 744,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The nearest Whole Foods to me is in Annapolis.

The customers there tend to fall into two categories:

Middle aged and older women who have seen the Botox needle too often.

Younger women who have too much silicon implanted.
You have just described the women who shop at Whole Foods in the affluent sections of LA!

Old 02-08-2016, 04:12 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
I shop at Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Aldi, Big Lots, produce markets, butcher shops ... and traditional grocery stores. I buy different items at all of them.

What kind of stereotype does that suggest? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
When someone acts a bit holier than thou, it's fun to note their location at a shelf, go into the aisle next to it, and at the precise moment when they're reaching for the product -push a few boxes off the shelf and have them fall at their feet. *useful at the library as well. Hey, I lead a boring life!
How mature of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Are Trader Joe's shoppers weird too? What about shoppers at Aldi?
There was a woman at Aldi today who was on my last nerve! Everywhere I turned, there she was, between me and what I wanted to pick off the shelf.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:55 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Those of you who complain about Whole Foods' prices ought to visit Draeger's. LOL!

They have four locations, all in upscale neighborhoods: San Mateo, Menlo Park, Danville, and Los Altos.

Here's a pic of one:

Old 02-08-2016, 07:00 PM

3,842 posts, read 1,788,855 times
Never noticed what your saying OP. Whole foods offers good quality meats, produce and dairy. Their 365 store brand products are comparable to other grocery stores.

Although one time driving thru St. Louis (Whole Foods) a lady almost hit me in the parking lot and didn't care. I casually mentioned that to the customer service and he said it's common and quite a complaint, never happened at any other location.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:14 PM

84 posts, read 79,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Those of you who complain about Whole Foods' prices ought to visit Draeger's. LOL!

They have four locations, all in upscale neighborhoods: San Mateo, Menlo Park, Danville, and Los Altos.
That's what I was thinking too. Dragger's makes Whole Foods look like a run down Safeway in a bad neighborhood.

OP's Whole Foods experience is nothing like what I've experienced here in Northern California. The suburb that I live in is ethnically diverse, middle class, and the Whole Foods is two blocks from a train station. So, you see all sorts of people shopping there, and no one walks around looking confused or nervous. It also most definitely isn't a status symbol. In Silicon Valley if you want to flaunt your wealth, you buy a Tesla Roadster. Your choice of grocery store isn't even on anyone's radar.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:58 PM

743 posts, read 766,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laresistance View Post
You nailed it on the paranoia. They keep looking around and like behind their shoulders and they look SCARED.
Many of them are so skinny and sickly looking that I feel like a giant amongst them (I'm 5'10, 200#) ... They're so worried about "this and that" in their food, but then I see them outside smoking brown cigarettes.
I do love Whole Foods whole milk in the glass bottle, though. Best I ever had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products