Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2021, 05:05 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,169,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
^^ crazy……But if she could afford it I suppose it’s her business how she spends her money. The likelihood is however that she should not have been spending all that money with QVC or on anything with any retailer for that matter.
From what I knew we contacted her bank because we thought it was fraud and they basically said she's good for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2021, 07:37 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,118,283 times
^^I hope she was happy.

Old 06-20-2021, 04:58 AM

417 posts, read 454,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Music Girl View Post
It's ok to watch for a minute. I like to get fashion ideas, then go out shopping to a store with something in mind from one of the shopping shows.

Denim & Company has a lot of great basic tops, however, they're just too expensive. It use to be Macy's was the place to buy cute basic tops, now it's Kohl's.

Usually have to turn on mute when they show Denim & Company just cannot listen to the guy for the company talk about women's clothing. Ugh
Yes, I just think the prices are out of line. For the basics, they are usually not crazy high, but they are at the top of what I might spend for something special but their items are usually not something special. I get it that the material (lol or "fabrication" in the shopping channel lingo) might be a better weight but often it's not. I am a devout Kohl's-TJMaxx-Ross shopper. I am even seeing a lot of people shopping amazon for clothing ( I am still a bit hesitant only because sizing is such a wild card for me) and at least a fair amount of it is slightly different stuff.

Old 06-20-2021, 07:24 AM

I'm a Walmart, Marshall's, TJ Maxx, Ross person, in that order....OR Thrift Shop, Walmart, (Home Goods), Marshall's, TJ Maxx, Ross person. Depending on what I need, of course.

The older I get the less I dress up or care what I wear. As for clothing, I have enough to open my own store.

Actually for most things, appliances, clothing, tools....I'm pretty much set. And have something in duplicate and TRIPLICATE. I have about 6 hammers! And countless screwdrivers. And enough food storage containers and tote bags to last LONGER than a lifetime.

So not only are the home shopping prices more than I'd pay for an item, I don't need much, and I'm purging some of what I DO have.

IF I need a towel set, which I don't, I'd run to Walmart and just get its top of the line towels which are actually quite soft and fluffy.

I find Walmart items are quite good most of the time...depends on what I'm looking for. Some things I'm looking for THE cheapest thing I can get. Other times, I'll get the highest quality it has, which more than suffices.

So between that shopping philosophy and QVCs high prices. I rarely buy from QVC/HSN. Let's see?.....a $125 automatic trash can from QVC....or a $15 trash can from Walmart. It's a frigging trash can! I don't need it to open every time I walk by or have a sensor to tell me when to change the bag. All it needs to do is hold trash! Or a $300 hair dryer from QVC or a $30 hair dryer from Walmart....or a $150 magnifying mirror from QVC or a $10 one from Walmart. It's a mirror all I need it to do is stand up and...magnify!

OK. Off my soapbox now.

Old 06-23-2021, 04:34 PM

Today is Wednesday. A always like to watch QV on Wednesday's when it's focused on food!

Intrestingly enough, I'm not crazy about HSN's food shows, not nearly as much.

I watch Curtis Stone....because he's a MASTER salesman. I mean he can be talking about pots and pans and through in a side pitch for his steaks or counter tops accessories like no one I've ever seen. He doesn't even need a "host." (I'd never suggest HSN let him go it alone, though. Because the host does break up the hard sell, and give the viewer another person to see and hear. I LOVE how he and the hosts each do their thing. And, of course, IF his cookware is as good as they and callers say...then it really IS good.

HSN's kitchen gadgets, for me, aren't as Impressive?) as QVC's. QVC has the food and kitchen segment down.

The one area where Qurate has let HSN stay dominant is in crafting and vitamins. And THAT I do like.

Other than those two I can't think, off the top of my head, of a sales category where HSN reigns supreme.
I'd say they're even in home tools, home improvement. QVC might have a slight edge in jewelry and women's apparel. Oh, HSN does have the better NFL apparel. QVC is and also-ran in that department.

HSN every. once. in. a. while. will have a men's jewelry item or near the holidays mean's watches.
I really do wish they'd offer more men's items. Women are the primary audience sure. AND they're who buys most mens' gifts and other items. Oh well.....

Old 06-23-2021, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Today is Wednesday. A always like to watch QV on Wednesday's when it's focused on food!

Intrestingly enough, I'm not crazy about HSN's food shows, not nearly as much.

I watch Curtis Stone....because he's a MASTER salesman. I mean he can be talking about pots and pans and through in a side pitch for his steaks or counter tops accessories like no one I've ever seen. He doesn't even need a "host." (I'd never suggest HSN let him go it alone, though. Because the host does break up the hard sell, and give the viewer another person to see and hear. I LOVE how he and the hosts each do their thing. And, of course, IF his cookware is as good as they and callers say...then it really IS good.

HSN's kitchen gadgets, for me, aren't as Impressive?) as QVC's. QVC has the food and kitchen segment down.

The one area where Qurate has let HSN stay dominant is in crafting and vitamins. And THAT I do like.

Other than those two I can't think, off the top of my head, of a sales category where HSN reigns supreme.
I'd say they're even in home tools, home improvement. QVC might have a slight edge in jewelry and women's apparel. Oh, HSN does have the better NFL apparel. QVC is and also-ran in that department.

HSN every. once. in. a. while. will have a men's jewelry item or near the holidays mean's watches.
I really do wish they'd offer more men's items. Women are the primary audience sure. AND they're who buys most mens' gifts and other items. Oh well.....
I know when I was at QVC I asked about mens products repeatedly. From what I was told, whenever they have tried it, they didn't do that well.

Old 06-23-2021, 07:28 PM

I suppose I get it. Not every store sells everything for every market segment either.

And I guess if you could sell 500 women's tops -- vs 100 men's watches -- which would you sell? Depending on markup.profit, of course.

But even at a certain "tipping point" the mark-up would have to be humongous, to make up for lesser volume. And if the item you sell more of has the higher markup, well, that's a no-brainer.

Old 06-23-2021, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I suppose I get it. Not every store sells everything for every market segment either.

And I guess if you could sell 500 women's tops -- vs 100 men's watches -- which would you sell? Depending on markup.profit, of course.

But even at a certain "tipping point" the mark-up would have to be humongous, to make up for lesser volume. And if the item you sell more of has the higher markup, well, that's a no-brainer.
They measure everything on air by sales $ per minute. If it doesn't make enough, its axed

Old 06-26-2021, 06:40 AM

Have you seen the on air rep for the Bumble & Bumble hair products?
I don't know whether it was a man or a woman.
Name was Randy. Deep voice. Long hair and face made up like a woman.

I have no other words.

Old 06-26-2021, 10:02 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,414,855 times
I must have missed that so I googled and I could not find anything. Hoping someone can link it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products