Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2021, 01:09 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,118,283 times

Advertisements

On this morning with Leah - Bumble and bumble. 4-Piece Favorites Discovery Kit

https://www.qvc.com/Bumble-and-bumbl...H&qq=mh&TZ=EST

Oh, do the folks at Qurate not know it's June, not July yet?

They've started their Christmas in July schtick already. Ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2021, 04:13 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,414,855 times
thank you for linking it. I just watched a bit and I was trying to catch the full name or how the presenter (they??) were introduced but it kept spinning. Anyway my opinion is that is a male.

Old 06-27-2021, 08:42 AM

Ultimately, yes, I'd agree.

Old 07-05-2021, 07:35 PM

Sad news....(And maybe I'm late to this news)...has anyone seen or heard that former QVC host Antonella Nester has cancer...and pretty bad?

Old 07-06-2021, 12:13 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,169,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Sad news....(And maybe I'm late to this news)...has anyone seen or heard that former QVC host Antonella Nester has cancer...and pretty bad?
I did hear that.. She was laid off last year the same day I was, which was unfortunate. I met her a few times (and ate dinner with her once at an event) and she was super nice and down to earth.

Old 07-06-2021, 03:05 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
My mother loved QVC. She ordered from them too, too often. We found so many things in her condo when we had to move her to an ALF. I think most of her clothes came from QVC. I am also sure that she bought stuff, stored it away and forgot she had bought it.

She bought several pieces of Polish pottery and I have two of those. I also have an wool Irish afghan she bought for me years ago from QVC.

I’ve tuned in from time to time, but I never seem to see things I want to buy. And I find the hard sell people just too much after only a few minutes.

For shoes in larger sizes, Zappos works well, and ordering and returns are free and extremely easy.

I suspect online commerce has stolen much of QVC’s customer base.

Old 07-08-2021, 04:14 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,963,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
...As for clothing, I have enough to open my own store.

Actually for most things, appliances, clothing, tools....I'm pretty much set. And have something in duplicate and TRIPLICATE. I have about 6 hammers! And countless screwdrivers. And enough food storage containers and tote bags to last LONGER than a lifetime.

So not only are the home shopping prices more than I'd pay for an item, I don't need much, and I'm purging some of what I DO have.

IF I need a towel set, which I don't, I'd run to Walmart and just get its top of the line towels which are actually quite soft and fluffy.

I find Walmart items are quite good most of the time...depends on what I'm looking for. Some things I'm looking for THE cheapest thing I can get. Other times, I'll get the highest quality it has, which more than suffices.

So between that shopping philosophy and QVCs high prices. I rarely buy from QVC/HSN. Let's see?.....a $125 automatic trash can from QVC....or a $15 trash can from Walmart. It's a frigging trash can! I don't need it to open every time I walk by or have a sensor to tell me when to change the bag. All it needs to do is hold trash! Or a $300 hair dryer from QVC or a $30 hair dryer from Walmart....or a $150 magnifying mirror from QVC or a $10 one from Walmart. It's a mirror all I need it to do is stand up and...magnify!

OK. Off my soapbox now.

I definintely have enough clothes to open my own store too! Do you were most of your clothing these days still? I don't mainly due to not being that size anymore & not having to wear that attire for work. Then, I have a certain amount that needed to be dry cleaned. I haven't taken clothing to the cleaners in years now.

Old 07-10-2021, 05:55 AM

My work clothes, I do wear all of them.
I can go four months and not repeat a single piece.

My casual/weekend clothes, I do NOT wear them all.
Wear/rotate only two pants (pull-on knit elastic waistband), and about four T-shirts out of 20 various pants and about 75 tops.

The plan is to do a severe cull once I retire and don't need so many biz casual outfits. Not that I need that many now. But I have trouble deciding what to let go off. I DO wear them all, and like them all. I envision a friend coming over and just keeping me company and kicking me in the butt to get rid of stuff! Just having the company will help it be fun.

As for home shopping, I see very few clothes I happen to like. And NONE I'd pay those prices for anyway. I've been most tempted by a Susan Grave or Louis del Olio top or slacks here and there. Mostly I liked the print, but just couldn't pull the plug on a $60 blouse, when I can get 3 for that price, that look just as good....from Marshalls or TJ Maxx.

Besides, my price point for something I don't need anyway is VERY low.
For example, I went to a thrift shop a couple of months ago.....I went in for a vase, but once in there somehow ended up in the clothing section which I had to pass through in the front to get to housewares in the back...I thought what the heck....just felt like spending money, and wanted some retail therapy, got 4 tops and 4 slacks for $35. THAT's my price point for things I don't need, $3-5 each. I felt like a got a great haul...all for $35!

(The clothing finds got me so excited -- I was literally at the cashier counter, when I realized I didn't even go look at housewares to get what I went in there for in the first place! I had to get out of line to go look...and found the PERFECT thing for a dollar!)

Last edited by selhars; 07-10-2021 at 06:06 AM..

Old 07-23-2021, 04:47 AM

417 posts, read 454,860 times
I just think it's harder and harder to find merchandise to present on air at an attractive enough price, and that present well on air. I used to see things on air that at least got my interest and I might research them (and still often ended up not purchasing from the shopping channel) but there is rarely anything I see that calls my name.
I watch it less and less but when I do, it's almost to see what lunacy will transpire.

Old 07-23-2021, 03:45 PM

All of my buying (if I do any purchasing at all) from TV these days is for wants/desires, and impulse things that peak a want or desire.

MOST of my buys from QVC/HSN over the decades have been like that. Mostly I'd buy food gifts for holiday time....Cheryls or David's cookies/coffee cake squares....Harry London or Giannos Chocolates, Landies Stuffed chocolate pretzels, etc.

But lately I just don't get as "excited" and it's partly because of the prices and partly because I'm getting tighter with my spending -- or just shifting my spending allocations. I'd rather spend $100 on sushi than on most things on QVC/HSN.

For example the QVC TSV as $35 for 150 pieces of Lindt Truffles. I thought -- oh that would be a great gift for a co-worker who puts chocolates on her office door for people to take if they'd like one. And I've taken a few so that would be a way to show I appreciate her putting candy out.

But then I also thought.....do I need to spend $35 on that...when I could go to the Dollar Store or Walmart and get plenty of candy that would be all varieties. Heck Halloween is coming up...I could wait until Walmart has those 100-pieces variety packs for about 10.00.....and AFTER Halloween they'd be even less. So why pay QVC/HSN prices. I don't need anything delivered that bad.

That last things I bought from QVC was kitchen utensil sets from $25 each -- wooden spurtles. I wanted them, they were cute and $25 or less.

That's my price point for things I don't even need and am buying "just because I saw it." And QVC doesn't have many things that are less than $25.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products