Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2021, 03:07 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,172,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
Looks like the feds are coming in.

Don't know if the headline of this local news site is using the word "arson" as clickbait or if someone knows something they're not sharing with the public as of yet.

https://www.wral.com/authorities-inv...-set/20046956/
From what I have heard through the grapevine a disgruntled employee set it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2021, 03:43 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,506,670 times
The one who died?

Old 12-22-2021, 03:55 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,880,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
The one who died?
He was a contractor who'd only been there for a couple weeks. (They staff up for the holidays as do many retailers)

He would have had to become disgruntled rather quickly.

Old 12-22-2021, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
The one who died?
No, he was a Temp, he was sleeping in a trailer from what I have heard.

That site has had a lot of issues.. Maybe 12 years ago they fired a ton of people at the end of the year for defrauding 401K hardship withdrawals.

Old 12-23-2021, 07:07 AM

417 posts, read 455,375 times
That is so sad. Bizarre and sad.

Old 12-23-2021, 10:34 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
My understanding is he was a temp worker.

From what I know, he was sleeping in a trailer. The trailer gets backed up to a door, he was loading the trailer for shipment and decided to "take a nap". There is no quick exit to outside from there.
He was in the dock area, right?
So I still don't get (if he was awake, and not dead of smoke in his sleep) why he wouldn't have been able to get out.

Where I've worked at places where there has been dock loading, you go out to the dock and half the time the outer dock gates are up anyway if there are any. Sometimes there are no dock gates only doors from the building into the loading dock which is always open to the outside.

(I'd go out to take trash to the dock and the outer gate was open and I could see the street or road. If I'd wanted to leave all I had to do was jump down, or walk down the side steps and walk out.)

And if they're not open anyway -- you're on the dock, just hit the button to open up the outer dock gates. And you're out.

Old 12-23-2021, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
He was in the dock area, right?
So I still don't get (if he was awake, and not dead of smoke in his sleep) why he wouldn't have been able to get out.

Where I've worked at places where there has been dock loading, you go out to the dock and half the time the outer dock gates are up anyway if there are any. Sometimes there are no dock gates only doors from the building into the loading dock which is always open to the outside.

(I'd go out to take trash to the dock and the outer gate was open and I could see the street or road. If I'd wanted to leave all I had to do was jump down, or walk down the side steps and walk out.)

And if they're not open anyway -- you're on the dock, just hit the button to open up the outer dock gates. And you're out.

I'm not sure how to explain this but it's not set up that way. This was a huge building with probably 50-100 outbound dock doors. If he was in A trailer it was backed up to a door. Doors are always down unless there is a trailer there.

Old 12-25-2021, 10:19 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times
Quote:
If he was in A trailer it was backed up to a door. Doors are always down unless there is a trailer there.
Do we know whether in was IN a trailer -- or in the dock area. Big difference.
IF he was in the trailer how did he get in there?

Clearly he would have gotten into the trailer somehow....so why not get out the same way he got in.....
UNLESS he died of smoke inhalation in his sleep.

1) If it's purely a cargo trailer with only a back cargo gate -- one that's backed up to the dock by a driver in a front cab.....and he was a warehouse worker...HOW did he get into the cargo trailer. I presume he wasn't a stowaway IN the trailer and wasn't in there when it was backed up against a closed dock door....so how'd he get in? And why couldn't he get out the same way he got in?

2) IF it was a cargo trailer with access to the truck cab....again why couldn't he get out through the truck cab.....UNLESS he died of smoke inhalation in his sleep.

3) If he got in through the buildings dock gate and the actual platform, then again why not get back out onto the platform from the trailer which was was at the platform.

But we don't even know IF he was IN a trailer, do we?

Old 12-25-2021, 11:47 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,880,361 times
Wow... some folks have been watching too many of those SVU type shows!!

Anyhow, according to the local media, here are two addresses where we can send cash donations for those put out of work by the fire.

The Rocky Mount Area Chamber of Commerce is accepting monetary donations for the QVC employees who are without a job as a result of the fire. Checks, made payable to The Community Development Foundation of Rocky Mount, can be mailed to:

Rocky Mount Area Chamber of Commerce,
100 Coastline St. #200,
Rocky Mount, NC 27804

I'm not a fan of the "United Way" (too much overhead) but they are also soliciting donations on-line and via mail. You can google them for the on-line link.

United Way Tar River Region
2501 Sunset Avenue
Rocky Mount, NC 27804

Old 12-25-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Do we know whether in was IN a trailer -- or in the dock area. Big difference.
IF he was in the trailer how did he get in there?

Clearly he would have gotten into the trailer somehow....so why not get out the same way he got in.....
UNLESS he died of smoke inhalation in his sleep.

1) If it's purely a cargo trailer with only a back cargo gate -- one that's backed up to the dock by a driver in a front cab.....and he was a warehouse worker...HOW did he get into the cargo trailer. I presume he wasn't a stowaway IN the trailer and wasn't in there when it was backed up against a closed dock door....so how'd he get in? And why couldn't he get out the same way he got in?

2) IF it was a cargo trailer with access to the truck cab....again why couldn't he get out through the truck cab.....UNLESS he died of smoke inhalation in his sleep.

3) If he got in through the buildings dock gate and the actual platform, then again why not get back out onto the platform from the trailer which was was at the platform.

But we don't even know IF he was IN a trailer, do we?
From what i know, he was sleeping in a trailer. He was working in the Outbound Shipping area where they load trailers. Their whole job entails being in a trailer. I've been inside of this actual building dozens of times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products