Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 08:42 AM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I've seen those gas stations. Those are not normal gas stations. They are usually run by shady people that bait people into coming to their station by offering really chap gas until you pull in and you see that rate is only if you pay cash. However, most intelligent people have credit cards that reward them far more than that in cash back or rewards.

Most people are wise and have a reward card. If you pay off your balance each month, there is no penalty to using a credit card and you get rewards each time you spend.
I agree with a few quibbles. For one the credit card penalty (I refuse to call it cash discount) in my area is about $0.10 but some stations don't have one and some it is a bit less. Most rewards programs pay 1% on purchases, with a quarter or two of the year giving a rotating 5% on gas. Costco pays 4% on gas and American Express Open pays 3% on gas. If gas is around $2 per gallon 3% - 5% swallows up the credit card penalty. I wouldn't call credit card penalties shady, at least in my area. Stations have to post the cash and credit card price with equal prominence though about 5% of stations don't do that.
[quote=azriverfan.;45463559]For example, if you spend a 100K in a year on your Southwest Airlines card, you get a free companion pass. So I put my business expenses on that and essentially my wife gets to fly free with me. Why on earth would I pay cash for something when there are rewards like this? [/qupte]I prefer my rewards in cash rebates. That is unless the tickets you get are easaily obtainable and for otherwise expensive flights. I used one in 2000 for a flight from NYC to Greenville, NC which would have cost around $500. Many flights though are far less expensive since they are to bigger markets.

Quote:
This is why cash is becoming obsolete. Everyone is trying to max out their reward points. Now things that were previously could not be paid with credit cards are now available to be paid with CC. The only people who I know that still value cash are the elderly due to their ignorance and irrational fear of credit cards.....oh yeah and mobsters too for obvious reasons
Cash is still good for petty transactions.
Quote:
It is for all the reasons you stated that our practice stopped accepting cash and we saw no loss of patients. We have not had one complaint about it because nearly everyone has a credit card these days.
Probably is a good idea, particularly if insurance is cheaper without accepting cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 08:48 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
There is another problem. A lot of tills come up short for the day, especially if the sales are small and lots of them. Some is because the clerks are hitting the tills when more than one use the till it is impossible to find out who is hitting the till. And a lot of clerks, give out too much change. A few short tills, and the profits for the day are gone.

In places like an ice cream store, the clerks are not the ones that can do numbers in their head, and always be right. By going to no cash, this problem goes away.
Why hasn't a place like McDonalds switched over to "no cash"?

Are you telling me that ice cream stores are hiring employees more ignorant than McDonalds ?

Old 09-13-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post

Are you telling me that ice cream stores are hiring employees more ignorant than McDonalds ?
Easier to monitor sales and cash shortages at a place like McDonalds.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:26 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post

Yes, they are. Many of them run on random high school girls being paid sub-minimum wage under the table, usually with no management present. Of course, this isn't the case for year-round ice cream shops, just the seasonal ice cream 'stands'.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:41 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,668,069 times
Quote:
I've seen those gas stations. Those are not normal gas stations. They are usually run by shady people that bait people into coming to their station by offering really chap gas until you pull in and you see that rate is only if you pay cash. However, most intelligent people have credit cards that reward them far more than that in cash back or rewards.

Most people are wise and have a reward card. If you pay off your balance each month, there is no penalty to using a credit card and you get rewards each time you spend. For example, if you spend a 100K in a year on your Southwest Airlines card, you get a free companion pass. So I put my business expenses on that and essentially my wife gets to fly free with me. Why on earth would I pay cash for something when there are rewards like this?

This is why cash is becoming obsolete. Everyone is trying to max out their reward points. Now things that were previously could not be paid with credit cards are now available to be paid with CC. The only people who I know that still value cash are the elderly due to their ignorance and irrational fear of credit cards.....oh yeah and mobsters too for obvious reasons

It is for all the reasons you stated that our practice stopped accepting cash and we saw no loss of patients. We have not had one complaint about it because nearly everyone has a credit card these days.
I agree that cash acceptance requires more effort but it does not mean that CC is the answer for everyone. As a physician you know that insurance payments are fixed and every penny that you pay to the CC is not recouped from higher charges, unlike Walmart or Macy's. For a $30 copay the sum is not much but for a $2500 drug infused and added to deductible the 3-4 % is significant, especially with the ASP ( average selling price) model of payment where insurances pay the exact amount of purchase cost of the drug.

I run a similar business and we accept cash and checks but for credit cards we charge 3.5 % extra to cover our transaction costs. After the class action suit settlement, Visa and MasterCard allow it but not Amex. Hence we don't accept Amex. If a customer bounces a check once they have only cash or CC option the next time. Thus customers have a choice but can choose to pay for the rewards themselves if they want to use the card. Or they can save money and pay cash or check. About 20-30 % pay by CC, especially if the amount is under $150.

Old 09-13-2016, 12:15 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,708,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
The store doesn't put up signs saying something like they don't accept bills equal or greater to $50?
Good point. I would also add that if a business doesn't accept any cash at all, they should post signs stating this, so the public will know.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:50 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,709,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
An ice cream store in my area doesn't take cash. The owner said everyone uses debit or credit cards and he's afraid that cash could be "counterfeit", so he doesn't take it. Has anyone else heard of this?
anyone not taking one form of payment over the other has something to hide imo.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
I've listed all kinds of good reasons not to:
  1. Lower need to vet employees or bond them;
  2. Insurance; and
  3. Safety from robbery.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:40 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
What--exactly--is Costco trying to hide as a result of their policy of not accepting cash at their gas stations?

Old 09-13-2016, 07:34 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,668,069 times
Quote:
By taking CC only and not cash it is in fact the reverse; he has nowhere to hide since all transactions are recorded electronically. He cannot stash it away like cash
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products