Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 04:17 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,345,087 times

Advertisements

About three weeks ago, I used the local branch of a nationally-known carpet cleaning service. They came, they cleaned, they did a great job. I wrote a check and gave it to the technician amd received a receipt. So far, so good.

The problem is that the check I gave them has not yet been cashed. I called twice to notify the company, and was told that their manager "was at a conference but would look into this and get back to me." I told the woman that I had no complaint, I just wanted them to cash the check so I could balance my checkbook. Again, she rold me that she would contact the manager.

Okay. Whatever. It's now been three weeks since I wrote the check, and one week since I last called the company.

It seems like they don't want my money. What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 04:28 PM

8,074 posts, read 4,752,350 times
I'd go ahead and reconcile your checking account (that is, pretend it has cleared and edit the balance to reflect the check's amount). Then, whenever they process the check (at their convenience, apparently) you won't end up bouncing a check or something. If, for some odd reason they don't cash it, you'll just have a slightly higher balance than what your checkbook says, which isn't a bad thing. Much better than being left with insufficient funds when/if the check clears! I think they have 180 days to send it through, though that time period might be different in some states. My guess is their office manager might be disorganized, or maybe someone got fired and they're playing catch-up. Who knows?

Old 10-27-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
I'd go ahead and reconcile your checking account (that is, pretend it has cleared and edit the balance to reflect the check's amount). Then, whenever they process the check (at their convenience, apparently) you won't end up bouncing a check or something. If, for some odd reason they don't cash it, you'll just have a slightly higher balance than what your checkbook says, which isn't a bad thing. Much better than being left with insufficient funds when/if the check clears! I think they have 180 days to send it through, though that time period might be different in some states. My guess is their office manager might be disorganized, or maybe someone got fired and they're playing catch-up. Who knows?
Well, of course. I realize that I can continue to balance by simply subtracting the check amount each time. My question is, how long should I have entertain this PITA? What is the time limit before a customer just says the hell with it and stops payment on the check?

Old 10-27-2016, 05:48 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,810,346 times
They don't HAVE to cash your check w/i a time period you have in you mind. Checks are good for 6 mos. or 1 yr. Why is it a pain? just subtract it when you write it - poof - it's gone - you won't have insufficient funds unless you overspend.

Old 10-27-2016, 05:55 PM

61,768 posts, read 87,244,588 times
You probably need to deal with it for as long as it takes. Usually, checks that are more than six months old are considered "stale dated", but the check you wrote is valid as long as your Checking Account information remains the same. If you ​write the check and it becomes stale dated, in some cases these may still be negotiated by​ the Bank. Also make sure that the check is covered at all times - the instance your check is deposited by the payee and the funds are no​t available, the deposited check could be returned and fees may apply.

I would not subtract the check amount each time I balance my checkbook. I would "consider it paid" till is actually cashed, and keep an eye on the bank statements.

Placing a stop payment on that check could make things even worse.
https://consumerist.com/2011/12/06/b...-check-anyway/

Old 10-27-2016, 06:06 PM

9,991 posts, read 5,695,637 times
What grounds would you have to put stop-payment on a check written for goods and services rendered? The fact that it hasn't been cashed in your preferred time frame certainly aren't, unless you want to end up in court.

I don't get why it would bother someone to sit on what amounts to an interest-free loan. Write it off against your available balance and go on with your life as if the money is gone because for all intents and purposes it is.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
What grounds would you have to put stop-payment on a check written for goods and services rendered? The fact that it hasn't been cashed in your preferred time frame certainly aren't, unless you want to end up in court.

I don't get why it would bother someone to sit on what amounts to an interest-free loan. Write it off against your available balance and go on with your life as if the money is gone because for all intents and purposes it is.
I am disappointed with your attitude and fail to see how it's my problem. I paid promptly and in good faith. What's the holdup with the merchant? Three weeks is not a question of preference; I call it disrespectful and lazy. I'm retired now, but you may be sure that when I did business it was done courteously and promptly -- and when customers contacted me, they got results!

Old 10-27-2016, 10:27 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,451,854 times
How is an uncashed check such a cause for agrivation? They did the work you gave them a good check, if they never cash it you are ahead!

Old 10-27-2016, 10:30 PM

9,991 posts, read 5,695,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I am disappointed with your attitude and fail to see how it's my problem. I paid promptly and in good faith. What's the holdup with the merchant? Three weeks is not a question of preference; I call it disrespectful and lazy. I'm retired now, but you may be sure that when I did business it was done courteously and promptly -- and when customers contacted me, they got results!
I fail to see how it's your problem too, because I fail to see why it's a problem at all. I don't see anyone arguing that you didn't pay promptly or in good faith. We just don't understand why it's so upsetting to you that they have not expeditiously taken their money out of your account. We're also pointing out that you would no longer be in "good faith" standing if you were to place a stop-payment order on the check unless you have made alternate payment arrangements.

They're letting their money sit in your account, presumably collecting interest albeit not much with today's rates. It's literally benefiting you, or at the very worst, not harming you in any way. That's what has folks responding in here scratching their heads.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:48 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,605,202 times
I send checks to my 14 year old niece who lives out of state. She prefers gift cards, but I want to know she's received my card (and check). For whatever reason her mother takes several months to cash each check. I have to prompt with texts or emails as a reminder to cash the check. I've already written off the money as spent, but I'm more peeved my niece doesn't reply or acknowledge... but that's for another day / another thread! No more checks from Auntie PhureeKeeper.

OP - You paid with a check and received a receipt from the technician. You should consider the money as debited from your account and move on. The onus is on THEM, not you. (I can actually hear those words in Judge Judy's voice!)
Next time consider paying with a credit card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products