Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 08:26 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,938,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Noticed that not one company out there have passed the cost savings with the lower price of gas on to consumers.

Everything from airline, food delivery, transportation, and produce companies hiked prices a lot when the price of gas avg almost $4/gallon and that was in 2014. In 2015 as gas price decreased, the price of food & services have not dropped but increased even though the gas prices are about 30-50% less than they were back in 2014.
You found that too? Now granted SOME of this is attributed to prices of ingredients. Didn't meats go up because of dead cattle last year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 08:30 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,597,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That's your fault for not following the instructions on the label.

Whether it flies with you or not is immaterial to the manufacturer. When faced with increasing prices or reducing quantity on the same item, most would rather reduce quantity because that will result in fewer complaints from consumers. Either way, it's a price increase. If you can't figure that out, go back to third grade math class.

That's not a scam, it's a sale. And you're free to pass on the sale.

And coffee during the recessions of the 70s and 80s. Not a new concept at all.

Then don't buy in bulk. Or is that too complicated of a concept?

Once again, you're not seeing the big picture. But it's pointless to try to explain it to you. Again.
You got a smartass attitude

Old 12-02-2016, 08:32 PM

41,991 posts, read 75,287,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
You got a smartass attitude
Thanks!

Old 12-02-2016, 08:44 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,597,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That's your fault for not following the instructions on the label.
You don't read well. I said how does the average consumer know the liquid detergent is actually super concentrated inside the bottle. Only the factory knows how much concentrate is in it. It could be half water and a regular consumer would not know. Are you always that naive and believe everything that is on labels? I bet you believe 100% juice means 100% pure natural juice when in fact it's mostly concentrate.

Whether it flies with you or not is immaterial to the manufacturer. When faced with increasing prices or reducing quantity on the same item, most would rather reduce quantity because that will result in fewer complaints from consumers. Either way, it's a price increase. If you can't figure that out, go back to third grade math class.
I don't know who you know but the people i know rather pay slightly more for the same amount. By making less quantity in a package just makes the consumer by twice as much which is a marketing scheme.

That's not a scam, it's a sale. And you're free to pass on the sale.
2 for 6 is not a sale it's bulk quantity/volume pricing there is a difference.

And coffee during the recessions of the 70s and 80s. Not a new concept at all.

Then don't buy in bulk. Or is that too complicated of a concept?
Thought it was a sale? make up your mind.

Once again, you're not seeing the big picture. But it's pointless to try to explain it to you. Again.
Your not seeing the big picture you are taking everything i said out of context. Notice nobody else in this thread is speaking in the tone you are? It's a discussion stop being angry in life and taking this topic personal.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:59 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,895,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
...It's a discussion stop being angry in life and taking this topic personal.
You just made it personal. You claim it's a discussion, then you insult someone who disagrees with you; that's not a discussion. A lot of us have seen how this price/packaging/volume thing works for a while now, and we know how to determine whether something is a good deal or gouging.

Old 12-03-2016, 04:12 AM

7,893 posts, read 11,427,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I learned division in math class. Did you learn it somewhere else?

Perhaps some people can't get a job because they can't properly fill out an application or compose even a simple resume.

God help america, indeed.
It's arithmetic that taught division. Many learn it at home at an early age.

Old 12-03-2016, 05:54 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,234,433 times
The ever dwindling portions is due to "Shopper Fixation on Price." The marketing geniuses figure that the "Shop person" will grab the cheaper product, ignoring the actual cost per unit measure. That's how 8 oz tuna cans became 4.5 oz tuna cans, sold in bundles to make up for the dwindling size.

But the real cause of the problem is CONgress for debasing the money system. That's not going to change, so we're stuck with the consequences of continual inflation and devaluation of the money.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:10 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,105,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Food has been substantially lower in the last two quarters of 2016. Year over year sales of most publicly held grocery chains have been lowering their revenue forecasts for months.
Where do people get this nonsense from?

I don't know about the wholesale price, but the cost we pay for it at the checkout keeps increasing, and has been for a few years now. Virtually every item at the grocery store has seen a 20% increase. Meat is practically unaffordable for the average family, unless you shop at Costco where it is still somwhat reasonable. The price of lower quality cuts at the regular grocery stores are approaching the prices of specialized butchers selling higher quality products.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:35 AM

32,672 posts, read 48,152,369 times
Yes, it irritates me to have packages get smaller and prices to go up.

However, I much prefer that to having the formulas on my favorite foods changed. Please do not cheapen my favorite products. I might complain about prices going up but I much prefer that to having the quality and flavor of the stuff I use changed, and not for the better.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:36 AM

41,991 posts, read 75,287,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
I don't know about the wholesale price, but the cost we pay for it at the checkout keeps increasing, and has been for a few years now. Virtually every item at the grocery store has seen a 20% increase. Meat is practically unaffordable for the average family, unless you shop at Costco where it is still somwhat reasonable. The price of lower quality cuts at the regular grocery stores are approaching the prices of specialized butchers selling higher quality products.
The only meat that I've seen increase in price is beef. Chicken is still pretty cheap - I routinely can find skinned, boned chicken breasts for $1.69. Pork is still about the same price it always has been. Turkeys are downright cheap this season. Fish has gone up a little, but not enough to get my panties in a twist about.

The price of eggs has come down substantially now that the producers are done scaring consumers over a virus that was limited in its scope. Dairy prices are about the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products