Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 02:27 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
The cost per ounce is printed on the product placard on the product shelf - no math involved.
Not always...not in every store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 02:33 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
LOL!!!! Then ask someone to calculate the cost for you.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:41 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
Folks this is not math this is simple division. Wonder why we don't have jobs... to many are clueless about the basics but we know what the Hollywood crowd is up to and they too are clueless. God help america

Old 12-02-2016, 03:26 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
I bought bananas for .29lb today they were bigger than 30 years ago

I also bought boneless chicken breast......and they also were cheaper than 30 years ago (1.29lb) and they were huge!!

they are growing the pigs a little bigger I bought a whole pork loin at the store and they were bigger!!

and that Christmas tree I'm going to cut down,,,,,,is much bigger than 30 yrs ago

Old 12-02-2016, 03:51 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,591,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Why not? Some people rather pay less for less than pay more for more, even if the math doesn't make any sense. If the corporations sell less for higher price - it means the product price went up. We see it all the times. People are generally more sensitive to changes in prices than to changes in quantity.

By paying attention to the product size, weight and price per ounce, fl oz, or price per piece. Most companies reduce products quietly, hoping consumers are not reading labels too closely.
However you don't HAVE to buy what's on the shelf. If that concerns you, you might want to compare prices and sizes with other stores.
Not what i mean. How does a consumer know if the liquid detergent is "super concentrate" when it comes out of the bottle looking the same as the regular. I think it's a scam and i still use the same amount of detergent i used too before everything went "super concentrated"

I can't speak for everyone i don't know what the hundreds of millions of consumers prefer. Some people rather pay less for less? That's not what i'm talking about. I'm talking about paying the same price or higher for less quantity. Yes i guess a lot of people are more sensitive on price hikes but price hikes combined with making products smaller doesn't fly with me.

Old 12-02-2016, 03:53 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Noticed that not one company out there have passed the cost savings with the lower price of gas on to consumers.

Everything from airline, food delivery, transportation, and produce companies hiked prices a lot when the price of gas avg almost $4/gallon and that was in 2014. In 2015 as gas price decreased, the price of food & services have not dropped but increased even though the gas prices are about 30-50% less than they were back in 2014.

Food has been substantially lower in the last two quarters of 2016. Year over year sales of most publicly held
grocery chains have been lowering their revenue forecasts for months.

Old 12-02-2016, 03:56 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
You can buy a very basic handheld calculator at a dollar store for $1. Most cell phones have a calculator function

It is NOT rocket science.

Old 12-02-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Who is this we? You got a mouse in your pocket? I don't fall for this stuff.
You don't fall for it? You pretty much don't have a choice because 90% of food that is sold is this way. They know most people are in love with their favorite food so not matter what the company changes the consumers will always fork over the money to buy it.

Old 12-02-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Food has been substantially lower in the last two quarters of 2016. Year over year sales of most publicly held
grocery chains have been lowering their revenue forecasts for months.
Could have fooled me. Another scam is the 2 for $6 but if you buy one it's $3.99 type deals. 3 12 packs of soda for $11.99 but you must buy 3. More and more supermarkets are forcing people to buy in "bulk" to get any type of savings. Used to be you can buy one case of soda and save some but no it's $5.99 a case if you buy one.

Old 12-02-2016, 04:49 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Not what i mean. How does a consumer know if the liquid detergent is "super concentrate" when it comes out of the bottle looking the same as the regular. I think it's a scam and i still use the same amount of detergent i used too before everything went "super concentrated"

I can't speak for everyone i don't know what the hundreds of millions of consumers prefer. Some people rather pay less for less? That's not what i'm talking about. I'm talking about paying the same price or higher for less quantity. Yes i guess a lot of people are more sensitive on price hikes but price hikes combined with making products smaller doesn't fly with me.
eddie if you look for a scam,,,you will find one..

many of us have been shopping for 4 or more decades.....and from campbells soup to coffee.....and just about everything have been downsized..

its not all deception,,,,,families are smaller and we throw out a huge amount of food per year.....
if you buy less you throw out less

you make it sound like we have all been deceived and we are helpless...

not true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products