Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 10:02 AM

25,960 posts, read 22,132,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
For you, Amazon Prime is not worth consideration, unless you also like old B movies. Amazon shipping is free if the items total over a certain amount anyway. I shop online mostly and find the same or better prices with free shipping other than on Amazon. A better deal would be to rent movies at Redbox and look for the best deal online for shopping.
We considered it. Yes, I went through the available movies and most I saw some time ago or would never want to see. I also noticed how many items I normally order that are available for the Prime shipping and watching youtube know for a fact that items are often promised in 2 days and do not arrive in that time.

So, if in a hurry for an item, it might make sense unless they fail to provide the 2 day service which leaves one waiting. And, if you communicate a problem to them, get ready for "Amazon India" and they don't seem to understand delivery options in our country.

We never pay shipping, just spend the minimum and ALWAYS cross reference the price to Wal-Mart's price since a problem brings us an American who understands my issue and actually helps me in the first contact rather than never with 3 or 4 contacts.

It is my understanding that the Amazon Prime isn't doing well financially. Wal-Mart is a worthy competitor and just dropped their minimum order to $35.00 for free shipping. We often pick up items at the store so we don't have to worry about their disappearing before we go home.

Weigh the options carefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 10:05 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
How long is the free trial?
I don't know, what did it say in the link I provided?
We have been prime members for five years so I have no idea what the details are now.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:09 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,149,906 times
I love Prime and think it's an amazing deal. That said, if you're placing one Amazon order every three months and are only thinking about Prime for its free shipping, it is absolutely not worth it. In fact, that would be a huge waste of money.

Here's a calculator that shows you whether Prime pays off for you:

Amazon Prime, price: Use our widget to find out if the service—now $99 per year—is a good deal for you.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:22 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
I'm thinking about signing on as an AMAZON PRIME member, I usually order something from Amazon about every 3 months, I really don't think its worth it, but if SHIPPING is free it would be.
If you buy a lot of products that are marked Prime, then it would be worth it. I buy numerous items every month so for me it's worth it. If I only purchased one or two items every 3-4 months, it would not be worth it.

There are other perks besides the free shipping. There's special offers in the Pantry and we can get free shipping there as well. They also offer free music and free movies/tv shows if you have the app on your DVD player or smart tv.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:36 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
IThey also offer free music and free movies/tv shows if you have the app on your DVD player or smart tv.
Oh yeah. That is why we got it to begin with. They had some show (Game of Thrones maybe?) That we could not get elsewhere.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:41 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
Game of Thrones is HBO so it definitely is available elsewhere--including buying episodes on many sites vs just streaming new episodes...

Old 02-08-2017, 02:05 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
My thoughts, as a longtime Prime member.

You have to identify what benefits you will use, or would use if available. Prime offers much more than free shipping so comparing the cost of Prime versus the cost of paying shipping is only relevant if you don't use the other benefits.

Not all items are eligible for Prime. And in most cases, there are non-Prime options of that item for less so you often are paying a bit extra for the item to get the free shipping.

In addition to the streaming benefits already mentioned, you can get a free Kindle book once a month, in case you're a reader.

You can get free standard shipping on most orders over $49. But it used to be $25 then $35 so who knows if next year it will be $99. They are clearly trying to phase this out or at least significantly reduce it.

Returns are so easy with Amazon, just click return and print a shipping label and drop off at a mailing store or Amazon locker. This isn't specific to Prime but a reason I look to Amazon first over competitors.

I'm always astounded when some people repeatedly have issues that most people never have. I've been placing 25-50 orders per year for over 10 years and can't recall ever having a Prime item take over a week to get shipped unless the product page said out of stock or will be available on xxx date. 3rd party marketplace sellers are so notorious for slow shipping that I avoid them as much as possible. The 2-3 day shipping is probably the biggest reason I have prime.

Old 02-08-2017, 03:23 PM

841 posts, read 553,857 times
For me it is. I have had the membership a few years and have had the prime credit card a year now. I can easily see looking at statements that over the last year, I charged $4670 at Amazon, got $222 back in credit (5% off using the prime card). That covers my prime membership cost easily.

Also, I order all the time. Little orders, big orders.
For 2017, I have already placed 27 orders. In 2016, I had 150 orders. In 2015, I had 130 orders.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:26 PM

8,069 posts, read 12,787,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
I haven't had this issue 95% of the time. This could be item-specific or because they lack a nearby warehouse to TN and that throws things off. I've gotten things the next day because it was shipped from the next state over.
The location of the warehouse should not matter when they are preparing to ship an item. When I have to wait a week or more before they even put it in a box something is wrong.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:30 PM

21 posts, read 13,294 times
You can try the trial for 30-day and if you don't like it, you may cancel it

Link: Amazon Prime 30-day Free Trial

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products