Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 01:09 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,915,241 times

Advertisements

GameStop to shutter 100+ stores - Mar. 25, 2017

Well consider your over pricing the games, consoles and useless membership fees.. I can see why most people prefer digtial over hard copy. I buy games digital, so it will always be with my profile, so incase the box goes out or disk breaks.. i still have my games. When you say you buy games, dont offer them 20 cents and turn around sell it for 40 bucks.. 80 dollars for trade in for xbox one but sell it like new for 250..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 01:27 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,498,040 times
You can buy more used gaming stuff on FB tag sales, amazon, ebay, etc. I've never been into a GS even for new things that I can find online without feeling like I got hosed walking into those stores. If need be I'll head to Target or TRU to pickup my stuff.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:27 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
They're getting "block bustered" by on-line digital sales just like you said.

I love Steam for the reasons you cited, no boxes, no lost security codes blah blah blah.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:29 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,995,615 times
I'm not a huge gamer, but I think it has been roughly 5-6 years since I've walked into a Gamestop.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:48 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,349,201 times
I prefer hard copy over digital and with blu ray technology you don't have to worry about finger prints and scratches like the old days.

When I do buy games I go to best buy, they have some amazing deals there and their customer service is amazing. Gamestop is dirty, their employees seem unhappy with life, and don't even get me started on their cons and "deals" lol. Nana nana hey hey hey goodbyeeeee!

Old 03-27-2017, 03:21 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,308,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
GameStop to shutter 100+ stores - Mar. 25, 2017

Well consider your over pricing the games, consoles and useless membership fees.. I can see why most people prefer digtial over hard copy. I buy games digital, so it will always be with my profile, so incase the box goes out or disk breaks.. i still have my games. When you say you buy games, dont offer them 20 cents and turn around sell it for 40 bucks.. 80 dollars for trade in for xbox one but sell it like new for 250..
Interesting....But, this was coming for a long time, so i'm not that surprised. Sooner than later i suppose.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:45 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,653,459 times
I download all my games now, places like gamestop underestimated the laziness of people like myself. Why get in a car, waste gas, and have to go buy a game and listen to their spiel of buying 'protection' for your game and other ludicrous mark ups and add ons.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:08 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
This doesn't surprise me. My hubby and daughter like to game. The only time we go to Game Stop is if my daughter gets a gift card from someone, otherwise we get all games on Ebay. Gamestop is way too expensive for used games!

Old 03-27-2017, 08:24 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,266,523 times
I tend to agree that this is probably just the start.. But.. Let's also be honest.. They're closing up to 200 of 6600 stores.

Kinda a drop in the bucket. Be like if they closed 1000 Subway's.. Would you particularly even notice? There's another one a block away.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:25 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
My bitter side is happy considering they are one of the places I wanted to work at and applied for (although I wonder if my city is even included).They also overprice many of their games as you said and under buy what you give them. I gave them a whole pile of games once and they only gave me like 5 bucks store credit.
They do have good deals on older used games though. I just got a Wii game in there for like 5 bucks but needless to say I won't miss them even for that. There's a used game store here that opened up not too long ago so I still have somewhere to go to. Hopefully another small business game store will take gamestop's place if these close up shop? I doubt it since brick and mortar stores are phasing out but it would be nice because with only one brick and mortar game store here it might be a bad thing with less competition. Maybe it will be okay though because you still have Walmart and Best Buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
I prefer hard copy over digital and with blu ray technology you don't have to worry about finger prints and scratches like the old days.

When I do buy games I go to best buy, they have some amazing deals there and their customer service is amazing. Gamestop is dirty, their employees seem unhappy with life, and don't even get me started on their cons and "deals" lol. Nana nana hey hey hey goodbyeeeee!
I'm a bit old school with technology so I prefer hard copy too. I don't like the idea of digital games because I like having the box and instructions. Plus if it's digital that just takes up space on your system. On the other hand a box takes up space in your residence and might make your allergies more easily aggravated but I just like certain things to be physical copies for some reason.

That's funny because I've experienced the opposite. While they suck at their prices of both buying and selling (Best Buy's prices are high too), the employees at Gamestop where I live have been reasonable with their assistance. They're not perfect but I feel like they've always tried their best at their job. Best Buy has okay customer service too lately but they have had a few significant mishaps and one time got me to walk out without buying anything because they completely ignored me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products