Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 12:42 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat5e View Post
You have to select (and pay for) one day shipping to get overnight (note on the screenshot posted it says select one day shipping, no where does it say 'free one day shipping') I did it recently when I needed a book for class ASAP and indeed got it the next day (which was a Saturday). If you look closely you will see if it isn't going to ship immediately (as someone else said usually a third party's shipping/overseas). A few times I've had something get delayed, got a note from amazon apologizing and offering various options. Usually it was a mistake locally with a shipping carrier/USPS handoff (I really hate having shipments go through the post office but that's a separate issue)
No this is a recent change. Certain Prime products, not all, now say "Get delivery by tomorrow if you order within the next 11 hours, 7 minutes". You do not have to pay extra for this if you are a Prime member.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 03:32 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
No this is a recent change. Certain Prime products, not all, now say "Get delivery by tomorrow if you order within the next 11 hours, 7 minutes". You do not have to pay extra for this if you are a Prime member.
Can provide us an example?

Old 06-23-2017, 04:30 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I just went on Amazon, under my Prime account, and did a few searches to find an item that had the "Want it tommorow, June 24? Order within the next 3 hours and 33 minutes and choose one day shipping at checkout". When I put it in my cart and went to check out I got the option of free 2 day delivery, or I could have one-day Saturday delivery for $10.99.

Old 06-23-2017, 04:54 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Yeah, asking for a concrete example usually shuts them down. When a company has thousands of transactions per second there are going to be some foulups but 9 times out of 10 when people make allegations of misleading or "false promises" it comes down to them overlooking or misunderstanding the information that was available to them.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Can provide us an example?
If you go to the Amazon home page, it says right in the top left "Prime Free One Day" then " Get FREE one day shipping on qualifying orders over $35.00". So I guess it's an enticement to get Prime members to order more at once, versus what I often do, which is to order many small, under $5-$10 things one at a time with one click over the course of a few days as I think of them. I know, I leave a heavy carbon footprint, but it's not on purpose, lol. The items themselves show up all at once when I click the "One day Prime" icon, but otherwise I saw it randomly on certain products as I was shopping. If you're not a Prime member, that list probably won't show up in your search.

I very rarely need anything in one day, but it's nice to know about.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I just went on Amazon, under my Prime account, and did a few searches to find an item that had the "Want it tommorow, June 24? Order within the next 3 hours and 33 minutes and choose one day shipping at checkout". When I put it in my cart and went to check out I got the option of free 2 day delivery, or I could have one-day Saturday delivery for $10.99.
Was your order over $35? That is the minimum required for One Day Prime, and all of the items that total $35 have to qualify for One day shipping. If you have a mix of items totaling $45, one item that says One Day for $30, and one that doesn't say One Day for $15, you won't qualify for One day shipping.

I've been an Amazon shopper for years, and of course everyone goofs up sometimes (Walmart just sent my Mom's Depends to Texas instead of NJ) but overall I think they provide good service. I;ve had refunds given and free things sent because of even minor complaints. They give their reps a lot of power to do this, which I like. I called one day last week because I couldn't find on the site where to change my Subscribe and Save address, and after he helped me he sent me a $5 gift card for my inconvenience. I sent a picture last year of dented and dirty looking boxes of Almond milk in my case, and they not only refunded my money, they sent me another case for nothing, which was close to $50.00.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:37 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
I don't have a One Day Prime icon anywhere that I can see. We do have Prime Now with 2 hour delivery (just started last week) but that's on a somewhat limited selection. I think we are going to be getting another distribution center that will allow for the One Day delivery but that's still different from what the OP posted about. In that case, the 1 day offer was definitely not free. Additionally, if you order more than one item, you have to go in and tell them to ship it all when it's available and not save up to ship all together. Mostly I try to minimize deliveries but sometimes I do want one particular item more quickly so I have to order it separately or have them ship everything in the order separately.

And I ALWAYS check the shipping date before I place the order. There have been times where it looked like I could get something more quickly based on what it said on the item page, but once I had it in the shopping cart, it had what I assume was a more accurate but later delivery date. It is a little annoying but since I can still control whether I order or not based on that information, I don't get that worked up over it. And sometimes the fix is as easy as ordering from a different seller (both fulfilled through Amazon, so it qualifies for Prime) because individual sellers can have their merchandise stocked at different warehouses and sometimes they are on different schedules as far as when they can get something out the door.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Yeah, asking for a concrete example usually shuts them down. When a company has thousands of transactions per second there are going to be some foulups but 9 times out of 10 when people make allegations of misleading or "false promises" it comes down to them overlooking or misunderstanding the information that was available to them.
I'm not sure what you mean...you asked me for a concrete example, but I am not one of those making allegations of false promises, I love Amazon as my posts have been clear about. I was explaining the new One Day benefit for Prime members.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I don't have a One Day Prime icon anywhere that I can see. We do have Prime Now with 2 hour delivery (just started last week) but that's on a somewhat limited selection. I think we are going to be getting another distribution center that will allow for the One Day delivery but that's still different from what the OP posted about. In that case, the 1 day offer was definitely not free. Additionally, if you order more than one item, you have to go in and tell them to ship it all when it's available and not save up to ship all together. Mostly I try to minimize deliveries but sometimes I do want one particular item more quickly so I have to order it separately or have them ship everything in the order separately.

And I ALWAYS check the shipping date before I place the order. There have been times where it looked like I could get something more quickly based on what it said on the item page, but once I had it in the shopping cart, it had what I assume was a more accurate but later delivery date. It is a little annoying but since I can still control whether I order or not based on that information, I don't get that worked up over it. And sometimes the fix is as easy as ordering from a different seller (both fulfilled through Amazon, so it qualifies for Prime) because individual sellers can have their merchandise stocked at different warehouses and sometimes they are on different schedules as far as when they can get something out the door.
You don't have to do that all separately, but you can check a box in the checkout process that asks if you want your items all shipped together or shipped as they are available. I don't recall exactly where it is in the process (it may be something I set in Preferences?) but I never have to order my stuff separately. When I check out my reciept looks like this:

Shaper Hair Spray blah blah price

Guaranteed Delivery by Sunday, June 25

Sunflower Seeds blah blah price

Arriving by Wednesday, June 28

You can do customer service chat, they are very responsive and will help you find it. I do phone customer service a lot too though, you check a box for them to "Call Me Now" and they actually do, it's pretty good.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:53 PM

Location: In my cat's house, until she finds a better human servant
372 posts, read 390,427 times
That's interesting about the $35-free-overnight on some items. I hadn't seen it, either my items didn't qualify or I wasn't looking- rarely need things overnight so I'm cool with the 2 day but good to know, thanks. (Different situation from the op though)

Last edited by Cat5e; 06-23-2017 at 06:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products