Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 12:26 PM

10,900 posts, read 7,393,957 times

Advertisements

That's so nice! Your pack will probably have a long and adventurous life in the scouts!

one more story: I saw a woman in the returns line at Ikea, with about 40 place settings of white dishes, wine glasses, and silverware in her cart. Looked like she bought everything for her wedding, use it, then returned it. Ugh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 12:34 PM

457 posts, read 889,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
That's so nice! Your pack will probably have a long and adventurous life in the scouts!

one more story: I saw a woman in the returns line at Ikea, with about 40 place settings of white dishes, wine glasses, and silverware in her cart. Looked like she bought everything for her wedding, use it, then returned it. Ugh!
I hope it does! I had pretty much settled on keeping both packs, but when it was suggested to donate it to the GS, I knew that's where it should go! There, it will hopefully have a more fulfilling life than what I would have provided to "purple bag number 5" lol.

Seriously....seeing some of the stories and comments on here. People will buy, use, and return just about ANYTHING!

Old 10-27-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedal Wench View Post
Good on you! You've done the right thing, and you'll always feel good whenever you 1) use your pretty blue pack, 2) see a Girl Scout, 3) run into me on the trail with my other purple backpacks, knowing you saved me $100! (P.S. Don't forget to take the tax deduction for $130!)
Ha ha! Charitable donation, AND saving someone else $100!? It's a good day for me!!
If for some crazy reason, they don't contact me back to get the pack, I'll let you know. A girl can apparently never have too many (purple) packs! lol

Old 10-27-2017, 12:42 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,057,039 times
There is the story of a rich old woman who borrowed money from her bank knowing that her ultra expensive car , used as collateral for loan, would be sorted in a heated locked garage would be safe from any damage. When she returned form her trip she handed the un-cashed loan check to the bank teller in exchange for her car keys.

She , in effect, stored her car FOR FREE in a safe place also getting a free wash and wax job as part of the loan storage program!

It's said..........No good deed goes unpunished!

Old 10-27-2017, 01:02 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
There is the story of a rich old woman who borrowed money from her bank knowing that her ultra expensive car , used as collateral for loan, would be sorted in a heated locked garage would be safe from any damage. When she returned form her trip she handed the un-cashed loan check to the bank teller in exchange for her car keys.

She , in effect, stored her car FOR FREE in a safe place also getting a free wash and wax job as part of the loan storage program!

It's said..........No good deed goes unpunished!
Wouldn't she have owed interest on the loan for the length of time of her trip?

Old 10-27-2017, 01:08 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times
OP, happy you found a solution which allows you to sleep at night.

I personally tend to be a bit more liberal in my treatment of returns. If the retailer has a 100% satisfaction return policy, there are times I will take advantage of it. For other items, if it is unused or I used it and wasn't happy with its performance and can return it in resell-able condition, I will attempt to do so.

I agree the people who put a different, older item in the box that they return (the previously mentioned TV or scale examples) are ridiculous and must not fear the repercussions of getting caught. However, retailers build this activity into their return policy/shrinkage allowance. My opinion is that this evens out in the end - either the retailer changes their return policy or increases diligence in inspecting returns.

Old 10-27-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
OP, happy you found a solution which allows you to sleep at night.

I personally tend to be a bit more liberal in my treatment of returns. If the retailer has a 100% satisfaction return policy, there are times I will take advantage of it. For other items, if it is unused or I used it and wasn't happy with its performance and can return it in resell-able condition, I will attempt to do so.

I agree the people who put a different, older item in the box that they return (the previously mentioned TV or scale examples) are ridiculous and must not fear the repercussions of getting caught. However, retailers build this activity into their return policy/shrinkage allowance. My opinion is that this evens out in the end - either the retailer changes their return policy or increases diligence in inspecting returns.
Thanks! I just have the whole guilty conscience thing about using it, loving it, and returning it for no good reason. Yeah, if it had a defect, or became damaged on the first trip out - not due to my treatment - or if it were uncomfortable in some major kind of way, I'd definitely be ok with taking it back.

The only thing that currently prevents me from sleeping at night.....would be the dog that sleeps in the bed with me, OR the "watch dog" that stays in the living room and psycho barks at the wind, or shadows, or whatever else seems to set him off (I've yet to have him pyscho bark for a legitimate *to me* reason). lol

Old 10-27-2017, 01:22 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Wouldn't she have owed interest on the loan for the length of time of her trip?
If it was a true story, yes.

Old 10-27-2017, 01:25 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,979,734 times
I would never return something that I'd used unless it was defective.

Just because a retailer will take used items back unquestioned doesn't mean it's right to take advantage of that policy.

Old 10-27-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I would never return something that I'd used unless it was defective.

Just because a retailer will take used items back unquestioned doesn't mean it's right to take advantage of that policy.
That's been the consensus with this thread for the most part. At least I know in *here* on *this topic* I am surrounded by like-minded people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products