Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 06:46 AM

457 posts, read 889,779 times

Advertisements

Either I'm crazy, or very old fashioned...something. I don't know. I'd love to get more opinions on this.

I bought a new backpack for hiking a couple of weeks ago. It was the only one they had in store in this particular model. I really liked the pack, so I bought it. For whatever reason, the next day, I was still shopping around online and found the same bag (from the same outfitter) online, but in a very nice blue color, and ordered it, hoping that it would arrive before my hiking trip in a week.

It didn't arrive before I left for my trip. It actually arrived the same day that I left, but several hours later, of course. So, I took the bag that I had purchased, and used it for the 3 days of hiking. Now that I have both bags, I listed the used bad on a couple of sites for sale, for $30 less than what I paid for it.

It seems the only responses that I'm getting are everyone telling me to return it. I got it from REI, and they do have a great return/exchange policy, but...really? I see returning a used item if it's defective in some way, or you determine after using it once that it doesn't suit your needs as you thought it would, but returning a used item simply because you'd rather have the exact same item in a different color? That just doesn't seem right, or fair to me.

What are your thoughts? Am I being too "uptight" about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 06:52 AM

15,145 posts, read 27,800,655 times
I wouldn't return it - REI isn't in the business of "renting" things for a trip and then taking them back.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:54 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Returning used items just bc you don't want it anymore is scuzzy.
Just scuzzy.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:55 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times
If it was defective, return it. If the store has an “unlimited satisfaction” guarantee, return it. Otherwise don’t return it.

I returned a used generator to Costco 5 years later and yes, I did get a refund. But it developed a leak (wasn’t related to use or abuse) and Costco is known for accepting returns. I’m also a huge customer there. And even then I felt a bit shady.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I wouldn't return it - REI isn't in the business of "renting" things for a trip and then taking them back.
That's exactly my thought. Just because you CAN doesn't mean that you SHOULD.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Returning used items just bc you don't want it anymore is scuzzy.
Just scuzzy.
I think so too. It's sad that so many people apparently take full advantage of such good policies.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
If it was defective, return it. If the store has an “unlimited satisfaction” guarantee, return it. Otherwise don’t return it.

I returned a used generator to Costco 5 years later and yes, I did get a refund. But it developed a leak (wasn’t related to use or abuse) and Costco is known for accepting returns. I’m also a huge customer there. And even then I felt a bit shady.
REI does have a 100% satisfaction guarantee policy. My thought is, color doesn't affect function, and I bought the exact bag in a different color, so now have a purple bag, and a blue bag. I'll go with the whole "a girl's gotta have options" motto and keep them both (or return the new and unused blue one). lol

Old 10-26-2017, 07:05 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittKat View Post
I think so too. It's sad that so many people apparently take full advantage of such good policies.
There are lower scumbags.

There was this couple I knew who would buy a new tv, put the old one in the box, return it...and then brag about it. Like t hey were some lifehack geniuses.

Did it with other products, too.

Suffice it to say first and last time I ever hung out with them.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
There are lower scumbags.

There was this couple I knew who would buy a new tv, put the old one in the box, return it...and then brag about it. Like t hey were some lifehack geniuses.

Did it with other products, too.

Suffice it to say first and last time I ever hung out with them.

That's some nefarious stuff right there. Dang. I'm not really surprised though. People of the world today...

Old 10-26-2017, 07:16 AM

130,460 posts, read 12,124,678 times
Return the unused one, I could never return a used item, unless it was defective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products