Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 08:45 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,563,439 times

Advertisements

We have about 10 parking spots out front of my local walmart marked "Online pickup". Supposedly you can buy online and just park in one of those spots and they bring the stuff out to your car. No clue how they know when you arrive, maybe I click on a link or something? I'm not sure how fast they are either. Maybe I'll give it a try soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 11:05 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,046,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
We have about 10 parking spots out front of my local walmart marked "Online pickup". Supposedly you can buy online and just park in one of those spots and they bring the stuff out to your car. No clue how they know when you arrive, maybe I click on a link or something? I'm not sure how fast they are either. Maybe I'll give it a try soon.
The Walmart here has special parking spots for the "in store pickup", but you still have to go in to the store to pick up your stuff. I guess its to make it more convenient, so you don't have to park at the back of the parking lot and then walk to the far back corner of the store to pick up.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:25 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,563,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The Walmart here has special parking spots for the "in store pickup", but you still have to go in to the store to pick up your stuff. I guess its to make it more convenient, so you don't have to park at the back of the parking lot and then walk to the far back corner of the store to pick up.
Yeah, when I first saw them that's what I thought they were. But the signs said, park here and wait for your product to be brought out to your car. I did see an employee sitting near the spots in a booth with a chair so maybe they approach cars that park their and get order info?

Old 11-20-2017, 02:04 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,799,691 times
Our nearest Walmart has a pretty poor online pickup system. You have to trek all the way to the back of the store to get your items. What’s worse, online order pickup closes at 8 even though the Walmart is open 24/7...why? To make matters even worse, I’ve had orders canceled with no explanation, items arrived damaged, etc.

My favorite online pickups are at Best Buy and Sears. Best Buy has online pickup right by the entrance, and there’s rarely a wait. They get you in and out. Sears is even better - you don’t have to leave your car. Just park right outside and they’ll bring the items to you.

Old 11-22-2017, 02:05 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,069,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
Our nearest Walmart has a pretty poor online pickup system. You have to trek all the way to the back of the store to get your items. What’s worse, online order pickup closes at 8 even though the Walmart is open 24/7...why? To make matters even worse, I’ve had orders canceled with no explanation, items arrived damaged, etc.

My favorite online pickups are at Best Buy and Sears. Best Buy has online pickup right by the entrance, and there’s rarely a wait. They get you in and out. Sears is even better - you don’t have to leave your car. Just park right outside and they’ll bring the items to you.
More and more Walmart stores are upgrading to having the pickup location at the front of the store, and many you just park out front and they bring you the items. Check with the manager at your local Walmart to ascertain when the upgrade may be forthcoming. They are very competitive.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:09 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,196,334 times
So I placed an online order with a competitor, just one order with multiple items. The emails I received for 'order ready' show all the items ordered and you have to look closely to see which items actually say shipped and which are still pending. I think it would be quite easy to think you were being notified your entire order was ready when in fact it's only a part of the order.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:19 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,557,172 times
I have done BOPUS (Buy Online and Pick Up in Store) at Target, JCP, and Dick's Sporting Goods and it has been a flawless experience in each case. I will be picking up an order from Walgreens.com soon. They had some items that were cheaper than on Amazon, but not available in the stores. So I chose free delivery to store.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:20 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,046,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I have done BOPUS (Buy Online and Pick Up in Store) at Target, JCP, and Dick's Sporting Goods and it has been a flawless experience in each case. I will be picking up an order from Walgreens.com soon. They had some items that were cheaper than on Amazon, but not available in the stores. So I chose free delivery to store.
I've done store pick up with Target a few times, and it's always been easy. Usually I'll buy online while I'm in the store, because when I scan with cartwheel it comes up as cheaper online. Then by the time I finish my shopping it's ready to pick up at custom service.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:03 AM

4,727 posts, read 4,435,338 times
I have done this at Walmart and my experience is that I walk to the end of the back of the store, no one is there- I pick up a phone and ask for help, eventually someone comes. They are not the one authorized to do this online stuff so we wait for someone else, eventually they come and look for the item (there might be 3 that are in the online queue) and eventually they give it to me.
It's fine as shipping is free and I get what I want that the store is probably out of in my color/size etc preference.
However, each time I think to myself that the store is just not ready to deal with online ordering if this is as challenging as it seems to be. I guess it's a work in progress and EVENTUALLY they will get it to work smoothly.

Old 11-26-2017, 01:11 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,557,172 times
Pick-up for Target is at customer service, which is at the front of the store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products